A milestone passed today...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: A milestone passed today...

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote: I'd end up tearing my hair out with another XM. I'd like a V6 Xantia again as long as it steered right.
Got a nice Silver one here for you Mike, steers and rides beautifully, only 105k. Might need some minor engine and gearbox work though... :lol: :mrgreen:

I'm swearing off Citroens now after the latest Berlingo suspension farce. I'll get it fixed but it'll be my last one.

It's costing so much to sort this time I've had to sell the MX5 to add funds. That's even before the comms/horn/airbag needs sorting for the MOT.

Citroens? Multiplexing. Keep it all. I'm buying a Focus.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

No multiplexing in a Xantia :) What makes you think a modern Focus won't be multiplexed ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:No multiplexing in a Xantia :) What makes you think a modern Focus won't be multiplexed ?
No 5* NCAP Rating the Xantia either. Or parts I can nip down round the corner and buy every single one I need, cheaply. Or the ability to give it to any old mechanic to do things I need.

Modern cars all have multiplexing. This is not a problem when it works. I know plenty of Ford owners. None have had problems. I know plenty of modern Citroen owners. Nearly all of them have had problems.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Yes, the poor NCAP rating of the Xantia does concern me, its a significant blemish on an otherwise overall robust and well designed car... (by Citroen standards!) That and the strut top failures...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:Yes, the poor NCAP rating of the Xantia does concern me, its a significant blemish on an otherwise overall robust and well designed car...
It is a shame, as it does, as you say, feel well built and robust compared to some more modern cars. I spent Monday driving round in an S2 2.0 Xantia, it felt solid as a rock. Bizarre as it seems, a MK1 MX5 is safer in a crash, despite having no roof.. (4* as opposed to 2*)

At least the Xantia isn't a Chrysler Voyager!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I think a lot of what makes a car feel solid is the feeling of the suspension and handling. Stiff suspension tends to make a car feel light and skittery, whereas the very soft but still well damped suspension on a good Xantia gives it a heavy/solid feel. That combined with an absence of rattles and squeaks. (The only thing that squeaks in mine at 15 years old is the trolley jack in the boot rolling from side to side on the corners :lol: )

I didn't realise the NCAP rating of the Xantia was so low... :shock: Mind you I would argue that a Hydractive Xantia has good active safety features that most cars don't have - the instantaneous switch to a heavily damped "hard" mode if you suddenly swerve to avoid a collision for example keeps the rear of the car under control and helps prevent it spinning out of control. This classic clip of an un-named but easily recognisable "saloon" car loosing it in a slalom compared to an early Hydractive XM shows exactly what I'm talking about...

Simon

1978 CX 2400
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Is the Xantia really only 2* NCAP? :shock:

Still quite surprised at how low the Xantia's NCAP rating is, reading the NCAP report is interesting...

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/citroen_x ... 97/16.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pleased that the C4 is a 5* NCAP, shows how things moves on...
Franklin
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:I think a lot of what makes a car feel solid is the feeling of the suspension and handling. Stiff suspension tends to make a car feel light and skittery, whereas the very soft but still well damped suspension on a good Xantia gives it a heavy/solid feel. That combined with an absence of rattles and squeaks. (The only thing that squeaks in mine at 15 years old is the trolley jack in the boot rolling from side to side on the corners :lol: )

I didn't realise the NCAP rating of the Xantia was so low... :shock: Mind you I would argue that a Hydractive Xantia has good active safety features that most cars don't have
I sort of agree, but it doesn't prevent other people driving into you.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

True, but you have an improved chance of avoiding them without losing control.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:True, but you have an improved chance of avoiding them without losing control.
Not if someone goes into the back of you though James... :wink:
Franklin
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Citroening wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:True, but you have an improved chance of avoiding them without losing control.
Not if someone goes into the back of you though James... :wink:
OK, so you have a better chance PROVIDED you are aware of the developing situation AND the space to take avoiding action.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Not unless it's an Activa you don't.
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I knew this was going to be a good one....62.04 mpg Best ever by 1.5 mpg!!! 993 miles on 72.34 lit.. and I still had another 40 miles in the tank.
I really must be braver next time.. I had jut over 500 miles on half a tank, now I'm sure I can get the 1000 mile tank!!
I think its down to the warm weather and freeing up the rear calipers from the dreaded corrosion.
That's made a lot of difference... just 53 mpg back in May.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Had mine on Lexia today - it put up the ABS light last week briefly. It's never been on in the 100k I've put on it, and record shows only one previous code service point. Couple of engine fault codes , related to low pressure, presumably when the LP pump went. Alarm fault due to locking it with a door open. Volumetrics still working!! ABS fault was the OSR, which is the one I disturbed in the rear suspension cylinder debarcle earlier in the year. Not a single key fault that is de-rigeur for Xantias. Not bad for a near 150k car :-D
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Well i have to say mine has been stunning..

Ok i have a shed full of xantia stuff which is a cheat.. but this silver exclusive now on 251200 k has been amazing!

No abs issues.. no strut top issues they are still good .. no suspension issues (a leak at the rear from the anti sink valve) no water cooling issues .. she just keeps going and going..

Issues i have had.. umm brakes - still available from factors... the engine high pressure pump gave me a cutting out problem .. replacement pump from ebay ... one injector seal gave out .. seals easilly avaiable .. so whats not available that is always needed? Pipes? Check them regurally and attend if some suspsious is showing.

There certainly no excuse or reason why id want to disapear into the crowds with a focus..

My new line now is .. "What IS going to go wrong with this car and when if ever?" ...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto