knocking in c5 engine.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: knocking in c5 engine.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I cannot advise on this, as I only have experience of solid flywheels (Gracie being a Xantia, DMF don't exist for her). I would wait for Chris (Citromad) to pick up on this, or send him a PM for his opinion. Remember though, it will only be an opinion, not manufacturer advise.

However, just a thought. If Valeo and LUK make solid flywheel conversions kits, then at least two things apply; a, there is a market for them, and b, they thought it was safe for them to be made (and by that I mean the engines can take them, not that they could get away with it). I did a search on their websites, and Valeo have this information;

http://www.valeoservice.com/html/united ... 249FC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I get most of my spares from ebay without to much trouble, you need to look at their feedback though. My C5 is on nearly 200,000 miles and still has the original clutch and DMF, clutch pedal is near the top but hasn't got any worse since I had it.

Anyway, sorry to hear of your problem and hope you get it sorted OK.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had a replacement clutch and DMF in 2009, Valeo parts, total cost was £498 although he did do a few other odds and ends in with that.
He advised against a solid flywheel as there were reports, mainly from Fords, of the gearbox failing following a solid flywheel conversion.
Chris seemed to think that theirs was fine.

As it turned out, mine didn't need replacing at that time but would have done before much longer.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The 2.0 HDI 16V as fitted to Boris's C5 uses an LUK self adjusting clutch. AFAIK no solid converison is available for this clutch (it is different to links posted up above). 5 hours labour to change it is very good going - I have changed one and it is a right PITA!! If you're not doing many miles, Boris, it may well soldier on noisily for quite some miles yet. The one I helped change had done about 90k, and the friction plate was hardly worn, but the DMF was so worn that the inner part was touching the outer, and aluminium dust was falling out! IIRC Citroenmad's one went at only 30k.....
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Anyone got a picture of a busted DMF? I've not seen one and wonder exactly what breaks and if maybe they can be repaired rather than replaced.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'm sure they can be repaired. I'm sure Kingas the strut top chap in Lithuania has repairs for them listed on his website. Cheap too. If it's not him, it's another Lithuanian chap. It was only 30 or 40 euros too. I'll see if I can find the site later. I hate searching on my phone..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

That would be good. The garage guy said the spring goes and the inner bit starts to knock.

The worry for me is I could pay for all this and still have the knock. I do trust the guy tho. He knows his stuff.

But a repair kit would be of interest just in case.
C'est pas possible!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

http://www.elastomer.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whether or not the type of DMF that he repairs will work for you, I don't know.

He has a good reputation for his strut-top repairs on here and the XM forum.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Just to ask. If theres a conversion kit for solid fly wheel should i go for that or is yhat asking for trouble.

Also so on other post someyhing re cylinder slave. What is it and should i het yhat changed too while at it?
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Here's the quote from the garage. In all...WTF!!!!

Hi Boris the total fitted inc vat for genuine Citroen clutch & modified dual mass flywheel inc bolts is £736

Postscript

That price should be plus VAT not inclusive. Parts from Citroen alone are £535.20.

Thinking of writing off the £2 grand as a last daliance with Citroens.
C'est pas possible!
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi,

Having listened to your video I do think that your garage is right about the DMF. I wouldn't fit a solid flywheel given that the DMF is designed to smooth out the torque peaks from the firing of the motor, and the extra stress could shorten the life of the gearbox and so forth, as well as making the car less refined to drive.

Given the size of the job the price quoted for the labour actually seems on the low side (yes I know!). Even the price for the new clutch and DMF is about right. I am assuming that VAT needs to be added to the parts price, which would bring the price up to about £640, which is probably UK 'list' for these parts.

I have just looked on Oscaro.com (the parts site I use here in France) and the discounted price for those two parts alone is around £380, with a list price of just under £700 (£350 for the complete clutch and £335 for the DMF).

Unfortunately, if you get rid of the car you could have exactly the same issue with any other modern diesel, as they just about all have a DMF fitted, and quite possibly practically the same unit as is in your C5.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I wont be getting another car. I can't afford it for now. Wasn't complaining re price of garage but price in general. It's alot of dosh.
C'est pas possible!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I know Citroenmad Chris has fitted a solid flywheel conversion to their C5 and it's been fine.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Possibly Mike, but not on the 2.0 16V AFAIK for which there isn't solid conversion - and it's not a whole lot cheaper than a new DMF anyway ....
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Buy yourself a Mk1 8 valve C5 for about £500 and if anything goes seriously wrong with it you can throw it away and buy another - that's what I do.

Peter