V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

KP

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by KP »

:p
Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Well, here we go again, nope, not the battery or the gearbox........ this time the cruise control has failure d again, driving home after work this morning, go to put the cruise on, press button, check it's lit up, engage cruise....... nothing!

I'm thinking it's a split pipe again, so I will have a quick look tomorrow, as I'm 'grounded' in the morning waiting for a delivery.

I haven't been happy with the poor lux level of the headlights, and yes I've tried Xenons which to be honest were better but not really good, so I'm going to try LEE's ivory got some H1 bulbs from the interwoven and I will give them a try.......... watch this space.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, it may be the brake switch a bit intermittent - try hooking your toe under it - with safety in mind of course - and pull the pedal rubber toward you. If the switch is a tad dodgy that can restore operation...
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

I must agree about the headlights Steve on the xantia , I remember back to when I used to do a bit of taxi driving and nights where horrid , I think the S2 lights were slightly better but not by much .

Mark
Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Jim,

Thanks for the tip, cruise control restored and working, live a cheap fix :)

LED bulbs have arrived so they will get fitted tomorrow, I've also got the side repeaters to replace thanks to Will for those, I was only going to replace one but these are in better nick than mine so it's getting both.

On a more positive note it looks like I will now be able to attend the Northern Rally, so Jim, fetch your switch please :-D That's reminds me, I still owe you some LHM.

Just need to get the intermittent cutting out sorted, where I shall be picking brains again, I've been told it could need carberetta cleaner, but I haven't a clue.....
Last edited by Trainman on 16 May 2014, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
KP

Post by KP »

Fingers crossed it can all be sorted for you fella as it must be starting to drive you crazy now lol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Trainman wrote:Jim,

Thanks for the tip, cruise control restored and working, live a cheap fix :)
Excellent :-D
Trainman wrote:On a more positive note it looks like I will now be able to attend the Northern Rally, so Jim, fetch your switch please :-D That's reminds me, I still owe you some LHM.
Noted!
Trainman wrote:Just need to get the intermittent cutting out sorted, where I shall be picking brains again, I've been told it could need carberetta cleaner, but I haven't a clue.....
Pass!
Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

I decided this morning, given the excellent that I would fit the LED headlamp bulbs and side repeaters, so first job was to remove the old damaged d one from the drivers side and replace it with a new/second-hand one, as the one on the passenger was going mossy, I thought I might as well change that too.

Tested them and discovered the N/S one wasn't working so got it back out and replaced the bulb, however, getting it out the second time, I managed to snap the retaining clip, so it needs replacing again....... Grrrr!

So on to the LED's..... and yes they don't fit either, the shape of the bulb hole in the back.of the headlight won't allow the LED into the unit. So tomorrow, I'm going to take both headlights out and file a bigger hole to get the LED into the headlight.......

Just to add insult to injury, the O/S bulb blew tonight on the way home....... I will be a basket case soon, this car is driving me bonkers.
KP

Post by KP »

;)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Trainman wrote:I will be a basket case soon, this car is driving me bonkers.
I've an Activa like that Steve. It must be red cars :roll: Blue ones are never a problem...
DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

CitroJim wrote:
Trainman wrote:I will be a basket case soon, this car is driving me bonkers.
I've an Activa like that Steve. It must be red cars :roll: Blue ones are never a problem...
They really aren't! My Activa has been good as gold in the 7 years I've had it!

David.
KP

Post by KP »

That's because it covers so few miles!!
Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

KP wrote:;)

Have you nothing better to do?
KP

Post by KP »

Most of the time not really :)
Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

KP wrote:Most of the time not really :)
I'm going to have a chat with your significant other next time I see her, I don't see why you should get away with doing nothing when I get "jobs" :lol:

The saga of the lights continues, I fitted the LED's this morning, after widening the slots for the bulbs. Came to use the car on the way home and the LED's are about as bright as sidelights....... flaming things, so there I am struggling in the dark to swap the bulbs back over to the normal halogen, in the dark on an unlit road, whilst parked in a layby....... yes of course you've guessed the story isn't complete. Two of the old bulbs now.won't work, so I gave up and drove home with only one headlight, I will sort it tomorrow morning.