Xantia-My solution is to smash a window!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Re: Xantia-My solution is to smash a window!

Post by dnsey »

IIRC, if you unlock but don't open the doors within a certain time, they re-lock (something like that, anyway).
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

dnsey wrote:IIRC, if you unlock but don't open the doors within a certain time, they re-lock (something like that, anyway).
Not that I'm aware of! Neither my S1 or S2 Xantia's have done anything like that...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

That sounds about right dsney. The unbelievable thing is the exact moments it decides to do this trick have coincided and conspired to block my plans to get on and do stuff! Its got a mind of its own.

I have had a bit of a paddle around youtube and found this:-

The big easy

It involves basically inserting a wedge in the car door and inserting a metal rod of appropriate thickness through the gap into the cabin, and attempting to hook/press the door catches/locking buttons

Others like how to unlock your car door with a shoelace (in 10 seconds!)/tennis ball etc I don't think have much of a chance.

You must have tried your method successfully Addo but its a bit dark in Northumberland to see the small black round plug and work out how to get it out. Its that time of year when you go to work in the dark and come back home in the dark. It'll be the weekend before I get the chance to have a decent look.

For those forum members who have had the RAC/AA/Locksmith come to the rescue what method did they use? Some variation of the "big Easy"?

Kind regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Mandrake »

addo wrote:You need a long-ish flat blade screwdriver, tip width about 5/32" and bare steel shaft at least 8" long. You also need a cruciform key of any cut.

Look at the back edge of the front door, you will see a small black round plug about 3/8" diameter. Use the screwdriver or a pick tool to pull this plug out.

Now bend the screwdriver shank slightly in a vice, keep the blade vertical and bend about 4" from the tip; not sure what angle by numbers but maybe 5-10 degrees. Insert the screwdriver into the hole keeping the tip vertical. Tilt the shaft upwards and "feel" for the lock release hole that's at 9 o'clock on the driver's door cylinder. Adjust the bend of your screwdriver if required. Put your cruciform key into the hole and turn 90° so it won't pull out. Whilst pushing in the barrel release hole, pull/wiggle on the key and the barrel eventually releases (the o-ring seal usually gums it in slightly).

Last step is to turn the slotted receiving shaft at back of the lock barrel recess, about 45 degrees to unlock the door.
Good advice on how to remove a lock barrel, with two slight problems in the current circumstances:

1) If he can't get the door open he can't get access to the rubber grommet where the release for the lock barrel is. You have to get the door open first somehow before the barrel can be removed!

2) When the barrels go into "spinning mode", you can't use the key turned 90 degrees to pull the barrel out as the key is not fully engaged in the tumblers. It's very difficult (but not quite impossible) to pull the barrel out with a small hooked tool when its spinning, usually the only practical way is to remove the door card and push it out from behind while a screwdriver presses the release tab.

Spinning barrels are caused by the sliding mechanism that holds the tumblers seizing - normally when you push the key in the last 2mm of movement slides the tumbler assembly in so it lines up correctly, in a spinning lock the slide will be jammed so the key will be sticking out 2mm further than it should be even though it feels like its pushed fully home.

I'd try plenty of thin penetrating lubricant like LPS1 and push the key in and out lots of times giving it a little extra shove when the key is "fully" inserted, also try to apply a good amount of inwards pressure while you very carefully try to turn it back and forth slightly. Persistence often pays off.

Some heat from a hair dryer on the lock to warm it up might help too - I noticed that my drivers lock tries to spin when its cold, (I too normally use the fob) which is presumably the cold causing the slide mechanism to seize slightly.

If you can get the barrel out, they can be stripped down and lubricated/repaired without too much difficulty, saving an expensive replacement. I've successfully reconditioned four different Xantia lock barrels, all of which were intermittently or permanently spinning.
Last edited by Mandrake on 04 Dec 2013, 18:56, edited 6 times in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

I once had a burglar breaking into my Xantia. He broke the round plastic where you insert the key and pushed in to open the door. Seemed like a crude job.

You could try the same, and later replace the plastic portion from the other car.
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks aneesh I am gradually collecting a range of options of varying severity to get back into the car with my smashing the window last resort being at the most severe end of the scale! If the less severe ones don't produce the right result following in your burglar's footsteps may be worth a try!

Thanks for the information Simon. If somehow I can get the key/lock combination to work that's the best solution so I will give your suggestions a go.

Kind regards
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Dont smash a window, you will regret it big time as you will NEVER get rid of all the broken bits. You will be forever finding broken bits & there will be bits inside the door skin that will rattle about that you cant get to.
Call the AA or RAC, if you are a member they wont charge you. There are loads of options to get into this car without any damage, even if the deadlocks are on it wont be a problem.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: For those forum members who have had the RAC/AA/Locksmith come to the rescue what method did they use? Some variation of the "big Easy"?

Kind regards Neil
The RAC used a slim jim to get into my Cavalier when I locked myself out.

It goes down the side of the glass and operates the locking rod.

You could buy yourself a whole set and either become an automotive locksmith or start a life of crime

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slim-Jim-Univer ... B00FOJ96CU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Xac

The "Slim Jim"' kit is cheaper than "The Big Easy" which is more an American thing-in the USA you can get them at Wal-Mart and the dollar price is pretty cheap.

I think I am more likely to come up with some less than satisfactory home made job!

I am in the AA with gold membership for roadside assistance and relay, but dont have the "Home Start" option to extend the normal roadside cover to your home. A phone call will no doubt clear up what they will and will not do. I feel I am on a bit of dodgy ground calling them out to a Sorned car with ineffective worn out locks.

Kind regards
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Give them a call, you never know it might just be a small one off charge to have them come out.

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You can access the grommet with the door shut. That's why I described the method. Manipulating the lock rod is harder.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The worst possible scenario is if the car has deadlocked! (Please don't have deadlocked [-o< [-o< [-o< ). Good luck.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:Give them a call, you never know it might just be a small one off charge to have them come out.
As a rule they don't touch untaxed cars. I know this from having an argument about it with them. Tax on my MX5 ran out on a Saturday. I *would* have been home before midnight if the alternator belt hadn't failed. I called them out at 11.30pm They arrived at 12.40am and got arsey about it not being taxed.

I was sorning it, that's why it wasn't already retaxed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Xac wrote:Give them a call, you never know it might just be a small one off charge to have them come out.
As a rule they don't touch untaxed cars. I know this from having an argument about it with them. Tax on my MX5 ran out on a Saturday. I *would* have been home before midnight if the alternator belt hadn't failed. I called them out at 11.30pm They arrived at 12.40am and got arsey about it not being taxed.

I was sorning it, that's why it wasn't already retaxed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Sounds like it wasn't in a legal position Mike, if you were away from home. So if they fixed it, it would mean them being responsible for you being able to drive an untaxed car on the road. So a totally different situation to Neil's.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:The worst possible scenario is if the car has deadlocked! (Please don't have deadlocked [-o< [-o< [-o< ). Good luck.
A slim jim would sort that too, you just have to hook on the door handle rod rather than the lock button rod. :)

DIY sphere tool