Re: an IT one for the techy's ( update ) more update

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Or you might not as it's a buggy piece of s**t for me! I just have my Google account backup my phone, does much the same thing. Cloud is the way. It's the only thing I use Google for but I've not worked out a way to not use one with an Android phone.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

northern_mike wrote:Or you might not as it's a buggy piece of (-expletive removed-) for me! I just have my Google account backup my phone, does much the same thing. Cloud is the way. It's the only thing I use Google for but I've not worked out a way to not use one with an Android phone.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
I can help you there :)

In settings > security you can enable "Unknown sources" (assuming Samsung haven't messed with the settings menu too much) which allows you to install apk files (apps) from sources other than the Google Play store.
If memory serves you will need to do a factory reset to remove the Google account, it's been a while since I've done it. Then when asked to set up a Google account, just skip it.
To back up, just find one of the many backup apps by searching with Yahoo or Bing (Chinese for disease incidentally).
Or you could root your phone and use Titanium backup.
I'm pretty sure that'll make you Google free, but be sure you're getting those APKs from a secure source, you don't want to install anything dodgy.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Re: an IT one for the techy's ( update )

Post by citronut »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Malcolm, now you have got your phone fixed you might want to download and use Samsung Kies software, so you can backup your phone;

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i do have Samsung Kies, although my son has set my Galaxy S2 up to backup to goooogly,

so its either use goooogly/big brother is watching you,
Xac wrote: To back up, just find one of the many backup apps by searching with Yahoo or Bing (Chinese for disease incidentally).

or put your trust in the mine field of app's out there,

which one is the lesser of the two :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As I have a Sony phone I use the free app they provided. I have found it to be reliable and simple to use. I have no experience of the Samsung software; I just mentioned it as I was aware if it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i find Samsung very smooth to use and never really had any issues with the software either,

unlike nok nok Nokia, orible software ,

also i dont like the Android HTC i have been using whilst my Galaxy were out of action
Regards, malcolm.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

citronut wrote:fixed me Galaxy S2 now,

bought a new Genuine???? ) front end the seller assures me it is a Genuine Samsung part,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171321261458? ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but when it turned up it was not in/with the box/packaging in the photo,

on asking the seller to confirm it is genuine, he says he does not send them out in the original packaging as it is only thin paper???????

anyhow i fitted it this morning and it all seems to work fine
although this galaxy is working fine from its encounter with my crow bar and lump hammer ( just kidding ) on installing the new front end,
the volume up button did not work,

now my son is attempting to re/install the firmware as it would not let mne install any app updates in recent months,

he required the up button to function,
so i just opend it back up to see if i could work out why the up button failed,

ther you go, on lifting the mother board off the chassis when i fitted the new front end ,
i had not noticed the volume button strip is stuck with twin stick to the chassis side, so on getting me two foot crow bar
( just a tad over kill or what #-o :missile: :missile: :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink: ) i ripped two of the solder joints from the flexi print to mother board #-o :roll: :wink:

i have just re/soldered these two joint back together yippy she works up and down again
Last edited by citronut on 09 Jan 2015, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, malcolm.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: an IT one for the techy's ( update ) more update

Post by CitroJim »

Well done Malcolm =D> Good work!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...