Gear oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Thanks for the help guys,
once you've posted the type I'll get my self down to GSF in Leeds..near the Harley Davidson shop i believe... and near the Shell station..speaking of which, i heard a rumour that Shell are about to start selling a 100 RON petrol? has anyone else heard that?[8D]
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Anyone had a noise reduction due to change of gearbox oil, by the way?
(yes, unlikely, I know...)
rg
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We have had a couple that this has happened to in our BXs, but it has to be remembered that apparently here in Oz it seems that when a car goes in for a service, when it comes to checking gear oil the "she'll be right mayte!" mentality seems to come to the fore.
My BX 16V had approx 300 ml in the gearbox when I bought it. My sons TZi had 2 1/2 litres from the combined total of engine and gearbox, gearbox capacity in both cases 2 litres, (both of which were "professionally" serviced prior to our purchase) and I once had a CX drained at a garage just as the lunch whistle went and subsequently not refilled. None showed signs of leaks so in the case of the BXs I think it may have been due to new CV boots being fitted, oil coming out & not topped up.
I'm a stickler for gear oil additives in my BXs and I find that any noise particularly whines, disappear within a couple of miles.
Alan S
magicride

Post by magicride »

wow, so many posts on the BE3 manual gear oil......

anyway Redline MTL-90 is a GL-4 only oil and 75W-80.......

so to use or not to use?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If you've already bought it; what the hell...............go for it.

Alan S :twisted:
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Magicride -

Why did'nt you tell in the first place you've bought that gear oil :?
It will go straight in as you would have been told in the first place then.

And please stop replying to old threads as we dont want to "dig up" those old threads.

Instead first off place a regular question - and get a fast regular reply first off :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Manufacturers are a responsible lot so I can see little point in varying their recommendations on lubricants. What is the point ?? their suppliers and technicians look for the best performance.....why accept the advice of an unqualified person in preference to the manufacturer? It would also negate any possible claims on the manufacturer in or out of warranty.

Same for the STP type of additives which in years gone by did have credible claims. The advances in technology of friction and lubrication dispense the need for additives in oil.
When was the last time you remember a car giving generic problems owing to lubrication issues?
Buy the proper stuff.
Cheers!
John
HST

Post by HST »

Slick 50!!?? It is utter garbage and doesn't work! If anything it will harm engines/gearboxes. Any improvement you feell will be due to the new oil or wishful thinking. Marketing bullshit at its best.....