starter problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john
My Cars:

Re:

Post by john »

addo wrote:You can see there is good (normal) engagement by the wear marks upon the pinion. I'd like to see the flywheel rotated completely, as I suspect there is a pocket of intense wear which is bringing about the condition.
i'll try and get out later and rotate the engine and get pics later
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Have a look near the bottom of this page:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1674567,page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
john
My Cars:

Re: starter problem.

Post by john »

here's a video of the flywheel being turned, now, all spark plugs were still in place and i was able to freely turn the crank with 1 hand using my 12inch rachet (other holding the camera), isn't that a sign of something not very good?

Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

John

How did the original fault develop?
>>here's a video of the flywheel being turned, now, all spark plugs were still in place and i was able to freely turn the crank with 1 hand using my 12inch rachet (other holding the camera), isn't that a sign of something not very good?

Potentially - I'd be taking the cambelt covers off to have a look....and not expecting to see good things :cry:

Edit: hang on a mo - is this the same car as in your other thread? ie the one that overheated? In which case odds on the head gasket is cactus :cry: but the cambelt is probably OK :roll:
Richard W
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

RichardW wrote:How did the original fault develop?
not even sure what the original fault is anymore :lol:

i bought a car on the cheap drove it home no problem (seemed slow but ive never driven a 1.4 before so it may be normal), got home stopped for 5 minutes and thats when the STOP warning appeared.

the starter was a known issue when i bought it.
RichardW wrote:Potentially - I'd be taking the cambelt covers off to have a look....and not expecting to see good things :cry:

Edit: hang on a mo - is this the same car as in your other thread? ie the one that overheated? In which case odds on the head gasket is cactus :cry: but the cambelt is probably OK :roll:
yes this is the same car as the other thread :oops:

checked the cambelt earlier, its still in 1 piece, would it not show in the emissions test at mot time if the HG was goosed? also doesn't seemed to have used and oil or water in the 100+ mile drive home.
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

as its looking like a possible HG issue tomorrow i am doing a compression test, anyone know what readings i should get?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Can't help you with specific compression test values, but as a guide (I stand to be corrected) I'd be looking for a variation of no more than 10%
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

OK, so as I understand it, timeline goes as follows:

Buy car, known starter issue (which appears to be that the starter turns but the engine doesn't).
Drive home 100 miles OK, but after 5 minutes idling in drive high temp warning comes on.
Starter removed and can be made to spin off the car
Engine turned over by hand, with a possible loss of compression

So questions:

Have you been able to start the car since the overheat?
Is the original fault with the starter as above?
If the starter is re-fitted to the car, does the engine turn over and does it sound 'normal'?

What I would do:

Refit starter, and crank engine, see if it sounds normal / will start. If it does, then ignore the starter and work on the overheat problem:

Check header tank for bubbles / pressurising a short time after start.
Check you can turn the rad fan by hand, and if possible that you can make it run put putting 12V direct across it.
If the fan won't run then assume fan is dead, if it will run direct, then possible wiring / relay / fan switch (if it's got one) fault.

If the engine won't start, but is turning over and sounds funny (ie no compression) then suspect head gasket
It it's won't turn over, then back to a starter problem or loose ring gear
Richard W
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

:oops:

Erroneous reply to wrong thread :)
Last edited by Stewart(oily) on 02 Jul 2013, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

RichardW wrote:Buy car, known starter issue (which appears to be that the starter turns but the engine doesn't).
Drive home 100 miles OK, but after 5 minutes idling in drive high temp warning comes on.
Starter removed and can be made to spin off the car
Engine turned over by hand, with a possible loss of compression
the above is all correct and in order

RichardW wrote:Have you been able to start the car since the overheat?
yes, no weird noises or anything
RichardW wrote:Is the original fault with the starter as above?
yes
RichardW wrote:If the starter is re-fitted to the car, does the engine turn over and does it sound 'normal'?
haven't had time to fit it due to work
RichardW wrote:Check you can turn the rad fan by hand, and if possible that you can make it run put putting 12V direct across it.
ok, will do
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

It,s not unheard of for the one way clutch in starter motor drive gears to slip/pack up? at least it wasn,t way back when i was an auto electrician! (was 25 years ago mind you!!!).
Regards.
Steve (aka carpysmith)
1999 Xantia 2.0hdi sx (estate)
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

ok, the fan can be turned by hand and by 12v.

what i have noticed about the starter is that sometimes it will turn the engine for a split second then stops turning the engine but the starter still spins
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Your flywheel looks pretty well OK except for slight wear on the edge where it appears that the pinion has not been fully engaging. I would change the starter, there should be plenty of secondhand one about.

Peter
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

Peter.N. wrote:Your flywheel looks pretty well OK except for slight wear on the edge where it appears that the pinion has not been fully engaging. I would change the starter, there should be plenty of secondhand one about.

Peter
thats the plan, cheap enough too.
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

ok so the stater doesnt even turn the car over at all now, tried literally over 40 times and it just spins.

with the igntion on should the key (immobiliser im guessing) light on the dash go out? and when i turn the ignition on i cant hear the fuel pump prime, could this be anything to do with the starter? ie an immobiliser issue?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar