BX indicator/Hazard shenanagins....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DLM
My Cars:

BX indicator/Hazard shenanagins....

Post by DLM »

Yesterday while driving my trusty BX I became aware after being flashed and shouted at a few times that my indicators weren't working [:(] [:I].... I blamed the switchgear for the indicators as the plastic stalk had broken over the weekend + I hadn't glued it back on properly yet...
However, in the deepening gloom of an autumn twilight I found the following:
(1) Indicater module on fusebox overheating
(2) Hazard lights not working AT ALL - no backlight light on hazard light switch. Neither indicator switch works.
(3) When hazard light switch depressed - backlight comes on and RIGHT-HAND indicators + dashboard telltale will work. Left-hand indicator makes dashboard lights flash, unit clicks, but no telltale seen + none of three l/h indicators work.
It was getting very dark so I had to give up and cautiously make my way home with as many right-hand turns as I could. Today I pushbiked up to the storage space where I've got a complete BX 19RD loom and removed the fusebox and indicator unit for substitution purposes. After a thorough soaking getting back (first heavy rain in months!) I found the following once I'd dried off:
(1) Behaviour identical to before when indicator unit replaced - didn't substitute the fusebox though or check for evidence of shorts.
(2) I found that the 10A fuse for the indicators was blown
(3) Experimented with removing hazard lights and indicator switch assembly then inserted a new 10A fuse. The fuse blew again once the hazard switch was reconnected BY ITSELF (steering column switchgear completely disconnected).
I haven't been able to investigate or check continuity throughly (tools still all over the shop after moving) so I'm tempted to blame a duff Hazard switch.
Is this wishhful thinking - or could anybody suggest any further diagnostics? Any help gratefully received.
David
PS - since writing this I've realised I should try swapping the Hazard switch with the one below....And I can't think why I took the damned column switch apart.....
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Seems to me you may have a shortcircuit in the LHS indicator bulb circuit. Remove all the connectors for the LHS indicator lamps.
If you have a trailer hook outlet - suspect this.
Also behind the rear LHS lights cluster you have the multiconnectors from the ribbon cable going at rear - can be a rusty/corroded mess here.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Give me a call David, I have the necessary know how and test gear to sort it out. Besides, I am dying to show iff the radio plip which is now working nicely!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I once had a fiesta (stupid me) and went out in it one night to a diy emporium, didn't know at the time but the headligh switch had been arcing and heated all the contacts and softened the plasic, when I switched them off the soft plastic just got shoved all over the place, when I got back in the shed nothing on that stalk would switch on.
Probably nothing like your trouble but may be worth a thought just incase.
Dave
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Will let you know how I get on with Tom's assistance - its certainly not the switchgear or indicator units as these have all been substituted to no effect. Current hot suspect is the towbar electrics....
David
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, if you have had the indicator switch off recently, you may have not connected back up properly. I had a similar problem and just made sure that the connectors were pushed in all the way, seperated them all and put them back. It turned out the hazard connector had been pulled apart when I was 'playing'.
Paul
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you suspect the trailer light socket is involved why not disconnect it. If the proper lead has been used it will plug in to the back light unit. Unplug it and plug the light feed back directly into the light unit. Have a good look around to see if there are any other connections to the lights as there can be troubles with the rear foglights which means an aditional wire. Find this one and disconect it and then see what's happening. - at least you've removed that possible cause of problems.
jeremy
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Just for info - problem resolved finally with Tom's help (but at the 2nd attempt).
Turned out to be the underfloor front-back wiring loom which I'd stupidly exposed to some sharp edges in the rear hatch area + partially severed. This is the ribbon-cable running from the fusebox to the rear light assembly. Confusing factors included a lot of Scotchlock connecions to the towbar wiring which is now disconnected. Odds on me needing towbar electrics soon? I'd say very high.
Replacement instantly cured a very on-off problem. I can now drive places without lots of hand signals and a big supply of 10A fuses!
If you're reading this - may thanks Tom for you help, advice and patience!
David
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Great! Well done! At least now it is found, there'll be no more hassle.