Xantia Mk.2 1.9 TD, oiled underside of the A/C compressor.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Xantia Mk.2 1.9 TD, oiled underside of the A/C compresso

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The size will be printed somewhere on the back of the belt, ie 1736mm by six rows wide, also look at the tensioner pulleys to observe whether any of them appear to be keeling over. sabotage ? a flying stone ? who knows ?
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Mk.2 1.9 TD, oiled underside of the A/C compresso

Post by CitroJim »

Xantidote wrote:I wonder why the belt's in that condition. Could have been damaged during original fitting maybe?
Could be the tensioner has failed and is exerting uneven pressure on the belt. Easiest way to check the tensioner is to eye it and check it is sitting properly parallel to the belt run and not cocked off at an angle. It'll be easy to see.

If it is the tensioner MUST be replaced along with the belt.

There are two belt sizes deepening on what compressor is fitted a 1725 and a 1740 but I can't recall which is which now the longer one I think is for the Harrison (not Harrison as shown in parts lists!!)

Thing is the longer belt will fit the Sanden but it'll be too loose and will flap around wildly.

Failure to replace the belt risks it breaking and snagging the cambelt and quite possibly destroying your cylinder head.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...