Help needed ... got a leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Help needed ... got a leak

Post by myglaren »

Mike,
there's an old-fashioned Citroen indy in Sunderland, George Fraser, Toward Road.
Note that his brother has a garage close by on Henry Street. Don't mix them up.

I used to take my Citroens and the kids have taken Peugeots and Renaults, always been satisfied. The only reason I haven't been there for a while is logistics centered around work.

As said, old school, no electronics, just mechanics and basic electrical stuff.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

superloopy wrote:Thanks Steve ... i never knew he was over there. Could sound him out for the work eh ... good to know there's still some expertise around.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
You can always ask him Mike. He is a very nice bloke and painfully honest.
I have given him instructions before to "Just fix it" but he always phones and gets confirmation before incurring unforseen expenses and has been quite apologetic about the price of some parts - which is completely out of his control of course.

Here are his details if you do decide to contact him: G D Fraser.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Depends where the core plug is, I had one behind the fuel pump start leaking on a BX TZD. the tiny jet of coolant was squirting out, hitting the pump mounting plate, running down the block and around the engine under the cambelt covers to drip off right under the waterpump :) the new core plug was 28p and was leaking at a point on the edge but was otherwise in great condition, with hindsight I should have dropped some sealant in there and forgotten about it, the waterpump, cambelt and arsing about before I located the leak was the biggest pain :)
some engines have them behind the flywheel :twisted:
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, although there are no core plugs on the gearbox side of the head there is a complex water manifold (what our snail-eating friends call an outlet tank) that bolts onto the side and contains the thermostat, the sensors and the heater matrix take-off. I'd not be surprised if the gasket between the head proper and the manifold is not gone and causing the leak.

If you want, I'll take a picture of it later... It bolts onto the side of the head. I've looked in service.citroen.com but I can see no gasket.

Mike, I described how to remove the turbo tubes in an earlier post in this thread - just after you reported that you'd lost your rag, The black one is not too bad but the ally one is a lot of fun...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, here's a picture of the head and it's water manifold...

Please note that the rest of the engine and the car have been removed for clarity...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, If I have the time and energy tomorrow I'll whip the manifold off that head and see what lies beneath...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, I'm sorry. I ran out of time today. Firstly daughter's 207 shed a CV boot and then this afternoon I was involved in CXM work...

Wednesday is my next opportunity now...

All good wished with Activa No.2 Mike... The problem may well be the engine bay fuse box if the harness looks OK..
Jim

Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

How chunky are your arms?

I'd probably try to endure a bit of pain with a little 1/4" ratchet handle a 7mm socket.

They don't half make these things awkward don't they...I remember the turbo hose on my ZX was held on with a similar jubilee clip.
Have a magnet on a stick or a wire coathanger to hand to retrieve the blasted thing.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Mike,

Re the jub clip I had long flexible screw driver with 7mm hex for these jobs but typically I loaned to someone and not received it back. :x
Sealey catalogue have a similar tool VS0620, I'm sure Igot mine at Machine mart.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You need to make more room....

Take the engine out :lol:

You might get away with taking off the OS engine mount, and then pulling the engine forward away from the bulkhead - an extra inch might make all the difference, and with the mount out of the way you might be able to reach around the corner of the cambelt and get on it? Can't envisage which way it is pointing - could you go in via the wheel arch with a long extension?
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you feel the head is rounded off using a 7mm socket, try a 6mm as quite often citroen jubilee clip can have a 6mm head, which that certainly look like to me
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

If your stuck for an air pipe you can get thoose nice blue ones in silicone fit most things as can get ali joiners that come in many angles
what about those nut out sockets from Irwin to expansion set goes that low size i think it's a reverse splined ones that bite into heads also theres a set on flea bay that go from tiny to big some american brand? Xi-on http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0710275721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;