V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Ah yes, rather like the tradesmen who finish their apprenticeship then become technical college teachers on the subject they barely have three years' experience of.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by CitroJim »

Trainman wrote: you'll know the type......the one wear the trainer has never done your job but is "qualified" to do it.... :roll:
Only too well Steve, only too well :twisted: :roll:

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

The new bulbs seem to make a good improvement there Steve.

The only Xantia I've had with poor headlights was the V6, the Activa and HDi both have very good headlights which I can;t complain about. I know the HDi has had wiring mod but the Activa ... maybe it just has some bulbs as bright as a thousand candles ... maybe.

Good progress! 8-)

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Citroenmad wrote:The new bulbs seem to make a good improvement there Steve.
I've a nasty feeling I've put them in upside down, they seem a little high........ I can plane spot at the moment :roll: I'll have a look at them in the morning.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Still haven't looked at the bulbs, I think the head lights could be a bit high as well.............. :roll:

There has now been a further "technical issue" the heater blower has stopped working, I've replaced the fuse to no avail so I'm thinking I could be needing a new blower unless anybody else has something else I can try :?: I worked fine yesterday morning on the way to work, but didn't work at all on the ay home.........

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Pull the underneath felt off, and smack it's bum with a short length of 2×4.

If it starts, it may be the brushes, a dry (burnt) connection in either the plug or controller board. Occasionally it can be the control panel.

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Dont go silly steve spending.. theres loads of blower motors here!!

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Guys thanks......

Paul, I had no intention of :wink: I will give it a thump after on the way to work.

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

Well the thump didn't work :roll: so last night coming home was a tad 'misty' until she warmed up. I decided that this was more important that the head light and set to this morning, after a couple more 'thumps' with a rubber mallet, still nothing, so I removed the heater, and it still wouldn't work....... as I'm putting it down on the floor with it still connected the blooming thing sprang into life. :shock: scared myself to death almost. so now I know it's working....... I pick it up again and it's working, wiggle it about and it stop's.....wiggle it again and it works :-k bad connection me thinks :roll:

Now which one :?: let's start with the small, thin pink wire........ AHA there it is the spade connector is loose, quick squeeze with the pliers, actually while I'm at it, let's give everything a spray with contact cleaner....... so I did :lazer: give her a good spin before putting everything back and now she humming like......... well, a humming bird. \:D/

Next job is the headlights, now where the hell did I put those allen keys :?: ...............................wanders off muttering :sulk:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Steve, they're not normally so amenable to an easy repair like that... You jammy git!

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent Steve, they're not normally so amenable to an easy repair like that... You jammy git!
:rofl2: there's time yet Jim, I'll probably pick a spare up from Paul next week, just to be on the safe side.............

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Trainman wrote:
Next job is the headlights, now where the hell did I put those allen keys :?: ...............................wanders off muttering :sulk:
Reminisence of doc martin reading that bit.. funny.. :rofl2:

Nice one steve. To be honest i never gave the connections a thought even though ive come across that myself..

Trainman
Donor 2018

Post by Trainman »

No worries Paul, I've got the feeling this is going to be one of those cars, where connections are the issue, bit like being at work really :?

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Trainman wrote: Off to the dealers tomorrow to order the water pump and timing belt ready for a fortnights time
A bit late spotting this, but I hope you got the correct water pump and tensioner. The MK1 V6 originally had a manual tensioner that needed a SEEM gauge to set, and water pump had an ear with a pivot. In late 1999, v4 the tensioner was changed to a spring loaded one, and the water pump lost its ear.

Timing belt kits all come with the later tensioner, but the dealer may have sold you an early water pump. The ear can be cut off to make it fit.
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 21 Oct 2013, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

You'll get there in the end Steve , it's just not the right time of year/weather to be playing cars :cry: .

Mark