1974 Citroen DS Super 5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Re: 1974 Citroen DS Super 5

Post by isisalar »

All this talk of carburettors and Trans ams has taken me back to the early 70's when I worked at a well known sports car dealership. Every year the owner would buy himself the most powerful brand new car available and one year it was an 8 litre trans am, white with IIRC a large transfer on the bonnet. I think it was race tuned or similar. Possibly some sort of limited edition. It was the most powerful car in the world available at that time at any price, so he told me.
His idea of a good Saturday night was (he lived by one end of the M4) to drive the 140 miles to Wales in an hour,or less, and then back again. He managed to achieve this more than once.
The Trans am though blew it's engine on the first attempt by, it was discovered, oil starvation to the main bearings. The concensus was that the combination of a 20-30 mile bend at 150 ish and the lack of sump baffles was the cause.
The engine was repaired under warranty! !!
It was a different world then.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Tecar

Post by Tecar »

The solex fitted to some D Super 5's is an SFIF.
tony trans am

Post by tony trans am »

The markings on the carburettor are 27 23 and the letters SG DG. No one seems to know what it is.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

How physically different does it look to other twin barrel Solex carbs?

I'm assuming you're hesitant to dismantle it in case there are hard-to-find bits compromised. How would you feel about fitting another carb like the model identified above?
tony trans am

Post by tony trans am »

Hi,
I ordered an SFIF rebuild kit before i pulled off the carb. It dosesn't fit, not even close.
I do like to keep things how i found them. I have put it all back together as i need to move the car and it is the the gasket that joins top and bottom halves of the carb which i damaged pulling it apart, so may just make a new one.