V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Trainman
Donor 2018

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

I've just had a look at the BoL and I can't see anything listed in fuses for the ECU's having said that, this is a 1997 car, nor can I see a fuse box under the glove box.

Am I missing something?

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Is your 30 pin connector one of the Chinese units? They often have trouble contacting all the diagnostic pins properly.

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Trainman wrote:I've just had a look at the BoL and I can't see anything listed in fuses for the ECU's having said that, this is a 1997 car, nor can I see a fuse box under the glove box.

Am I missing something?
The fuse box is on the drivers side in the owners manual pocket - next to the bonnet pull. Can't miss it - its right next to the Diagnostic socket! :lol:

I wouldn't trust the BOL for fuse locations as they constantly moved around with year and model spec!

Do you not have the owners manual ?

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Mandrake wrote: and oddly the fuse that supplies the gearbox ECU is in the passenger footwell fuse box! :roll:
That's will be why I'm conFUSED then :rofl2:

There's nothing in the owners handbook either. I think the best thing is to pull all the fuses and check them, if that doesn't work on hen its battery off and check for a loose connection on the ECU.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Re:

Post by Trainman »

addo wrote:Is your 30 pin connector one of the Chinese units? They often have trouble contacting all the diagnostic pins properly.
Adam, yes it is........

Works on the C6 with no problems and Paul used it on this Xantia at the CXM rally, so should be OK

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Trainman wrote:
Mandrake wrote: and oddly the fuse that supplies the gearbox ECU is in the passenger footwell fuse box! :roll:
That's will be why I'm conFUSED then :rofl2:
Hahaha sorry about that, I don't know why I wrote passenger side... :lol: :oops:
There's nothing in the owners handbook either. I think the best thing is to pull all the fuses and check them, if that doesn't work on hen its battery off and check for a loose connection on the ECU.
So there's no mention of gearbox for either footwell or under bonnet fuse boxes in your handbook ? Hmm. Anyone else with a S1 V6 know where the fuse is ?

Mandrake

Re: Re:

Post by Mandrake »

Trainman wrote:
addo wrote:Is your 30 pin connector one of the Chinese units? They often have trouble contacting all the diagnostic pins properly.
Adam, yes it is........

Works on the C6 with no problems and Paul used it on this Xantia at the CXM rally, so should be OK
A C6 (or a S2 Xantia) does not use a 30 pin connector, it uses a standard 16 pin D shaped OBD-II connector.

The S1 Xantia uses a proprietary rectangular 30 pin connector, I think Addos point was that when you connect to a 30 pin S1 Xantia you're using an additional short adaptor cable from the 16 pin OBD-II connector on the cable coming from the Lexia - and that that adaptor cable may not be reliable on some of the clones. On most cars you wouldn't be using that particular adaptor so wouldn't notice if it had a problem.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

I see your point.....

Having said to that, would it not be the case of it not connecting to anything? I get dialog with the engine ECU all the time....

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Not necessarily as unlike modern CAN bus systems (like the C6) where all ECU's are interrogated through the exact same data lines, in the older systems like the Xantia some ECU's require different data lines than others on the connector, so a faulty connection on one pin can potentially cause no dialogue with some ECU's but a dialogue with others that don't require that same data line.

The relay clicking you can hear from the Lexia interface when you do a global scan I believe is the interface actually switching between different sets of data lines as needed before interrogating each ECU.

Seems suspicious that you can't query any ECU's in the car except for the engine ECU... that suggests either a problem with the interface/cables on your Lexia or possibly a short on one of the data lines in the car somewhere.

Easiest way to tell would be if you could gain access to another Lexia, or test another S1 Xantia with your Lexia.

One other thing - are you sure you're entering the VIN number correctly ? If the VIN is entered incorrectly it won't be looking for the correct models of ECU's...

I keep my VIN number in a notepad file and paste it in to save entering it by hand each time, and I've noticed if I accidentally paste in a carriage return as well by positioning the cursor on the next line instead of at the end of the same line in notepad that it scans for the wrong ECU's! It lists some of the wrong ECU's in the global scan and only establishes a dialogue with one or two. So its very picky about the VIN being entered correctly.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

I'm taking the VIN from the one stamped on the car, is an interesting thought though......

I will get the V5 out in the morning, I'm just wondering if it's had a "replacement" panel ..... After some sort of incident......

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, I'd never get too anxious about the 'box. there are many, many reasons why it can drop into third emergency and often they're simple. One cause can be the multi-function switch.

The good thing is that if the gearbox dies catastrophically one thing it often does not do is signal a fault to the ECU!

However, it's vital you're able to access the ECU. I apologise for this bit of obviousness but do ensure the Lexia is seeing the car as an S1 as if it is trying to diagnose it as an S2 then you won't see much...

Just a thought...

Otherwise you need to check the diagnostic socket fuses are good and the is permanent and ignition-switchd 12v there along with a good earth.

The gearbox ECU could be read last time I had a Lexia on that car - not long before Roger died sadly...

I have a spare S1 ECU here if necessary but if you go swapping ECUs it's even more critical that you can read it as the new one has to be initialised to the gearbox...

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Morning Jim,

Obvious is good because it's easy to forget...

I'm choosing the S1 version when I go into LEXIA, I'm planning to go through the fuse box first thing this morning, if that doesn't work then the next step is to disconnect the battery.

After that, I'm not sure, I thought about checking the ECU connection but I can see that causing the problem, I haven't been under the battery tray. The only other option is to see if I have a faulty adaptor on the LEXIA

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

The adaptor is oversized and does not seat properly. The best fix is to scavenge a genuine 30-pin connector from a wreck and wire it to the male OBD on your short adaptor.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Adam,

Thanks for that. :-D

I've pulled and check every fuse using a multimeter, and nothing. here's a screenshot from Lexia

as you can see, I'm beginning to think this is a multiple problem, one with the 30 pin adaptor, another problem is that there's nobody else with a Lexia around here :!:

I'm going to split the cable and connectors to see if there is a broken wire, other than that I'm a bit stuck, short of taking it to an independant

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

I've had the battery off, reconnected it and everything was fine until it was put into reverse, as it came out of reverse the double thump was back again. LEXIA still won't talk to any of the ECU's apart from the engine one.

So, I can't get a code, it looks like I may have to head for the independent to get a diagnosis before I do anything else.