C5 Turbo Renewal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamster99

Re: C5 Turbo Renewal

Post by hamster99 »

OK, so started to strip the car yesterday, at least up until the sodding weather (heavy rain) made it impossible.

Managed to get the cat/ particle filter off without too much trouble and it does give you reasonable access to the pre- cat heat shield. Engine undertray wasn't too difficult either although I managed to break off a corner as someone hadn't refitted it properly previously.

Exhaust and cat looks pretty clean inside so looks like no issues from the turbo failure thankfully.

One thing I'm still not clear about is whether I still have to remove the drivers side driveshaft.

Cheers

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Good luck and keep at it....no matter what the weather, it will get colder....so keep at it now and good luck
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

Hi All

Well, after 3 days, finally got the turbo off! If it hadn't been for the awful wind and rain, especially on Friday and today I reckon it could have been off in a day. It's definitely failed, the shaft wobbles about like a drunken teenager on Saturday night, but the rest of it looks fine. There's no impeller damage so nothing has been thrown into the engine, other than oil sucked through the air intakes and intercooler.

I'm going to write up a more detailed post about the removal and refitting (once I do that next weekend) as there are a number of pitfalls to avoid which would have made it a bit less frustrating.

For now I will say that the pre-cat is a complete pain in the a*se. Such an awkward shape and with heatshields which make it almost impossible to get at anything. Even when loose it is like the krypton factor (40 somethings will know what I mean!!) to try and twist it and turn it to remove it. In the end I left it where it was and removed the turbo around it.

I didn't take the sub-frame off but took out the right hand drive shaft as it was pretty easy to remove once you got over the balljoint removal on the hub. I might take the sub-frame off next weekend when I refit the turbo just to see if it makes a difference as there should be a bit more room.

It's not impossible but does require perseverance and a certain amount of patience. If you're using the haynes manual as a guide then there are a few fundemental errors. More of these later but one biggy was the fact that there is a bracket underneath the exhaust side of the turbo which attaches it to the cylinder block - no mention of this anywhere!!. Will be stripping it down tomorrow and then ordering the necessary bits to rebuild it.

Quite funny when I eventually got it out and run in the house with it........look, look, I haven't been just hiding for 3 days, here it is. Bit like I had won a trophy or something!

Thanks all for your advice, would never have tackled it otherwise, even though I am reasonably competent when it comes to cars.

More to follow next week when it's refitted.

Cheers

Rob
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

Have ordered new CHRA cartridge for turbo, should be here tomorrow.

What's the best thing to use to clean the turbo bits and should I try and clean all the carbon and soot out of the turbine housing as well?

Rob
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

Ultrasonic cleaner?
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

what about this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wynns-Turbo-C ... 3f29a1ea86" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

Thanks guys, one other thing, a lot of the air intake tubing and the intercooler are full of oil. Whats the best for cleaning those too. I'm sure I read somewhere that paraffin was good but sounds a bit "low tech" to me?

Rob
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

hamster99 wrote:Thanks guys, one other thing, a lot of the air intake tubing and the intercooler are full of oil. Whats the best for cleaning those too. I'm sure I read somewhere that paraffin was good but sounds a bit "low tech" to me?

Rob
Go to GSF. Buy 5 litres of brake cleaner in a 5 litre container. Remove intercooler. Plug one end. Pour a litre or so into the other end. Shake a lot. Pour mess out. Dispose of in an environmentally friendly way.

Personally I'd just spray some brake cleaner down the pipes when they are off and let it drain out. It'll be more than enough. There's always a bit of oil in these pipes anyway. .
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

Thanks Mike, will pop in to GSF tomorrow and pick some up.