new frount breaks and pads still feel spongye

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: new frount breaks and pads still feel spongye

Post by Stewart(oily) »

jacksun1987 wrote:the fluid what was in the breaks was the mucky brown fluid i had before i changed the lhm oil.
Its wierd how the bit in the breaks as stayed in there. I would have thought it would have gone round the system. The new green lhm fluid
The brakes are dead ends as far as the fluid goes, one pipe with a caliper on the end, only the suspension circulates LHM.just bleed the brakes until it comes through green.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What Stewart (oily) said. As the rear brakes have long pipes, it can take half a litre of LHM before it runs green. Make sure you have a couple of bottles of LHM to hand.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

yep like i say mange to do 3 of them couldn't do all 4 I have noticed a difference. The thing is. If the break on the fount right has new lhm and the front left hasn't Would the right come on sooner then the left ? .
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

jacksun1987 wrote:yep like i say mange to do 3 of them couldn't do all 4 I have noticed a difference. The thing is. If the break on the fount right has new lhm and the front left hasn't Would the right come on sooner then the left ? .
In theory one side would/could apply more force as with no water (absorbed) in the new fluid is less compressible. As it is a short section, I don't think it would matter much. The biggest danger of old fluid is the boiling point is lowered greatly.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I thought that LHM had the advantage that it didn't absorb moisture.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:
jacksun1987 wrote:yep like i say mange to do 3 of them couldn't do all 4 I have noticed a difference. The thing is. If the break on the fount right has new lhm and the front left hasn't Would the right come on sooner then the left ? .
In theory one side would/could apply more force as with no water (absorbed) in the new fluid is less compressible. As it is a short section, I don't think it would matter much. The biggest danger of old fluid is the boiling point is lowered greatly.
LHM doesn't absorb water.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Well the fluid what was in the hole car and was still in the break pipes was a mucky browny red. Changed the lhm about a year ago now. ts still nice and green. It was just the bleeding of the breaks what needed doing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:
LHM doesn't absorb water.
Yep....my bad
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting