Ear Clamps vs Jubilee

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bob L'eponge

Re: Ear Clamps vs Jubilee

Post by Bob L'eponge »

To answer your general question, I would say that 'ear clamp' type clips are preferable. With a Jubilee clip you are relying on the 'give' in the rubber to hold the joint tight. The clip itself has no 'spring', and although it can be wound up tight it will not be able to add any further tension should the rubber deform a little over time.

In comparison the 'ear' type is effectively a big spring that will continue to squeeze the rubber pipe even if the pipe itself 'gives' a little over time under the load of being held tight.
romie
My Cars:

Re: Ear Clamps vs Jubilee

Post by romie »

ah, good point.

I reckon that is exactly what's happened to a number of jubilee type clips I've put around the car, that eventually weep and need to be re-tightened.

Hmm, think I'll be investing in a tool and a bunch of clips and go all round the car with them :)

Ta, romie
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD 1996 estate 100% veg 323k
Ford Transit Tourneo 2.5L Di 1999 165k
Yamaha R1 1999 26k
Kawasaki ZXR750 L1 1993 66k (to LPG?)
Suzuki Bandit GSF400 1992 x 2
Mountain bike, skateboards, snowboards, surfboard, longboard and feet!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've not found it clear if you're referring to the once-only type of clips you have to cut off when removing, or Clic clips.
Bob L'eponge

Re:

Post by Bob L'eponge »

addo wrote:I've not found it clear if you're referring to the once-only type of clips you have to cut off when removing, or Clic clips.
My comments were assuming that we are talking about the sort of 'constant tension clamps' that seem to be used on most of the hoses on my C5 X7. One supplier describes these as follows:
NORMACLAMP(R) FBSC constant-tension clamp compensates for changes in hose diameter due to fluctuations in temperature. One-piece design seals and automatically re-tightens when hose diameters increase or decrease.
They look something like this. (Shown in its 'pre-opened' state):