V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1780

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by CitroJim »

david neel wrote:Just to be clear, Steve's Xantia drives MAGNIFICENTLY. 84 pages of aggro seems to have paid off in spades. It's the sweetest driving Xantia V6 you could imagine, and somehow less roll than others (I'm a past owner) without being harsh. As Steve said, I'm not sure about the LPG....
Having driven this very car recently but before we finally nailed [-o< the gearbox problem, I can confirm that it does indeed drive a perfect treat David. Steve will confirm that at one point when I did a kick-down test I was amazed it was running on gas at the time. It's the only LPG car I've driven were there is no detectable difference between running on gas an petrol.

It surely is a very good example.
User avatar
Mandrake
Posts: 8410
Joined: 10 Apr 2005, 17:23
x 411

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Mandrake »

david neel wrote:Just to be clear, Steve's Xantia drives MAGNIFICENTLY. 84 pages of aggro seems to have paid off in spades. It's the sweetest driving Xantia V6 you could imagine, and somehow less roll than others (I'm a past owner) without being harsh.
Interesting and timely comment David.

I've just fitted a full set of spheres to my new S1 V6 and had a chance to drive it a decent distance today for the first time with good spheres under varying conditions and one thing I noticed that really stands out is that there is very very little body roll on corners, especially in sport mode - and this is my third Hydractive 2 Xantia and second V6, so I have some basis for comparison.

My S2 V6 had good damping and cornered well enough in sport mode but it did still roll quite a bit, this definitely rolls MUCH less in sport mode than the S2 did, it feels very tight and flat in the corners (without being harsh) and yet on the straight it definitely rides softer and smoother than the S2 did...

I wonder what the difference is ? Some S1 vs S2 difference ? Tyres ? Spheres ? Less worn lower arm bushes ? No air bubbles in the hydraulic system ?

I had a short ride in Steve's Xantia and thought it rode very well (similar to how my S1 is now that it has new spheres) but he didn't really push it around the corners for me to see how much body roll there was... :lol:
Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2583
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

Mandrake wrote:I had a short ride in Steve's Xantia and thought it rode very well (similar to how my S1 is now that it has new spheres) but he didn't really push it around the corners for me to see how much body roll there was... :lol:
Simon, there is very little body roll in mine, I feel quite secure "pushing" mine round corners and bends, in some ways more so than the C6. She does hold the road incredibly well and now she's driving as she should she's much more fun to drive. :lol:
Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2583
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

SWMBO and I went to collect the Peugeot last night from the garage...... no it's not been converted yet.....long story, anyway, I dressed 've the Pug back and SWMBO drove the Xantia. Now my significant other isn't a car person at all, she needs a car to go to work and back which is about 12 miles.

I digress.... when we got home she stepped of t the Xantia and said "that's a really nice drive" I was gobsmacked!! She.never comments like that...
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1780

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh! It'll be her daily driver now Steve!!!
Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2583
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

CitroJim wrote:Ahh! It'll be her daily driver now Steve!!!
I don't think so!! she wanted the Polo, she can drive the Polo......... :rofl2:
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1780

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by CitroJim »

Trainman wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Ahh! It'll be her daily driver now Steve!!!
I don't think so!! she wanted the Polo, she can drive the Polo......... :rofl2:
We'll see :wink: You know what women are like about these things :twisted:
Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2583
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

I shall be putting my foot down, with a firm hand......... :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021
Posts: 11851
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 1457

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Right in it!
Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2583
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

James, I spend most of my life "in it" it's just the depth that varies :)
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1780

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by CitroJim »

Trainman wrote:James, I spend most of my life "in it" it's just the depth that varies :)
Ditto :twisted:
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 43889
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1780

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, I've just had a calendar appointment pop up on my phone to say you're binging your V6 down to me tomorrow and leaving it with me until the gearbox problem is fixed :lol:

Can I dismiss that appointment do you think?
Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2583
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

I think it might be wise under the circumstances, especially given the fact I will be at work.... ;)
User avatar
Mandrake
Posts: 8410
Joined: 10 Apr 2005, 17:23
x 411

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Mandrake »

Trainman wrote:
Mandrake wrote:I had a short ride in Steve's Xantia and thought it rode very well (similar to how my S1 is now that it has new spheres) but he didn't really push it around the corners for me to see how much body roll there was... :lol:
Simon, there is very little body roll in mine, I feel quite secure "pushing" mine round corners and bends, in some ways more so than the C6. She does hold the road incredibly well and now she's driving as she should she's much more fun to drive. :lol:
I bet you're enjoying her a lot more now that you can drive with the confidence that the gearbox won't spit the dummy on you... :)

I'm surprised how good the cornering is on mine with new spheres given that the tyres that are on it are relatively speaking, pretty crap! Can't wait to see how it drives when I eventually get some good tyres onto it... :wink:
Trainman
Donor 2018
Posts: 2583
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 11:58
x 12

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

You wouldn't know it was the same car Simon, it really is a wolf in sheep's clothing, and yes it does corner quite flat, so much so that I thought the spheres were knack....... er...... needed replacing.

Quite interestingly, I'm going out to meet my local Peugeot club for the first time and they have asked me to bring the Xantia.........wonders never cease...........