C5 X7 Suspension.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: C5 X7 Suspension.

Post by mooseshaver »

The back does raise before the front. And if you got from top to bottom quick the front lowers first.
What I don't know is how low does the fluid have to be before you get a warning? I've never had one and two of my c5s had leaks. One was suspension cylinder seals on an 02 and the other was on a 56 plate after the trailing arm bearings replaced and one of the clips was no longer tight.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Didn't know there was a "Low Fluid" warning, but as there is a warning for everything else, I suppose it makes sense.

I thought there would be a very fine mesh filter inside the cap, but the fine filter must be at the outlet side. Wonder why it says "Citroen service only" (in French) on the top of the reservoir. It doesn't look like brain surgery to anyone with a modicum of common sense. :-**
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can you take a photo?

I'd say you want around a Litre of LDS chucking in there, otherwise there's a risk of scavenging that the power steering pump won't be at all happy with.
Mine is a bit too full if anything - like that when I bought it and have never done anything with it yet. It has never overflowed or leaked.

My estate was like yours, nothing actually showing. This was after a rear gaiter split and weeped a bit for a while. Bought a Litre at the Northern and that did the trick.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Not very clear, and no difference between low and high as far as I can see.

Tank

Setting low.

Setting high

Low

Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

OK. On perusing some LDS stuff, I read about connecting a Lexia, opening bleed/pressure relief screws etc.
I did not of those things, I just dropped the suspension and waited till everything settled, then with the engine off and pump stopped, I opened the tank filler for a look. I heard a soft hiss of pressure releasing, but no great whoosh. After a look, I just re-fitted the cap , fired up the engine and tried the suspension. Everything seemed to work, and no warnings appeared. Now I'm a bit anxious. Have I done any damage, and if not, why all the palaver with the pressure release valve and connecting a lexia? 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
Rick.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No damage.

The fluid should come to the top of the shorter cut outs with suspension on high (IIRC).
With suspension high, replace the cap and when the car goes to normal ride height it will slightly pressurise the reservoir.
I didn't on either car and no disasters have occurred.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Phew, thanks for that. So it's possibly just another way for Citroen to get their fingers in your wallet?
If I top up the fluid with the suspension on high, does that mean the level of fluid will be higher at the lowest setting, and is there any danger of the tank overflowing, or a seal blowing?
I saw some fluid on Ebay for around £14 a litre. Would that be OK?
Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to make an expensive mistake as my nearest Citroen garage is 100 miles away and I'm off on a 1300 mile round trip at the end of the month
Cheers
Rick.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Personally I wouldn't risk anything other than Total LDS but then I have three dealers and two Halfords plus any amount of car spares places close by and eBay.
I bought mine at the northern rally, was about £7 but may be too long for you to wait and a bit far to go :)

I imagine that Citroen are protecting themselves from people chucking any old crap in there (DOT4, LHM etc) Chris (citroenmad) had problems with one of his C5s where it appeared to have had LHM added and foamed up all over the place.

As far as I am aware there is no low fluid warning - certainly haven't seen it and no-one has mentioned it that I have seen. Will check the handbook but think I would have remembered had it been there.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

myglaren wrote:No damage.

The fluid should come to the top of the shorter cut outs with suspension on high (IIRC).
Should it not be on low to check level?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

mooseshaver wrote:

I thought that too.

This is the fluid on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDS-FLUID-FOR ... 0503844456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rick.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

mooseshaver wrote:

Can't be certain of that, there are conflicting descriptions and if on low it won't pressurise until raised, sealed and lowered.
When lowering the suspension fluid will charge the reservoir while if at that level on low will deplete it when raising the car.
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

What happened at the end? Did you top-up? Did anything change?
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Haven't topped it up. Still the same . I'm happy enough to leave it for the time being. To be honest, I've not noticed it so much recently. I expect I saw it once, and became a bit paranoid about it.
I might get a litre of fluid after Christmas and top it up. My concern is, if I top it up, will I get some sort of fault message that needs a Digibox session.
Rick.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

No....safe to top up (IF needed)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Tempted to try and see if it changes the ride which is much harder recently and the front suspension running lower compared to other C5.7

Will this do?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Total-Fluide- ... 2580a5897a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the photos above at high and low setting what should you expect to see? Can't see a difference between the two settings.
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual