My HDi Xantia - help required pg5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Duke137

Re: My HDi Xantia

Post by Duke137 »

So...

Passed it's MOT on the 24th, another 12 months rent added we are back on for another years motoring. Check this advisory list, number one made me think WTF? :roll:

It's just a bit of muck and bird shyte wasn't sure it warranted an advisory! Also who the hell is 'General Underbody'? :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

General Underbody is General Dogsbodys' commanding officer!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Number 5 was referring to my girlfriend I think :)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

So is airbag light flashing only an advisory now then?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder what will happen if the passenger airbag is turned back on. According to my owners manual (on page 23) is says "Note : If a malfunction occurs, the side airbag warning lamp flashes."
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I turned all my airbags off 3 years ago, could not beat the flashy light problem at all.
the light still lights up for about 2 seconds and goes out again.
I think the tester is just warning you that he is a sharp as a pin so watch out next year!!! Brake discs corroded they obviously work don't they? no marks for a functioning vechicle then?
if I don't drive my Xantia for a week my brake discs rust. what is this testers point. maybe he sees things others don't either that or he has been on the carling black label the night before. perhaps he is Hallucinating on brake fluid fumes? :roll:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

The lamp was flashing before I turned the passenger bag off, it is off because I once had the sprog in the front in the reverse facing seat and it has never been switched back on.
All the points bar number two are pointless and probably only there to score points with VOSA as a test station.

He ain't that sharp a tester, he has missed the rear number plate light bulbs out for the last two MOT's LOL :)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

well we used the same local garage for years with our Xantia GSA's and 2cv's now we have started to use the Citroen independents as the Local garage is getting really picky I put a brand new set of Bosch wipers on my Xantia last year 1 hour before the MOT after the MOT one had been split at the edge. I always check my bulbs before a test and it also failed on yes you've guessed it rear light bulbs. The local failed my 2cv because it didn't have a headlamp warning light on the dashboard last year and I had to get the info that it wasn't built with one from the MOT testers forum before the garage would contact VOSA and query it, VOSA confirmed that it didn't need one but the garage blatantly argued that it did, with the independents the cars pass on everything I check before the tests.
Granted the Xantia needed a new nearside rear sill this year but that's the first bit of welding in a 16 year old car ever.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Granted the Xantia needed a new nearside rear sill this year but that's the first bit of welding in a 16 year old car ever.
Last year my Xantia had advisories for the inner sills being weak. During the year the nearside one became holy and so I had both sides welded to save messing about at this years test.

It failed this morning . . . on the welding on the inner sills! :shock: As with yours this is the first bit of welding this car has had in the seven years I've had it, all tested at the same place. The welding is clean and smooth and covered in underseal. The testers angle is that either it's the best piece of welding I've ever seen or the plate has been stuck on with silicone :shock: :? I need to see that it has been welded in. Okay :? so I trots off to the guy who did the welding, Cheeky bastards, course it's been welded.

So I'm taking it back to him on Monday morning so he can remove the underseal back to the bare metal, mark the welding with a yellow permanent marker so I can take it back to the MOT station. I've been using this station for over 20 years and never had anything so stupid as this.
falling-out-with-my-car

Eddie,
its obviously the best bit of welding he has ever seen.
I think there must be some Government initiative to get older cars off the road something the general public don't know about.
You can make a complaint about the MOT station to VOSA but it means paying again for a VOSA inspection at one of their official stations and they will test the whole vechicle not just the welding, in future have the welding done at the same place you have the MOT done, I had mine done at Pleiades in Sawtry and he took the car round to his local MOT Garage as he does. fortunately he has a freebie courtesy car and for an independent so far away from home it is very handy to use providing you have entitlement to drive another persons car third party.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

One of the main reasons I use this MOT station is that they don't do anything but tests. They're not looking for work. They are strict on steering, suspension and brakes and easy going on owt else. This is the first time I've come across this. Baffling!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would suggest that you take good quality photos of the welding, and then keep them in the car or the relevant paperwork. Ask the tester to compare the photos to the welding and, if he is satisfied with the comparison, ask him to write that on the back of the photos, and sign and date it. That way you should be covered for future MoTs.

I don't think he was being cheeky, just being thorough. We have all heard stories where a car has had a bodge body repair using papier-mâché and the like.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Some interesting MOT stories here!

Little update on my car, I think reluctantly it will be for sale in April :(

There is the potential of a job change at work and a company car in the offing so with regret the Xantia will have to go. It's a shame, it has done me proud really and I never thought I would be selling it, I planned on keeping it until I was told it wasn't economically viable to keep it on the road. If anybody is interested in buying it on the forum please get in touch I would prefer it to go to someone who will appreciate it really but I understand there is not a huge audience on here and money talks.

It has a few annoying faults and really needs the spheres (rear mainly) replacing this was in Aprils to-do list for me but ultimately it has MOT and Tax until the end of Feb 2015, I don't have much history but I have all the receipts from the start of 2012 including full new exhaust, timing belt, services etc. It has also had new front accumulator sphere, a rear anti-sink sphere, and about £400 worth of work last MOT including bushes, ball joints, corroded pipes replaced etc

It would make somebody a very reliable daily steed as it has me, I would be genuinely sad to see it go. My location is Derby, East Midlands.

Some poor pics, will get some more at the weekend:

And full tradesman spec...

Ladders and roofbars not included

I don't know what the value would be, I have an idea what it is worth but it does need a sphere change. I was going to DIY this myself as you can get the tool on ebay for about £20 and the Febi spheres for £80 a pair on CP4L (Car parts for less), even cheaper for Chinese specials if that was your preference but I prefer branded stuff.

Anyway, if you are looking for a good reliable Xantia this is it, it's not mint by any means but it is everything you would want from a good car and more. PM me if you are interested
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'm sure you can get good spheres for about £22 each, or at least could last time I bought some back in late 2012.

Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Northern_Mike wrote:I'm sure you can get good spheres for about £22 each, or at least could last time I bought some back in late 2012.

I know it is a typical cliché but if I get the time I will replace them, thanks for the info :)