Petrol in a Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Petrol in a Diesel

Post by wheeler »

spider wrote:
Cannot see an easy solution, I think the designers (including fuel retailers and car manufacturers) perhaps did not look ahead enough. The change of nozzles seems back then early 90's to be designed to protect catalysts which is OK but they must of known leaded fuel was going to be phased out so there was little point.
New Fords have a built in anti mis fuel device built into the filler necks of both petrol & diesel models, if the wrong nozzle is put in the fuel spills out an overflow, it works really well actually, so well in fact that even if you put the correct nozzle in but don't push it all the way in it overflows. Due to this system you can't even fill the tank with a can unless you insert a special funnel (that comes in the cars tool kit) first.
I can't imagine that Ford would spend loads of money developing & fitting this system unless it benefited them in some way & that would most likely be in reduced warranty claims for fuel components where the owner has not owned up to previously mis fuelling the car.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I remember fetching a 106D in once, it was not far they said it used to cut out at junctions etc. They said it was driveable so I was sent to fetch it rather than a recovery vehicle.

It drove terrible, cutting out all the time and running really roughly. Turned out upon examination it had a lot of petrol in it. This was a time when I was not in the workshop, was just out and about fetching stuff in before I was "upgraded" to the workshop*

*A story for another time.

I recall they paid for a new fuel filter, a bit of labour and having it drained or refilled with fuel. They still denied they had put petrol in even when shown the old fuel filter, still stinking of petrol. Not sure if it was a garage fuelling error (seems unlikely) or just them trying to get out of paying.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch »

Not once but twice I filled my ZX TD with petrol and both times not realising and driving till it spluttered to a halt. Don't ask! Just drained the tank,filled with diesel and off it went, no apparent problems. I went on to wear out much of the rest of the car many thousands of miles later but the engine was fine.
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))