V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Trainman
Donor 2018

Re:

Post by Trainman »

addo wrote:
Trainman wrote:No, I've just checked myself and they're not working, I hate doing this from work.......... :twisted: :twisted:
How many stations did you miss, posting them? :P
None, just crap IT.

:twisted:

citroenxm

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by citroenxm »

No he has a KNOWN leak on the PAS return hose, on the back of the rack..

KP

Post by KP »

If the button unit is the same as a mk2 td car with ac then I have one in the garage I think :)

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

citroenxm wrote:No he has a KNOWN leak on the PAS return hose, on the back of the rack..
Time to skin the return line tree and make your own octopus.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Guys

All I'm trying to work out is this: could a complete novice like me replace the Briton sensor? And where is it? I know Jim said it's more or less under the header tank, from that I'm presuming that it's at the back of the engine, is there better access from the top or the bottom.

This is probably a really stupid question, but, can it just be disconnected? To make it drivable?
Last edited by Trainman on 29 Sep 2013, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The bleeder on the thermostat housing does on ever dribble and only does so whent he thermostat is open in my experience..

Very much agree with you Mike about swapping thermostats..

Easy to test, hold the top hose and wait until it gets hot and the rad gets hot. It may take a while as the V6 when idling takes a long time to warm right up as there's a heck of a lot of water in the water jackets..

The top hose and rad will remain cold until the 'stat opens and then it'll suddenly get hot...

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

You got autocorrected - it's not a Briton sensor!

Try stripping the top off, it all starts with removing your airbox.

Invest in a strip of Perspex mirror, 2" wide by 8" long that can be used with a torch to see around the engine back.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

CitroJim wrote:The bleeder on the thermostat housing does on ever dribble and only does so whent he thermostat is open in my experience..

Very much agree with you Mike about swapping thermostats..

Easy to test, hold the top hose and wait until it gets hot and the rad gets hot. It may take a while as the V6 when idling takes a long time to warm right up as there's a heck of a lot of water in the water jackets..

The top hose and rad will remain cold until the 'stat opens and then it'll suddenly get hot...
Jim, that's not happening.

The top hose is getting hot and the radiator by the top hose gets hot, but the fans kick in and cool it down. The bottom hose remains cold. Having said that I've not tried that from cold, something to do tomorrow or maybe later if I get chance.

I've topped up the LHM and both lights are still there so that rules that out.

Adam, thanks for the tip about the mirror, SWMBO and I are out shopping this morning so I will have a look for one.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

I think my acrylic mirror strips came from a plastics supplier or picture framer. Much safer in the presence of hot manifolds, or if dropped!

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Trainman wrote:Guys

All I'm trying to work out is this: could a complete novice like me replace the Briton sensor? And where is it? I know Jim said it's more or less under the header tank, from that I'm presuming that it's at the back of the engine, is there better access from the top or the bottom.

This is probably a really stupid question, but, can it just be disconnected? To make it drivable?
Borrowing a quote from Jim on another thread:
CitroJim wrote:There you are Roly, a picture of the offending sensor circled :)

The airbox will come off without removing any bracketry, just be careful of the inlet air temperature sensor..
You need a deep socket of the right size for the new sensor, and maybe a long screwdriver for pressing the clip on the connector.

If you disconnect the sensor, the fans will run continuously at full speed. That is OK, but you may as well just ignore the warning light (and watch the temperature gauge occasionally.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

That's brilliant, THANK YOU =D> I will order one tomorrow and then I can do it, hopefully the dealer will have one in stock [-o< although I doubt it #-o

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

SHE LIVES

I read the complete thread that Xantia V6 (sorry don't know your name :oops: ) posted and thought to myself "I wonder............." :-k

I disconnected the wires, sprayed them with Electrical Contact Cleaner, put them back on and fired her up (crosses fingers, toes and everything in between) I let her warm up, no fans, no warning lights. I rebuilt her and then took her for a test drive, we have a perfect stretch of dual carriageway by the house :wink: built for just that purpose :lol: :lol:

Anyway, still no lights on the dashboard, so it looks like it was a bad connection #-o

KP

Post by KP »

Excellent news Steve!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, fantastic =D> :-D Excellent!

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

CitroJim wrote:Steve, fantastic =D> :-D Excellent!
Might have helped if I had spelt Bitron sensor instead of Briton Sensor when I was seaching :oops: :oops:

:roll:

She's running a little warmer than normal, but nothing major, I'll check the water level before I leave work later, I'm presuming the level is a little low after bleeding her yesterday [-o<