thinking of a new car

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: thinking of a new car

Post by vborovic »

If you're thinking of getting a non-manual gearbox, go for the fully automatic 6-speed gearbox, don't pick the "piloted" automatic gearbox ... that one has up/down gear handles on the steering wheel, IMO it is terrible, and you don't have SNOW and SPORT modes for the transmission on that one ...
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

think it will be manual love the auto boxes but have never had any joy with them so tend to keep away from then. but then again it is a long time since ive had one
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yes, keep your teeth clean, because you will probably be smiling a lot more. :-D
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I guess the most important thing when buying a second hand one (mine was too) is to have all the installed equipment in working condition, of course, the mechanical parts should be in top shape as well ... What I mean for the electrical parts, ex. window heaters working, headlamp washers working, folding mirrors working ... the seller should give you the full spec list and it would be great to check everything, if possible ... because the later repairs will raise the end price you need to pay for the car to be fully working (if you'd be bothered by this, I know I would be ... :D ) ...
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

yes im smiling just thinking about it . think this one will be from a dealer with a warranty to cover any unexpected problems. colours seem a bit limited on the ones ive looked at so far. white black or grey odd red one but high milage. cant belive you can get a 2010 with 15000 miles for 10 grand.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Don't assume a Citroen warranty will cover any unexpected problems ! I don't think Citroen resist doing inexpensive warranty repairs, but expensive ones or ones that will set a precident (reference: 1.6Hdi turbos ???) may be a different matter :(
A few years ago, I did try to find out what exactly made a car a Citroen Approved one i.e. what checks they carried out and what was deemed acceptable to sell but I drew a blank - the info might be easier to find now as I haven't checked since.
In the end, a main dealer is as eager to sell cars off their forecourt as any other car dealer and buyer beware is still very much the order of the day :(
As for the X7 itself, I find mine perfectly OK - but not great, but I do find it's got large blind spots on the 'A' post for checking oncoming vehicles at (say) a roundabout, and at the 'B' pillar for checking your blind spot when pulling out to overtake. I also find the steering wheel uncomfortable to hold after prolonged journeys - but then that'll undoubtedly all be due to my size and seating position !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

qprdude wrote: I have the 2.2l exclusive 173 and in 18 months, I have had the air-con re-gassed and the tyre sensors replaced FOC by Citroen. That's it.(I had it serviced to comply with the warranty)
They do seem to have a slightly mixed bag of reviews. I spotted a C5III I liked the look of recently and had a quick look online at reviews as it was linked to the advert. The first one I came across was terrible for reliability and I stopped reading. Mind, If I'd have listened to reviews I would probably have never bought a Citroen and if you read the Honest John website, probably never buy a car!

I can see myself getting a C5III, I keep looking at something more up to date and they are starting to tempt me.

Citroen dealers have not been too impressive for the small repairs our cars have needed under warranty through the years. Nothing major to repair but they did need a good push to get things done and numerous calls. The dealer network really lets them down and most Citroen dealers only supply a 3 month warranty on used cars. Of course, they will take more of your money if you would like to purchase a longer one but what that covers is probably not a lot. After all, just about everything can be classed as 'wear and tear'.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

You can really only speak as you find.
I prefer to read reviews from actual owners rather than the Jeremy Clarkson brigade, and the like. Many of the reviewers spend a couple of hours in the car at most, and a lot of them are journalists who wouldn't know a decent motor from a cows ar*e .
There is absolutely nothing better than a review from an owner who has experience of the car over a period of time, in different road conditions and in all weathers. I'm never quite convinced that magazine/newspaper/TV reviews are entirely unbiased. Who knows what they are being paid, or by whom?
I bought my C5 from a Citroen main agent and received a 3 year , yes,3 year warranty, from the company, such is their confidence in the product.
I suppose it depends on which dealer you decide to give your custom. Research is the watchword when shelling out your hard earned.
Rick.

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, it was owner reviews I looked at. Magazine road tests are ok but I agree, sometimes I don't think they have even seen the car they are writing about, let alone experienced it.

3 year warranty on a used car? I'm impressed, you must let us know which Citroen dealer that was.

Unfortunately the three most local Citroen dealers to here are Evans Halshaw, while they do have their plus points (erm, can't think of any at the moment ...) they are a massive organisation ran for money. The fact their sales people don't know what a Xantia is, let alone anything older, annoys me enough to avoid them. Its not right that I know more about the cars they are selling than they do, I get tired of putting them right.

