doseour valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Xantia has poor brakes

Post by Xantidote »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I have a small hand pump which will get most of the fluid out
Yes, I found it useful to remove tank's contents before removing the tank. I didn't disconnect all the pipes/tubes, so had to manoevre the tank out at awkward angle. Glad I had placed newspapers & rags underneath to catch the remaining LHM as it made it's escape bid.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
martscar
My Cars:

Post by martscar »

Yes I also have a syphon pump so anything to make it easier.I feel sure its all down to bleeding the so and so's. At first ,after the mot my thoughts were that a mechanical problem,i.e a valve or something was to blame but now thinking about it, all the spheres have been out, fluid changed and I have only taken a cup or so from each of the front 2.Now I have got some info from everyone it seems that I was naïve.I presumed that they would vent for some reason ,especially when the SEEMED to be ok.I am of to get some fluids and looking forward to a day or so in the garage
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have hydraflushed 2 Xantae, and it took me about 3 hours each. Care and planning help a lot. One thing I try to remember to do is to remove each bleed nipple and grease the thread with copper slip grease (for future work). Any that look scruffy will be replaced. Be aware that the front and rear nipples are different.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
martscar
My Cars:

Post by martscar »

Did you notice any improvements at all?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

To be honest, I couldn't tell. However, as the hydraflush is in the system for quite some time (remember, no more than 3,000 miles) any changes might take time to occur, and be gradual, so you might not notice the improvement. I just did the hydraflush because it was due, to make sure nothing did go wrong. There was no other (obvious) reason, other than Citroen recommend it is done.

Think of the system thus; A hot water system will (unless treated) slowly start to 'fur' up with limescale. The pipes working diameter will be reduced, valves will start to stick, and so on. Now imaging what will happen when you treat that system to Fernox. The limescale will get broken down, so the valves will free up, and the pipes will get back to full carrying capacity. The worst that can happen (and it could) is that small leaks might show up which had been plugged by said limescale. The Fernox cannot cause rapid results, as it might also cause damage to the system itself.

When I did my 2 Xantae what went in was a pinkish colour, and what came out was very much darker. Even if I didn't cure any problems it is likely I extended the period as to when they might occur.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

From what I have read elsewhere on this forum, it is not as 'greasy' as LHM, so that means that moving parts aren't getting lubricated to the same degree as they do with LHM in the system. I believe that Citroen state a distance of between 1500KM and 5000KM (about 1,000 to 3,000 miles).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

superloopy wrote:My hydraflush has been in for around 5k miles
Think I'd be draining it off and refilling with LHM before the winter sets in. Done a hydraflush once on my TD - only kept it in for 1 - 1.5k IIRC

Martin, I'll be interested in anything you find or do which improves the braking. My brakes were only just over 50% at last MoT, but as the tester observed, I'd not long fitted new Pagit front discs & pads. Not tried them recently to see how much they've bedded in, as temporarily using another car (Japanese - do I hear BOOO HISSSS? :-D ). The rear discs are showing signs of pitting corrosion due to lack of use & load in the boot which may also have affected the % figure.
Martin

martscar
My Cars:

Post by martscar »

Hi,your rears are a easy and fairly cheap fix but I am interested to hear about your 50% problem.Sure I will let you know, and likewise would be good.How long and what mileage did you do prior to the MOT with the new pads/discs
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i was always told hydraflush should only be in the system for 1,000miles
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Am I wrong in thinking Two concrete slabs in the boot was the way to keep the MoT testers happy ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stickyfinger wrote:Am I wrong in thinking Two concrete slabs in the boot was the way to keep the MoT testers happy ?
or the mother in law :yikes: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Did a Google search, and found this;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

martscar wrote:How long and what mileage did you do prior to the MOT with the new pads/disc
The new front discs and pads had done 787 miles before the MoT- would really have expected them to have more or less bedded in by then. Time will tell whether the brakes improve, but suspect they're not as good as some people suggest Xantia brakes should be
Martin

martscar
My Cars:

Post by martscar »

Never had a problem getting brakes to work 100% after replacing, always worked straight away. Mine have done a few thousand since fitting and MOT. Getting the right sequence for fluid flush and replacement is tricky. I will flush so it seems a waste to clean filters ect first as hopefully any debris will be caught there. I intend to syphon all I can from the tank, then turn the steering side to side to empty the steering ram, refill with the flush fluid and last of all bleed the brakes. Before fresh LHM goes in I will clean the tank/filters and bleed the brakes. Seems rear wheels must be grounded so glad I have a pit. Having read the posts , I don't expect to see any improvement from the flush but it must help. Its getting to be a balancing act now cos the car, though nice, is not really worth anything but seems too good to scrap.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You are going to have to remove each rear wheel in turn, as you cannot (unless you have alloys with big gaps between the spokes) get at the bleed nipples with them in place.

When I did the fluid change, once everything was cleaned up and back in place, I topped up the fluid (until the orange disk was between the marks), fired her up, waited a couple of minutes (to allow the fluid to circulate), nipped up the pressure screw, raised her to normal, topped up the reservoir, raised her to full, topped up again, and then did 20 minutes of Citroebics (and checked the level again). Then I bled the brakes, in the sequence of OSR, NSR, OSF, NSF, and topped up after bleeding each brake.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+