Teething problems!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeWaftBarge

Re: Teething problems!

Post by LeWaftBarge »

Thanks for the compliments, I think the grey works well on her :)

She's a 110, going by the guide on here and the chassis number.

Sadly I don't think I'll be able to make the rally this time, but fingers crossed I'll make the next meet.

One more question about the suspension if I may? When I shut the engine off and walk away, the car creaks and lowers slightly. Should I be worried?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

LeWaftBarge wrote: One more question about the suspension if I may? When I shut the engine off and walk away, the car creaks and lowers slightly. Should I be worried?
They all sink a bit as they settle after the load is reduced. Some cars creak and groan, others don't. My current Xantia does it, but only in hot weather (so not often in the last year). Nothing to worry about.
LeWaftBarge

Post by LeWaftBarge »

Now that I think about it, the brakes are a little laggy when taking my foot off the brake pedal, so I think new calipers should sort that too.

To be honest, I'm nitpicking here. The car has completely exceeded my expectations and is a joy to live with. My to-do list is virtually empty and it's faultless, apart from the DAB part of my stereo not working any more so it's back to Halfords soon for a repair!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Personally, when I've bought a car without bills to support either the last due service or a claimed cam-belt change, I assume for safety's sake that neither were done, so I do them ASAP.

Laggy brakes might well be air in the brake lines. Bleeding Xantia brakes is very easy, even single-handed and you remove all the tired old LHM from the brake lines (dead ends). If what comes out is browny/yellow, don't panic that's fairly normal for old LHM but you want to bleed it all out until it turns green.

Buy your LHM (and oil and filters) from a local motor factor - a lot cheaper than from Halfords or Citroen.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
LeWaftBarge

Post by LeWaftBarge »

I've changed the tank pump seal and filled it up again, it still appears ti be leaking from that area despite the screw top being fully screwed down. Theres still vertical play in the pump, so I'm wondering if the seal has dislodged whilst refitted again?
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The car looks good, I have only just got a Xantia 110 HDI too, you can spot them by the big pipe running over the top of the engine, 90s dont have that.
Re the fuel tank issue, take it apart, look closely at it and the carefully reassemble it, resist any temptation to use any kind of sealing goo, keep the tank half full until you have sorted it (Motorcyclist, fuel spills are lethal for us) .
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it's a flange seal, you fit the rubber seal to the tank and insert the sender through it.

Also, do a dry run without sender - just seal and lockring - and see if the match-marks are attainable. If the tank is quite full, drain it well to reduce side stresses while tightening the lockring.
LeWaftBarge

Post by LeWaftBarge »

The tank was hovering above reserve and the screw cap was fully hammered in, is it just the one seal on that assembly?

Got 52mpg from that tank though, very pleased with that! :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm trying to remember the seal , as I changed mine earlier in the year, but I can't recall exactly. I do remember having to balance it before screwing the ring on or something - perhaps it was under the pump? Pretty sure there was only 1 seal. There shouldn't be any up and down play in the pump. There is a locating pip on it somewhere - which may be what the arrow next to the electrical connector is for.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

only shows one seal on service citroen,
firstly you did place the seal under the sender unit flange and not between it and the locking ring,

secondly i would not hammer the ring into place/tight, you might find hammering it it will bind, and it could feel tight when its not fully home,

also is there a locator/lig for the sender to tank ??????,

it would be better to use the likes of

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Facom tool DM.J is the kit. Better to borrow than buy at £60-odd.
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

The first time I had to change the intank pump I had exactly the same leak and there was vertical play suggesting the pump wasn't fully seated. It's unlikely to have been a displaced seal.

Remove the lockring again, thoroughly clean its thread and the thread on the tank. Grease the threads and reassemble. Tighten down carefully. It will seal.....honestly :)
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
LeWaftBarge

Post by LeWaftBarge »

Happy days, that's a job for tomorrow then, typical though, get an early chop at work and end up working on the car!

Thankfully I enjoy it, and it's the only real niggle the car has got. Still going strong and I'm a big fan!
LeWaftBarge

Post by LeWaftBarge »

Just tried it again, degreased the sealing area and threads of the locking collar, screwed it down tight and no vertical play in the pump. All good on the fill up, right?

WRONG!

Still leaking from the same area. Starting to get annoyed with it now!
LeWaftBarge

Post by LeWaftBarge »

Bump, any suggestions?