There used to be a family ran Citroen dealer in our town, a brilliant little place where many of my family bought new and used Citroens. Unfortunately they are no longer around.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

nearest dealer to me is evans halshaw 500 yards away. been in not even got a c5 in new or second hand and not much good for information. prefer to listen to people on here for a honest opinion. no car is 100% but if you treat them right they are normally pretty good. people swear by ford personally they are the car i have had most trouble with.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I read one review of the C5 III tourer which rated it below the Mondeo because the rear seats were less easy to fold flat. If that's the best they can come up with .....

9 years ago I bought a year old SAAB 9-5 estate 2.0 petrol. Highly unfashionable, poor reviews and one of the best cars I have ever owned. Just over 2 years ago, with almost 100k on the clock and few repair bills looming I decided to change and got a year old 20k miles C5 III tourer, VTR + nav 160 hdi manual. Would have liked a proper suspension one but this was available and right price plus loads of extras including glass roof and gangster tints at the back. Equally unfashionable and poor reviews, but a lot of car for the money I paid. Need a big car to move my son and his percussion kit. Can't see myself in a Mondeo insignia even though the Ford is probably a really sensible option, German metal is just too in your face, SAAB is no more, and I expect the next generation Citroens to be as dull as dishwater.

2 years on and 50k has come up. I have needed tyres, fronts last 22 k, rears 45k, one set of wiper blades and a sidelight bulb, and onE set of front pads at 48k. It does 47mpg on average, it all works and I have been lucky with no faults. We do have a good family owned dealership nearby of it does go wrong.

It's very awkward in tight spaces, and you curse the poor rear visibility especially in the dark whe parking. Same size as the SAAB but feels bigger. Not an ideal town car by any means.

Set against that, 5 people, a roof box, and a day drive from Cambridge to Geneva in winter is a breeze. Last week I had a trip from Cambridge to Manchester to Yorkshire and back, 420 miles and got home happy, 2 non-complaining passengers and no aches and pains. It's a brilliant long distance machine. Real performance especially 40-80 in 4th or 5th when the motorway unblocks in front of you.

Silly price new, no wonder they don't sell many, exceptional value of you can get a good second hand one. Now it must be worth just a few pence so I will keep,it and enjoy keeping it for another 50k miles. Very happy, and although I miss the SAAB it did 28mpg, when I fill the C5 and see the DTE go up to 680 rather than 300 miles I smile.

A very happy owner.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I think it mostly depends on the initial state of the car, when you buy it 2nd-hand ... if the car is without (major) issues and flaws for the first few years, then each car would be good ... it really comes down to luck ... I've done almost 6000 km with my car, no signs of anything going wrong ... hopefully, it'll be obedient for another 100k km ... :) ...
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

now these are real reviews thanks
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

oneday wrote:nearest dealer to me is evans halshaw 500 yards away. been in not even got a c5 in new or second hand and not much good for information. prefer to listen to people on here for a honest opinion. no car is 100% but if you treat them right they are normally pretty good. people swear by ford personally they are the car i have had most trouble with.
Yeah, you might struggle unless you are willing to travel for the right car. You should be able to pick up a VTR+Nav, but an Exclusive will be more elusive!
An exclusive with FULL leather/ heated/ memory will be harder still (don't accept that when the say "Leather seats" they mean full leather. It's just leather panels)

An exclusive, with the real suspension, full leather and Sat Nav, are as rare hen's teeth. You will have to be patient and ready to travel.

I waited for months for mine, then two came along at once.
One, an auto, had 10,000 miles more on the clock and was £500 dearer. The one I chose had a fantastic warranty, 24,500 miles on the clock and was from a Citroen dealer. They also gave me £500 more for my Saab 9-3 TiD sport and a pleasant buying experience. (and a further £600 or so off the marked price. (the first lot wouldn't shift on price or P/X )

They are a long long way from you in Mansfield so probably not an option, but it might be an idea to call some dealers, leave your name and requirements etc and see if anything turns up.

I bought mine from Ness Motors. The Citroen place is in Inverness (surprise surprise) and the have Renault and Saab dealerships in Forres? and Perth. They have been very good so far.
Rick.

oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

thanks really good advice. i am prepared to travel for the right one and at this time not in a rush.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN