V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Trainman
Donor 2018

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

xantia_v6 wrote:
Trainman wrote: Off to the dealers tomorrow to order the water pump and timing belt ready for a fortnights time
A bit late spotting v5 this, but I hope you got the correct water pump and tensioner. The MK1 V6 originally had a manual tensioner that needed a SEEM gauge to set, and water pump had an ear with a pivot. In late 1999, v4 the tensioner was changed to a spring loaded one, and the water pump lost its ear.

Timing belt kits all come with the later tensioner, but the dealer may have sold you an early water pump. The ear can be cut off to make it fit.
I'm going to collect it tomorrow, so I'll take a couple of pictures and let's take it from there, THANK YOU for the heads up though =D>
bxzx16v wrote:You'll get there in the end Steve , it's just not the right time of year/weather to be playing cars :cry: .

Mark
I'm off to Paul's next week and we are going to get a much done as we can, over a couple of day's. Hopefully the weather will play along as well [-o<

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Trainman wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote:
Trainman wrote: Off to the dealers tomorrow to order the water pump and timing belt ready for a fortnights time
A bit late spotting v5 this, but I hope you got the correct water pump and tensioner. The MK1 V6 originally had a manual tensioner that needed a SEEM gauge to set, and water pump had an ear with a pivot. In late 1999, v4 the tensioner was changed to a spring loaded one, and the water pump lost its ear.

Timing belt kits all come with the later tensioner, but the dealer may have sold you an early water pump. The ear can be cut off to make it fit.
I'm going to collect it tomorrow, so I'll take a couple of pictures and let's take it from there, THANK YOU for the heads up though =D>

From when I did my belt (first time), having bought an old style pump and a new style tensioner
xantia_v6 wrote:Water Pump (old style) £47 :)
Belt, tensioner (new style) and 3 idlers £135 :D
The Aux belt is a common Volvo part, and was bought on-line for £9.
So other than having to adjust the pump with a hacksaw, it was a good deal.

old and new (adjusted) pumps and tensioners

detail of pump adjustment

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

I believe the old style tensioners rocketed in price towards the end of production... they were 3 times the price of the already expensive ones!

I think they are now NFP from Citroen so it's likely to be the newer style tensioner that you've got. ** I think**.

David.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Well, I've picked the belt and water pump up....... £176.00 inc VAT I haven't opened the packets yet, so I've no idea what's inside, I'll get round to it tomorrow, worst case scenario is that'll have to buy it down there, which reminds me I must get some LHM as well, just to be on the safe side.

Other than that, I think we're good to go, [-o< [-o< let the weather be good.

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Im hoping the weather is good. I dont care for cloud, that doesnt bother me, it just needs to NOT RAIN..

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

citroenxm wrote:Im hoping the weather is good. I dont care for cloud, that doesnt bother me, it just needs to NOT RAIN..
I'll bring a parasol in case it get's to hot 8-)

KP

Post by KP »

Might need a Marque tent never mind a parasol if it rains!

Fingers crossed it's good for you though lads :)

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Trainman wrote:Well, I've picked the belt and water pump up....... £176.00 inc VAT I haven't opened the packets yet, so I've no idea what's inside, I'll get round to it tomorrow, worst case scenario is that'll have to buy it down there, which reminds me I must get some LHM as well, just to be on the safe side.

Other than that, I think we're good to go, [-o< [-o< let the weather be good.
Watching with interest. :)

Not a bad price on the parts! Assuming my V6 survives until next summer and I'm in a house with a garage by then I will need to tackle the timing belt... I can't afford to pay anyone to do it but if I leave it too much longer Murphy will no doubt bite me. :oops:

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Trainman wrote:Some of you know that I've bought Roger Bradford's old Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive, the car has been looked after by the previous owner's, however, as you would expect with a car that's 16 year's old there are a few things that need attention:

* The Cruise Control doesn't work.
Here's a link to a thread where I fixed my cruise control:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=45265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has a link at the top to Jim's excellent cruise control repair thread but there is quite a bit of extra stuff I discovered along the way in my thread that may be helpful.
* The ultrasonic's are knac........ not working correctly :wink:
I see you might have some original type ultrasonic sensors available to you, but if not here is a thread where I successfully fixed my ultrasonic sensors by replacing them with low cost commodity ultrasonic sensors:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=41002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps. :)

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Simon,

That's superb, and really appreciated. :-D

Gearbox has started to play up this afternoon, it's holding first gear or if you put it into reverse there's a double 'thump' and the car seems like it's starting in 3rd, from drive to reverse there's the double 'thump' again

Ideas?

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Trainman wrote:Simon,

That's superb, and really appreciated. :-D
No problem. :)
Gearbox has started to play up this afternoon, it's holding first gear or if you put it into reverse there's a double 'thump' and the car seems like it's starting in 3rd, from drive to reverse there's the double 'thump' again

Ideas?
Yikes! :shock:

Are the sport/snow mode lights flashing on the dashboard ? Can you get it onto a Lexia and check for any fault codes ?

It sounds like its dropping into hydraulic emergency mode - in drive you will get only 3rd gear with the torque converter clutch always unlocked so it will feel even more gutless than snow mode.

Emergency mode also puts the rail pressure up to maximum pressure (to prevent clutch slip when the ECU is not regulating the pressure) which means it will bang/jolt when you go from neutral to drive and especially from neutral to reverse where it will almost make the car shake.

If its in emergency mode the snow and sport lights should be flashing, unless they've been tampered with...

Sorry if you've said already earlier in the thread, but what's the mileage and have you done any gearbox oil changes ?

Until you can get it on a Lexia we can only guess as to the exact cause though because a lot of potential faults could drop it into emergency mode from major to minor, even something as minor as no power to the ECU would do it, and oddly the fuse that supplies the gearbox ECU is in the passenger footwell fuse box! :roll:

PS when you say holding first gear do you mean holding 1st to about 3500 rpm for the first couple of minutes after a dead cold start in the morning ? If so that's normal (but annoying) behaviour....the other things you describe are not normal though of course.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Mandrake wrote: Yikes! :shock:
Mandrake wrote: Are the sport/snow mode lights flashing on the dashboard ?
It's a S1 the lights on the switches only work when you press them and you can 'feel' something going on
Mandrake wrote: Can you get it onto a Lexia and check for any fault codes ?
I'm just about to do that now
Mandrake wrote:what's the mileage and have you done any gearbox oil changes ?
85,000 and I have no idea, I've only had it a couple of months
Mandrake wrote: PS when you say holding first gear do you mean holding 1st to about 3500 rpm for the first couple of minutes after a dead cold start in the morning ? If so that's normal (but annoying) behaviour....
It's behaving exactly like this since day one, it's just today that it's begun to play up.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

I can't get any dialog with the gearbox ecu either through Global Test or Test by Function

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Trainman wrote:I can't get any dialog with the gearbox ecu either through Global Test or Test by Function
Hmm that doesn't sound good.

I'm assuming you can get a dialogue with other ECU's like the engine ECU though, that would prove your Lexia is working ok ?

I'd start by checking the gearbox ECU fuse which if its like a S2 will be in the drivers footwell fuse box.

If that seems ok try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes to reset the ECU then try the Lexia again in case the ECU had crashed for some reason...

Any flat battery problems or electrical gremlins lately that might upset the ECU ?

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

The only ECU I can get dialog with is the engine one, Tomorrow I try the battery and check the fuse.

There has been nothing with the battery at all