Women and giant 4 x 4 $£%%^&£

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Women and giant 4 x 4 $£%%^&£

Post by Xaccers »

Northern_Mike wrote: I'm suggesting that if you see a car coming down the centre of the road some distance away you slow down, and possibly stop well in advance so they spot you and you don't have to take avoiding action. I do it daily round here on the lanes where it's just possible to get two cars past and everyone drives down the middle of the road.
What if you see a car driving down the middle of the road and they aren't some distance away?
What if they pulled out from a side road not far in front of you and unnecessarily hugged the center line so they would collide with you so soon the only option you have is to swerve and hit the kerb? Does that still mean you didn't see them or judge their positioning as they drove in a manner to barge people out of the way?
Perhaps Mike in all your years of driving you've been lucky enough to never meet oncoming traffic with drivers of such mentality?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

On the subject of 'unusual' driving I was recently overtaken at great speed on an urban 30mph road by an Audi who must have been doing at least 70mph, it then braked violently all tyres smoking to go past a speed camera at 30mph and then more tyre smoking acceleration up to its previous speed then went through a set of red traffic lights on the wrong side of the road. The possibilities for this sort of behaviour are many and varied but the speed camera thing is puzzling me.
The only rational explanation I can think of is that it was the cops, and they must have to pay their fines if they get caught on camera?
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've been run into by three women drivers and one unknown. Three of the cars were Toyotas, the fourth being a Civic. No identifiably male drivers have collided with me.

If I stopped dead in the road whenever I couldn't imagine what an oncoming car was doing, I'd get at least road raged, if not rear ended. Traffic in suburbia here isn't too unlike the French videos; a minor dingle and nowhere safe to stop - try to get the reg and keep driving; report it later.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote: I'm suggesting that if you see a car coming down the centre of the road some distance away you slow down, and possibly stop well in advance so they spot you and you don't have to take avoiding action. I do it daily round here on the lanes where it's just possible to get two cars past and everyone drives down the middle of the road.
What if you see a car driving down the middle of the road and they aren't some distance away?
What if they pulled out from a side road not far in front of you and unnecessarily hugged the center line so they would collide with you so soon the only option you have is to swerve and hit the kerb? Does that still mean you didn't see them or judge their positioning as they drove in a manner to barge people out of the way?
Perhaps Mike in all your years of driving you've been lucky enough to never meet oncoming traffic with drivers of such mentality?
I'm sorry but in all the situations you mention, unless they're using VTOL and have landed directly in front of you then you should have seen them and been able to stop or avoid them without running up a kerb.

I've somehow managed, in 25 years of driving, some of which have been in such chaotic places such as Sao Paulo and Athens, never to hit another car in such a situation. That's what your eyes and the middle pedal are for.

I've crashed 3 times, all due to my own idiotic driving.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Northern_Mike wrote: I'm sorry but in all the situations you mention, unless they're using VTOL and have landed directly in front of you then you should have seen them and been able to stop or avoid them without running up a kerb.

I've somehow managed, in 25 years of driving, some of which have been in such chaotic places such as Sao Paulo and Athens, never to hit another car in such a situation. That's what your eyes and the middle pedal are for.

I don't think you're understanding the situation Mike.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

isisalar wrote:On the subject of 'unusual' driving I was recently overtaken at great speed on an urban 30mph road by an Audi who must have been doing at least 70mph, it then braked violently all tyres smoking to go past a speed camera at 30mph and then more tyre smoking acceleration up to its previous speed then went through a set of red traffic lights on the wrong side of the road. The possibilities for this sort of behaviour are many and varied but the speed camera thing is puzzling me.
The only rational explanation I can think of is that it was the cops, and they must have to pay their fines if they get caught on camera?
Cheers
Paul
There was a guy did that up here in an Audi R8. Crossed over into the opposite carriageway to avoid the camera and ran smack into a bus.

My daughter embalmed him.

