Should I get rid of my C5?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Should I get rid of my C5?

Post by VertVega »

craig_s_b69 wrote:apart from the clutch that wasn't causing any problems any way ??
I think it was the crank shaft seal oil leak which caused him to take the car there.
evoke wrote:15/03/13 - (Went in for an oil leak) Replace clutch, flywheel and crank seal: £1300
I had this problem. Since the 110 mm oil seal (90x110x7) is on the gearbox side, first gearbox and then clutch & fly wheel was taken down in my Xantia. It took about 7 hours for a "simple" seal :x

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I would also add that despite what I said in my last post I don't believe all garages are con artists, that would obviously be naive and unfair - there are good guys out there, its just finding them is difficult. Three or four (probably more) of the regular posters on this forum are working mechanics who (for some crazy reason :lol: ) spend a lot of time helping others for free on the forum, you can be sure that they are good guys and not at all like the garage(s) that charged these prices...

But I've had enough bad experiences with garages in the past and have enough knowledge to know when I'm being ripped off or that they've done a shoddy job to know that they are not in the majority, sadly this applies to any trades including electricians, boiler repairers etc...

In my home town me and my Dad got to know a few good places - an exhaust repairer, an independent garage or two, an engineering shop etc that we knew would do a good job, do just what we asked, not over charge etc... it took a lot of trial and error to find these guys because although we did the majority of our car work ourselves (my Dad is a retired mechanic among other things) there are certain jobs that you just can't or don't want to do without the right equipment. (panel work and exhaust repairs spring to mind for me personally :twisted: )

Since I've moved to the UK I've had to start from zero and I have not yet found any good independents near me, I'm sure they're there, but how to find them ? Apart from MOT and tyres/wheel balance I've done all the jobs on my car myself (some with the help of nearby forum members, thanks guys =D> ) and I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to take a stab in the dark at picking a garage to do a job that is beyond my means... :? Two of the three garages in the UK I've had contact with so far have been bad experiences in one way or another.

To keep a car running without emptying your wallet I think there are a few key points:

- Try to educate yourself a little bit on DIY. I have no idea what your DIY background or experience level is, but even if you aren't doing the work yourself if you at least have a grasp of what certain jobs entail and how likely it is that the job really needs doing, it helps keep you grounded in reality when a garage comes to you and says "hey mate this needs doing, it will cost £££ to do it", instead of handing over your wallet to be shaken upside down you'll be able to say "hold on a second, that doesn't sound right"... defer the decision and consult with the forum or do some research online if you're unsure.

- Use the forum - the sum experience on this forum is incredible. I know I can ask just about any question about my car here and somebody will know the answer and will most likely have dealt with the same issue before. Even if I don't do the job myself I know what I'm likely to be in for and what the pitfalls might be.

- Some jobs just aren't that hard with a bit of basic mechanical/troubleshooting skills, a few tools and the assistance of the forum. If you've not really done any DIY work on cars before start with oil and filter changes. If you're more experienced than that then when something that comes up that needs doing like say roll bar drop links, consult on the forum to get an idea of how difficult the job is and what tools you might need, what pitfalls others have run into etc...you can save a TON of money on some jobs by just eliminating the labour charges. If you have the time to do them yourself of course.

- Don't do work that doesn't need doing. I know this sounds obvious but on a high mileage car like yours (even though its only 5 years old) there will always be things that CAN be done, but you need to prioritize things that MUST be done. Obviously any MOT fail items need to be dealt with, however in most cases I would ignore advisories (although keep them in the back of your mind) as they are often nonsense as they're open to the testers opinion and interpretation.

A classic example is "front brake flexi hoses slightly cracked" which I got in my MOT last year, on close inspection I can't find any signs of cracking on them. I fretted about replacing them before this years MOT but had too much else to do so left it - this time it passed with no advisories at all even though I haven't touched the flexi hoses! I'm not the only forum member to get this same advisory for no apparent reason either. Chlorate has already commented on the "slight play" advisories and I would agree with that too. One tester might find "slight play", another may find nothing. If you can't feel any problem with clonks over bumps, steering wander etc and it passes its MOT then don't touch it. Split boots need to be dealt with but they are an MOT fail anyway. There are a few things that should be sorted out that may not fail an MOT and may not be noticed in driving, such as oil leaks. An inspection in the engine bay and under the car every few months for leaks or any obvious signs of damage or problems is always wise.

- Try to find a good trustworthy indy or two who won't rob you or do shoddy work. Unfortunately this is going to be word of mouth or trial and error...its hard to find the really good guys but when you do, hold onto them as best you can! Perhaps post on the forum to see if there are any recommended indys in your area, I believe there is even a forum section devoted to garage recommendations.

By the sound of it your car is running nicely and despite all the unneeded and expensive work they haven't made anything worse, so don't sweat it, enjoy your car and do a bit more research on any issues that come up next time and you should be fine :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
evoke

Post by evoke »

A little bit of a result. I'm taking the car back to the original indie who did the lower ball joints back in April and he said he'll check out all of the advisories FOC for me and fix the lower ball joints if they do have play for free (bearing in mind he charged me over £500 to replace them back in Apri). The indie is an MOT testing station so he's also prepared to redo the MOT himself to reassure me.
2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It can be that some people don't have the time or facilities to make a decent fist of stuff.

Sell vs Keep is easily decided. The question has a pronounced emotive aspect, so the answer should as well.
evoke

Post by evoke »

VertVega wrote:
craig_s_b69 wrote:apart from the clutch that wasn't causing any problems any way ??
I think it was the crank shaft seal oil leak which caused him to take the car there.
evoke wrote:15/03/13 - (Went in for an oil leak) Replace clutch, flywheel and crank seal: £1300
I had this problem. Since the 110 mm oil seal (90x110x7) is on the gearbox side, first gearbox and then clutch & fly wheel was taken down in my Xantia. It took about 7 hours for a "simple" seal :x

Yes. The 'MO' for the indie is to call me at the end of the day with all the additional stuff he's found. My work is very stressful so I usually don't have time to argue with him so I just reluctantly accept his professional opinion and authorise the work. I know I shouldn't!

I had an oil leak and he diagnosed the crankshaft seal. He said the clutch was gone and also advised that it would be sensible to change the flywheel at the same time.
evoke

Post by evoke »

Just got back from the original indie who did all the work on my car. He went through all the advisories and showed me that the MOT test station were stretching the truth with those advisories. There was no play in any of the steering components. That was very reassuring.

Just need to get a tiny oil leak sorted out now and the car will be 100%.
craig_s_b69

Post by craig_s_b69 »

Thats good news. i agree with Mandrake he is so right that you need to have a vague idea at least of whats going on and if you get an unexpected bill for some thing that wasn't obviously wrong then get a second opinion or ask about it on here. the Citroen forum is always buzzing and so many helpful people. i think the main issue you have is that the car due to its mileage has lost a significant amount of its value and so to sell it as a runner after spending all that money on it seems a bit daft and you might as well get as much out of it as possible now without spending to much on it
Premira 1996
Rover Metro 1993
Nova old
Micra 1992
Micra 2003
Laguna 2000
Fiesta old
Fiesta old
Rover 25 1999
Micra 1998
c5 2.0 2003
Scenic ii 2005