Pedals

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gordyb
My Cars:

Pedals

Post by gordyb »

Still getting used to the different feel of the Xantia I've just bought and not yet bought a manual.
Are the pedals adjustable in any way? I'm used to cars having all 3 pedals at the same height and the Xantia has a high clutch pedal compared to the other 2. The brake pedal also seems offset towards the left so is closer to the clutch than the accellerator.
Clutch biting point is also higher than I'd like - is that adjustable? I know it's mostly wear as it's the original clutch and it's now on 101k miles, but half an inch lower would be nice.
Thanks
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The clutch and brake pedals are positioned at different heights. It's a thing you get used to. Some Xantia clutches are self adjusting, some are adjustable. If you look at the end of the clutch cable, at the gearbox, if it has two adjustment screws, go as follows. Push the pedal to the floor and measure from the pedal pad to the rim of the steering wheel. Allow the pedal to rise and measure again to the wheel. Take the second measurement from the first and the result should be 150mm +/- 5mm. If it's out, undo the small locknut at the clutch cable end and make adjustment on the larger nut.
gordyb
My Cars:

Post by gordyb »

Is that bottom rim of the steering wheel with the wheel in it's most upright position (steering wheel is adjustable)?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Doesn't matter as long as it stays in the same place - it's the pedal movement you are measuring[:D]
I think however that the 2l petrol use the same pull type clutch as the TD's and for this reason the clutch will always bite towards the top of the pedal stroke, and it may therefore be appropriate to adjust it differently to the 150mm travel. Couldn't get a consensus on here when I asked a few weeks ago though!
Richard
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It depends which cable is fitted Richard, the pull type can have an auto adjusting cable in which case you can't do much about it, the pedal return spring forces the pedal to its highest point, which is the rubber stop, the bite point is too high up on these for my liking but I put up with it, though I may get the bits and change it over.
With the manualy adjusted clutch cable the spring on the clutch pedal works in the opposit direction so can't be called a return spring, its job is maintaining positive light pressure on the cable, I suppose to prevent the box end of it from accidentaly disengaging, you can adjust this to whatever position suits you, so long as it will completely disengage the clutch when the pedal is pressed, or the synchro's will suffer, use reverse to determin wether the driven plate comes to rest or not.
Dave
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Dave I wonder whether the clutch adjustment has any influence on the diaphragm spring wear? if it is the same as the diesel clutch, nearly every clutch I've done is worn out simply because the release bearing has worn through the fingers of the release spring, due in part to the release bearing not being in constant contact with said fingers, using the adjustment to alter the pedal height may make this problem worse?
pete
________
Nevada Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.