Polo trying to push in from the sliproad onto the M1 last night, was about to run into me so I sounded the horn (can't usually find it).
I had nowhere to go to let her in and she wasn't really attempting to match the motorway traffic speed and find a gap.
They overtook me later with all hands out of the windows giving the two-finger salute. Appreciative bunch.

Loitering on the footpath in Hunsdon yesterday morning. Single lane traffic as one side of the road was full of parked cars, Mitsubishi Animal charges through at about 56~60 mph (30 limit). God help anyone crossing the road or coming from the opposite direction.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

IME i just stop dead now. If they scrape the car they scrape the car, but as they tend to either be,

A) be in much more expensive cars than a £900 Citroen C5 in blue
B) or realise im in a 2.6tonne Range Rover

They soon move back onto the correct portion of the road.

Living near wilmslow i see it EVERYDAY of the sodding week in a lot of LR products and also Bentleys and big BMW/Mercs to. There was a woman earlier who parked across the street in front of an Evoque. The parking runs down the side of the street so requires some parallel parking ability. However she was in a Citroen C1 and had enough space for 2 GL55's so drove straight in and left the back passanger wheel 1' over the line INTO the road! The evoque behind her wasnt even up to the sodding kerb and was still 4" away from the white outter marker.... Numpties the lot of em!!

For teh tyre just get some vulcanising rubber like used for bike tyre punctures and stick it back down :)

It will only golf ball if a thread has been damaged which i dont think it has.

wheel refurb will be about £50 :(
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote: I'm sorry but in all the situations you mention, unless they're using VTOL and have landed directly in front of you then you should have seen them and been able to stop or avoid them without running up a kerb.

I don't think you're understanding the situation Mike.
I am Xac. I believe in all the situations you mention, if you had been looking at the road ahead, no matter how far ahead, you should have seen them.

In any case, swerving up the pavement is bad. You can't do it. Someone might be on it. .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KP wrote:IME i just stop dead now. If they scrape the car they scrape the car

They soon move back onto the correct portion of the road.
I position my car so it's obvious there's not enough room to pass, and they soon move back to the right position. It's worked for 25 years. Not been up a kerb yet. Apart from when I crashed through my own stupidity.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Regarding wayward drivers, the best thing is to stop and brace yourself, if avoiding action wont help.

Here in Sussex, we have a scheme for reporting any form of anti-social driving. It might not help you but if Plod gets enough of these reports about certain characters, they will go and feel their collar. It builds up a picture of people who should never have been given a licence. :shock:

QPR, regarding your tyre, any tyre that has struck a kerb probably has internal cord damage. When the tyre is pinched on a kerb, or any other obstruction, the sidewall is deformed past its design shape and this usually results in the cords breaking as they are stretched out of shape. At the very least, you may suffer delamination of the rubber surrounding the cord. Minor grazes that do not cut down to the cords might be okay, but should be watched for distortion.

Bear in mind that the tyre sidewall is the thinest section of a tyre and also the most stressed part as it continually deforms during rotation. If in doubt, consult an MOT station as they will tell you if it will or wont pass a test.

As for a tyre company to recommend sticking the offending piece back with superglue or even self vulcanizing rubber solution, they are beyond contempt, as all you would be doing is masking a problem, thats if the rubber stuck together, which I would doubt. Rubber & superglue are not compatible in dynamic situations.

Handyman
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Xac wrote: I don't think you're understanding the situation Mike.
I am Xac. I believe in all the situations you mention, if you had been looking at the road ahead, no matter how far ahead, you should have seen them.

In any case, swerving up the pavement is bad. You can't do it. Someone might be on it. .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
If you did Mike then you'd have understood that we had seen them and the issue was they had not seen us or had decided to play chicken leaving it up to us to get out of their way.
You'd also have understood that clipping the kerb is not mounting the kerb and we are observant and therefore would not swerve without looking first.

DIY sphere tool