My HDi Xantia - help required pg5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: My HDi Xantia

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

shopping for a replacement after my cambelt went a fortnight ago you'd find it hard to get a really good one for under
a grand they are becomming classics slowley but surley.
regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:shopping for a replacement after my cambelt went a fortnight ago you'd find it hard to get a really good one for under
a grand they are becomming classics slowley but surley.
regards Nigel.
There is a minter S1 sinker on ebay at the moment, go and buy that before I do!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121192395308? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rare colour, rare interior, low miles, chevrons on the bonnet... that is how you should roll! :)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Granted it is a lovely car but do you want to acellerate slowley as it has no turbo either
they were like the old 1.9D Bx's good engines but as i say no punch to them until you get to maybe 50mph.
Buy it I'm having my reopaired at Bourne Citroen when Xac sells me his spare engine.
Ive spent to much money this year on her to let her go and the first job was to replac e the heater matrix.
cheers Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Her is one for you: THROTTLE RESPONSE

I think my throttle cable may be a bit slack as the throttle response is vague and feels like it is difficult to hold at a constant RPM without messing about. Can this just be tightened up at the butterfly/throttle body end? (I've not looked at it physically but I bet it has play)

Also:

When I jacked the car up the other week, the rear wheel came off the floor very easily, is this normal? It didn't appear to 'stretch' out the shock as you would expect.

Thanks
falling-out-with-my-car

Yes the wheels go up on an xantia not down like a car with shocks and springs, when you let the jack down I expect the car sank to the ground making it difficult to remove the jack without
runnig the engine to lift the car.This is why it is so important to always use axle stands when woring under a Xantia, eve if you think your Jack is indestructable, Xantias have dropped on people working underneath in the past.

Throttle adjustment.
follow the cable back from the throttle arm on the fuel pump and you should find a circlip in a grooved tube on the cable pull the circlip with a pair of long nosed pliers and DON'T DROP IT.
Then adjust the cable tension and replace the clip.
it is often better to drop the cable back two notches for the MOT it stops the tester from openning the throttle to much when doing the emissions, it also prtotects the turbo in case some idiot turns the ignition off before the engine has finished returnning to idle speed. I have read somewhere that this can damage the turbo.
regards Nigel.
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Yes the wheels go up on an xantia not down like a car with shocks and springs, when you let the jack down I expect the car sank to the ground making it difficult to remove the jack without
runnig the engine to lift the car.This is why it is so important to always use axle stands when woring under a Xantia, eve if you think your Jack is indestructable, Xantias have dropped on people working underneath in the past.

Throttle adjustment.
follow the cable back from the throttle arm on the fuel pump and you should find a circlip in a grooved tube on the cable pull the circlip with a pair of long nosed pliers and DON'T DROP IT.
Then adjust the cable tension and replace the clip.
it is often better to drop the cable back two notches for the MOT it stops the tester from openning the throttle to much when doing the emissions, it also prtotects the turbo in case some idiot turns the ignition off before the engine has finished returnning to idle speed. I have read somewhere that this can damage the turbo.
regards Nigel.
Thanks for the info, no my Jack is a Costco Arcan Low profile 3 Tonne job, Cost about £100, it's an excellent bit of kit and rolls straight out with the car on the lowest setting. What you have said makes sense, I have read before they can drop on you so I was aware.

Great advice on the Throttle/turbo etc, appreciate the help.
falling-out-with-my-car

glad to help I just hope my throttle cable experience of the 1.9TD is close to that of the HDi no doubt someone will be along to say yeah or neah sooner or later. at the very least put the wheels or the spare wheel under the car if you havent got stands.
I remember an old saftey video we were shown at college years ago a man was trapped under a car and nobody was around to help him they had all gone out he couldnt call out to anyone because his chest was compressed, worrying thought that one.
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Fraid not regarding the throttle cable..... HDI is fly-by-wire!!
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

harryp wrote:Fraid not regarding the throttle cable..... HDI is fly-by-wire!!
Yes...and no :lol: Although it is an electrical input to the ECU there is a cable running to the throttle pot, which is between the air pipes and the LHM tank. And I believe it still has the grooved adjuster with clip on it - although I have not had cause to have to adjust mine in >100k miles!
Richard W
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Well, I stand corrected.(Hangs head in shame)...... Have not seen the throttle pot. Have noticed however that my throttle pedal does not always return to "zero" position and requires uplift assist from foot. Have considered a light spring assist, but to and from where?
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Its worth looking at the other end of the cable, you will probably need to remove the airbox to see whats going on.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Was going to say 100% there is a throttle cable as I have happily revved the engine from under the bonnet using it in the past!
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Thanks for the info; will gave a look when I next open the bonnet and maybe put that little item right!. Something else I have learnt from this forum. Regards
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

I've had mine seven years this month, and wouldn't part with her. Bought at 146k miles, now at 197k with new clutch at 186k, and nothing in the FSH about the turbo, radiator or anything engine wise having been changed. Starts first time, looks gorgeous in black, and does 52mpg :-D Why would I need anything newer?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm with you Eddie.... mine only at 152k, but the tin worm is setting in :( Have put 105k on it in the 6 and a bit years I've had it, fits like a comfortable old glove :lol:
Richard W