Winter Tyres - which ones do you have?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Winter Tyres - which ones do you have?

Post by Old-Guy »

I agree entirely with Dommo's thinking.

This time last year, the Green Lady (our 96 Xantia 1.9 sx Estate) needed 3 new tyres (nearing 2.5mm) with the 4th not much better, so (with the pundits predicting a 3rd bad winter), I bought a set of Goodyear Ultragrip 8s slightly cheaper than a set of comparable summer Goodyears - intending to get a second set of rims and fit them with summer tyres come the 'summer'. Compared with Avons on the front and Michelin Enegys on the back, the Goodyears were truly amazing: Sooo much quieter for a start; in torrential rain or well muddy roads (rural West Country) the car was completely sure-footed. Very reassuring some weeks later when we had a horrible trip home up the M5 in high winds, heavy rain and failing light.

When we did have some snow, I couldn't resist being completely irresponsible by using the car to go to Sainsbury's instead of walking. 2-3 inches of wet snow starting to freeze but main roads salted. The car lives on a steep drive with access from a narrow sunken lane, "You won't get back up the lane" said neighbour shaking his head "So-and-so couldn't get up just now in her 4x4!" (RAV4 shod with cheap tyres), ignoring the fact that I'd just driven up the drive over 3" of wet snow! :roll:

Long story short: No worries going down the lane or back up an hour later (or indeed over the few days while the snow lasted) and it wasn't me who bounced off the wall on one side and then off the bank on the other! Sainsbury's car park was very slippery under-foot but the Green Lady would turn tightly and stop on white ice, virgin crusty snow and slush. What little snow (compared with the previous 2 winters) we did have was never a problem even when others were sliding around - the main danger then being that you get hit by someone with no idea how to drive on snow/ice AND driving a vehicle shod with (well-worn) summer tyres.

Interestingly, when I ordered my Goodyears from a local independent tyre supplier, I was told there would be a slight delay because they had "to come from the Continent." The stickers revealed that they had been made in Poland and shipped off to the UK the same day, arriving in my hands just 3 days old!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Delighted to read that you have had a great experience with my winter tyres of choice. One side of me can't wait for some bad weather. The positive experience in wet and cold conditions is cleary worth having - I will just keep a close eye out forr the summer tyre skaters!

My Ultragrips had to be imported as well but they did arrive on time - not sure where from (I assumed Germany). Anyway they are on and ready for action.
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

If you're still skeptical, try this video instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI

The braking performance alone makes it worth the 'hassle' of keeping a spare set of wheels in the shed no-one uses...
Oliver53
Donor 2024

Post by Oliver53 »

NAM wrote:Evening All

I thought we ought to start a discussion (or continue the discussion) about Winter Tyres. Last year I didn't bother and skidded about on my Michelen Primacy 3's. This year, facing the need to change the rear tyres I've decided to jump in and after reading a review "Winter Tyre Test 2013" (eco.co.uk) eventually plumped for hte GoodYear UltraGrip 8's which have just been fitted.

I think I might have gone a bit early as they only come into their own when the temperature drops below 7C but I'm sure it is only a matter of time before the temperature drops.

My plan is to use them until April 2014 and then swop back to Michelin's. It is quite a financial hit but they should last a few years. I just wondered what others use and thought we could swop stories/advice and experience to help others thinking along similar lines to make an informed choice.
Just for the record my tyres are 225/55/R17's for a C5 III Tourer (complete with pressure sensors which so far have behaved themselves and survived two lots of tyre fitting).
Look forward to hearing about other options and I will update once they have been tested :-D

I used a set of Michelin Alpine A4 (225/55R17) for my C5 II saloon during the winter of 2011-2012. Those tyres coped with the winter Siberia very well during my road trip back to China. I would say that investment of over 1000 quid was worthwhile, the winter tyres plus ESP absolutely helped me a lot. See video in Siberia:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzY3NDQ3MjQ4.html

BTW, people drive at 80-110 km/h (50-70MPH) even on snowy or icy roads in Russia. And...
2000 ZX 1.4i
2006 Xsara Picasso 2.0i
2011 C5 2.3i (EW12A)
2003 Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
1985 2CV6 Special