C5 X7 Suspension.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: C5 X7 Suspension.

Post by qprdude »

I think Citroen procedure involves hooking up to a Digibox BEFORE topping up Hydractive 3+, but I'm not sure I believe them. As a poor old pensioner, I can't afford the 100 mile trip and the Lexia session if it goes t*ts up.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As Citroen recommend Total, and that says LDS, I would imagine that that is the pukka stuff (but wait for a C5 aficionado to respond).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Opened the tank filler slightly without removing the cap and also heard a soft hiss of air (suspension was at normal setting). Re-fitted the cap and drove the car around the block. Ride feels different - a bit softer and similar to a friends 2 year old C5 X7 exclusive. My only concern is that I did this with the suspension at the normal setting (not low). Should I repeat the same steps with the suspension at the low setting or leave as it is?
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Repeated same steps with suspension at low setting and now suspension is harder. Does feel too hard for normal setting though so it seems to me that if you seal the cap when the suspension is at the high setting it overpressurizes the system.
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

myglaren wrote:No damage.

The fluid should come to the top of the shorter cut outs with suspension on high (IIRC).
With suspension high, replace the cap and when the car goes to normal ride height it will slightly pressurise the reservoir.
I didn't on either car and no disasters have occurred.
Not sure if this is the right way. It made the suspension in my car very hard which would indicate that the pressure is too high.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Procedure says Digibox/Lexia required to de-pressurise system so I think I will leave mine for the time being. I'm assuming there is a valve/valves that need to be opened by Lexia. However, I found the following thread interesting.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 86&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rick.

osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

I think once you've opened the cap you will need Lexia to get pressures right etc.

From the other thread (which however applies to the previous C5)
Replace the cap loosely but do not tighten yet.
Start engine and raise car suspension to Normal operating level.
Now tighten cap.
This indicates that the LDS is under 1 bar pressure when suspension is at normal level.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I was told that Lexia was required to open the electro valves prior to topping up. I'm not prepared to bugger up my suspension until I know. I will most likely phone my dealer in the New year and ask them if they will have a look at it. If I say there is something wrong, no doubt they will check it out for me. The suspension is under warranty so if I am not happy with it, they will check it allfor free.
Rick.

osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Finally I feel the suspension is almost back to how it should be! Tightening the cap once the suspension was at the normal level seems to have done the job. I did not risk to do what you did as it seemed that I would end introducing air in the system.
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

qprdude wrote:Not very clear, and no difference between low and high as far as I can see.
Setting low.

Setting high

Should we be able to see LDS at the low setting?
Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

I don't know if this is any use, but I've just been through this on my C6. "Rule-of-thumb" apparently says to lower the car fully, and the LDS should just make the bottom of the filter basket in your pictures: that is supposedly the correct level. However, I put a litre of LDS in mine and it still wasn't showing... so I stopped, plugged in the Lexia, and depressurised the system properly. The car sank to the floor and at least half a litre of LDS flowed out the filler neck! (I was quick with a turkey baster to catch most of it before it dribbled through the engine bay..!) Eventually I removed just enough that the level was at the top ridge on the basket, as per the workshop manual.

Following the "rule-of-thumb" I'd overfilled the system by nearly a litre. I don't know if this is the exact same system as on your C5, nor do I know if it matters, but it may be worth bearing in mind. Others on the C6 forum have noticed this discrepancy too.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Too late now I guess as I added 1/2 lt and still did not see any LDS at the bottom of the filter basket. Need to get a Lexia it seems!
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Just so you all feel a little easier... :lol: ......here's my tale ......

Returning from France in sept got 'suspension faulty..56 Max'message. Front end dragging the floor,rear bouncing and lights illuminating the moon then road. Litre added,seemed fine until a few weeks ago,could hear pump so again added another litre but still no sign of level in basket.
Same message flashed this week, got 2 litres yesterday, put in, again no sign of level?
No pressure from cap when released, can hear pump when ignition turned off but car level still the same..ie knuckle dragging
Press the button and display says closing in progression but no movement.
Sport mode says activated,feels firmer but hard to judge?
Looks good when parked up though :) ...any 'f***in Dubber' would be proud.

I can feel a hefty bill coming!!

Any guesses as to where the 4l went?
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

No idea old'uns, but I'm sticking to my original belief that a lexia is required when servicing the Hydractive 3+ suspension.

Take it you've checked the under-tray and under the car for leaks? Are there electro-valves under the reservoir/pump that could be stopping the fluid in the res.? I was told that the lexia session opened the electro-valves and depressurised the system fully. Does anyone know the system capacity?
Rick.

Jodyone

Post by Jodyone »

The C6 system capacity is listed as 6.3 litres, if the C5 is the same then you may have either been very low or losing a lot. A big loss should be obvious, though? Bear in mind the system can also be overfilled by at least a litre, probably two (I suspect many are, as explained earlier in this thread). Good luck getting it fixed, old'uns- I bet it won't be as expensive as you fear.
2006 C6 Exclusive, 2.7 HDi