xantia TD one time fail to start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: xantia TD one time fail to start

Post by Xantidote »

uncle buck wrote:Leak off pipes are always a suspect
And someone usually pops up with the reminder to check/replace the sealed end bit of pipe on the nearside injector (gearbox end) :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

Performed fine for the rest of the day - I just replaced the leak off pipes including the sealed end bit so hopefully eliminates one avenue of enquiry. The old pipes were still soft rubber but they didn't put up much resistance pulling them off - the replacement pipes are a snug fit. Those outgoing pipes were less than 2 years old.

Priming bulb still hard before and after this job.
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

Xantidote wrote::( intermittent problems have a habit of coming back - Need to tell us more. Presumably you got it going in the end, and weather's not too cold at present.

Any idea how long or number of spins of starter before it fired up? Was it very lumpy with lots of smoke from exhaust?

I assume when it's running, it's developing full power when foot to floor, suggesting the fuel filter's not blocked

PS. In answer to your question, air in fuel system can allow fuel to run back to tank. Whether this happens would, I suspect, depend on exactly where the air leak is located

Good luck
Rather then me start a new thread i thought i'd 'bump' this one as the fault 'aerodynamica' had seems very similar to that of my own. I've not replaced any parts on my own 1.9td as yet but any opinions would be appreciated.
The issue with my own car is that it usually starts well in the mornings (always give it 2 lots of heat) however when i switch it off after 10 mins or 10 hours it can be a right swine to start, it coughs & splutters like petrol engined car with a misfire & churns out rather a lot of 'smoke' + it's also developed a 'misfire' under heavy acceleration (typically 'up' motorway slip roads). The (genuine) leak-off pipes are approx' 2.5 yrs old as is the fuel filter & (beru) glow plugs, the primer can take varying amounts of 'pumps' from a couple to 8-9+ but doesn't seem to make much difference to it's starting & iv'e had a good look for fuel leaks but non are apparent. The first thing i intend to replace is the leak-off pipes, i could cut their ends off & re-seat them but they already look a little short + a new fuel filter wouldn't hurt (apart from the current one being black at it's base the rest of it looks a healthy golden color). The only other thing i've noticed is injectors 2 & 3 are rather more damp than i'd like but to be honest i think they've been like this for ages, so like i said, any opinions on this issue would be appreciated....before my credit card gets a bit of a kicking! :twisted:
Music keeps me going.
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
'Old Katy'

Post by aerodynamica »

Hiya sorry tho hear of your problems- must say that the smoke sounds like a bad glow plug. Is it grey smoke?
Graeme M
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

id say glow plugs for ur starting...leak off pipes cheep so deffo do that..do ur fuel filter and run some injector cleaner through her(bit stronger than u should) and see how u get on..
its gona get very cold soon so you want to know u have good glowplugs atleast :)
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

aerodynamica wrote:Hiya sorry tho hear of your problems- must say that the smoke sounds like a bad glow plug. Is it grey smoke?
I would say so, typically greyish/blue (not black) with a fairly rich smell of (typically unburnt) fuel & fairly hefty dose of it when it decides to be particularly hard to start.
Music keeps me going.
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

taffy wrote:id say glow plugs for your starting...leak off pipes cheep so deffo do that..do your fuel filter and run some injector cleaner through her(bit stronger than u should) and see how u get on..
its gona get very cold soon so you want to know u have good glowplugs atleast :)
i could run a test on my current glow plugs but if i'm gonna take them out to do that i might as well just replace them, much the same for the leak off pipes & the fuel filter has probably done over 30k so it'll be past it's best too. I might well run a resistance test on the glow plug wiring too although i've no idea what it should actually be & to be honest im not sure i can be bothered trying to figure it out as my multimeter is a bit rubbish to say the least. I'll have a go with the injector cleaner too, i actually hoped to get the injectors reconditioned this year but never managed to get my other car back on the road so i couldn't take the xantia off the road.
Music keeps me going.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-Glow-Plugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
id just get new ones but thats me but heres a nice easy way to test them
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

@ aerodynamica,

How you getting on with your starting problems since the new leak off pipes?

@ quintet,

Best to only change one thing at a time ...if you change the glow plugs, filter, leak off pipes all in one go you don't know what was causing the problem!

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
'Old Katy'

Post by aerodynamica »

Well! Since changing the leak offs it has been perfect - not a single instance of duff starting whether cold, hot, uphill, downhill, full or empty tank or duration of time parked up. So I'm surprised that the leak offs were such a factor. Thanks for the advice, I'd assumed the pipes were fine since they were only replaced just over a year ago but you live and learn!

My new problem is central locking and front axle knock mystery so fuel system good for now!

Just as an aside: the biggest improvement I've found was in bypassing the plastic diesel filter housing and fitting a clear filter in line. You lose the fuel heating from the housing but gain an instant starting engine with a priming bulb that's always one squeeze. You do have to make a 10-8mm adapter for the pipes though. Well worth it mind!
Graeme M
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

uncle buck wrote:

@ quintet,

Best to only change one thing at a time ...if you change the glow plugs, filter, leak off pipes all in one go you don't know what was causing the problem!

Cheers.
Decent idea, i may well leave the choice of parts to replace down to what 's available in stock but given the option i'd like to change the leak-off pipes first, which i hope to sort out this thursday.
Music keeps me going.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

@ aerodynamica,

Good to hear that your starting problems have stopped, those pesky leak off pipes :)

@ quintet,

Yes just one thing at a time with a few days between each, hopefully the first thing you change will sort it.

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

Getting hold of the leak off pipes have proved typically tricky as they're not in stock but i hope to pick the pipework up on tuesday, in the mean time the car is behaving sufficiently but but im thinking a new set of glow plugs will be purchased rather soon too despite those currently fitted being only about 3 years old (Beru; + my car spends most of its life on the motorway & very little 'stop/starting' so not overly worn/used).
Music keeps me going.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I used some thin clear tube that I had for the leak off pipes, you have to make sure it's petrol / diesel resistant. Don't use that clear stuff with the criss crosses through it as it goes hard.
You could use silicone tube ....take a look on ebay there's loads of it cheap.

The TD's do give the glow plugs a hammering as they stay on after starting for a while, 3 minutes if I remember correctly, that is unless the coolant is over a certain temperature or the throttle is opened to a certain point for a few seconds.

If replacing the glow plugs I would advise you to steer clear of the NGK brand, they make good spark plugs but their glow plugs don't seem to get on with the TD engine. I noticed very poor cold starting as soon as they were fitted in my TD, after trying a couple of sets in case of a bad batch I still had poor starting, changed to a different brand and the poor starting was gone!

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I believe there are two types of glow plugs, and only one of them can handle the long heat so if you get the wrong sort they burn out.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool