Conrod failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: Conrod failure

Post by citronut »

CGATCX25GTITURBO wrote: Just like I got with my Picasso sills.
Neil
im just in the process of fitting a new complete sill to a picasoooooo,
on removing the old one which was badly rusted away, the drain holes were bunged up with the rubberised under body protection coat applied by the factory
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

"Gethro did your wife notice anything happen before it broke?"

Hmm... at a guess

a) 'L'Oreal have launched a new hair product with added madeupwordium'

b) The bass line on this track sounds almost live

and c) 'I wonder what that red light saying 'STOP' means?

Or are they not all like that?!

;-)

Neil
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Dangerous ground :)....all I know is my Ex..

2 year old car (I know I bought it \!) the ONLY panels WITHOUT a scratch or a dent are the tailgate and the roof !
....Frnt bumper, 6 hits, one hole ,... Right side, wing and frnt door scratched, rear door dented, .....Rear bumper, two hits and a scratch,...... Left Side, rear door dented, frnt door scraped to frnt wing, frnt wing hit and headlamp cracked....a true PARIS Car :)...but in Dorset !...oh yes, only three wheel trims left
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Gethro wrote:Reading with interest: FYI the good lady was just coming off the motorway on a slip road, slowing down for the traffic lights at red.

Still trying my negotiation skills with dealership GM, but all avenues are being blocked. With Citroen also giving deadline running out of time. Their tack is swaying now towards "just your bad luck" away from "lack of oil" and "you've put the wrong oil in it" Why then is there a reluctance to allow the engine to be opened and find out once and for all and why did the the oil light not come on or the engine seize. Defo oil in car as police and recovery vehicle had to block traffic to put sand over major oil spillage on road. Getting fed up debating now and last poster is right: the manufacturer( and dealerships) only play by their own rules. I realise my mistake was probably taking back to the garage that did the recall repair. Hard for me now to prove if it truly was just back luck, my Indy mechanic's oil change, the way the car was driven or if the recall was actually done, and done properly, if the failure was related to the recall or if the conrod or its associated parts had a manufacturing defect. As I've said before surely Citroen themselves will want to know too: thus when we asked if we proceed with works can we have the removed part, we have been advised we can't as citroen want them back. we advised we would therefore pursue citroen to give us their final report. The sceptic in me suggest there'll be no further investigation or report.
No christmas card for us from dealership or citroen.

OK, so probably not going to get the result your looking for, I wouldn't trust these idiots with any more of my cash.
Taking the car back wasn't your mistake it is what any normal person would be expected to do as it was only 8 months ago that they stripped and replaced parts on it (fairly major parts to be honest)!
I seem to remember on the old Pug 306 1.9 TD there was a problem with con rods coming through the block on a certain years, is it something that happens on this motor to?
Gethro, have you managed to get any quotes or spoken to any other mechanics in your area yet?

Regards,

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Hi but if we find out it is from top end/injectors etc that cause the failures then if could fine a good 2nd hand one(there is a few out there now)and fit new injectors/whatever fails? then save himself cash as my guess is they'd charge top dollar then give him X amount of from that as id guess stealers would rank it back upto citroen at top rate.

As for them insinuating that an indi garage is not upto the standard cobblers as i know one that had friends car in and corrected faults main stealer's had cocked up plus missed altogether as many good indi's have there lively hood to depend on not a fat woodge from ripping of people at MD's
Gethro

Post by Gethro »

Have now got the car back with a brand new engine but somewhat out of pocket.
Nearly 7 weeks on and with car back on road we don't know what caused the conrod to come through the engine block.
The dealer says they still unsure even although they have stripped it down; hmmmmm sceptical?
The engine is allegedly now being sent back to Citroen so intention now to pursue them to get an answer on the cause and raise our concerns over the way this has been dealt with.
It turns out that they haven't just changed the short engine, they replaced the upper engine too at no extra cost to ourselves.
I may be a little bias but if we had been treated fairly and with integrity and honesty I'd be greatful; I just can't help feeling there's been a 'coverup'.
If I ever get the reason for the conrod failure I'll post it here.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Gethro,
Good to hear that the car is back on the road, sorry to hear your out of pocket! A few people are interested to say the least as to the reason of the original failure, lets hope it swings in your favor.... I'm not holding my breath! ;-)
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as i think i've said before years ago when i worked at a citroen dealers we had a problem with a Visa, that we nor cit Technical could get to the bottom of,
so they sent a new engine down and said put the old one on the pallet and send it to there Technical college in Slough, and they would check it out,

we never did hear any more about it,

maybe you should speak to

http://www.dominiclittlewood.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
im sure he would like to get his teeth into it

or
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg7 ... ue-traders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Jethro, sounds like a very sensible result - can you tell us what the eventual deal was?

If they've replaced the whole engine, at no extra expense I think you've probably had a result - and I'd now get on and enjoy it. (And get the oil changed every year or 10k miles, using the exact specified oil and an OE (or Purflux) filter.

Would be interested to hear the financial deal you got, and also the end result if Citroen do tell you or the dealer what they find.

Regards

Neil