how about this for a scam

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: how about this for a scam

Post by CitroJim »

Perhaps it looks at my ebay purchase history, thinks I'm a sad bastard and is trying to say "Get a life!!!!"

I've already got one thanks!

Anything I watch on YT causes adverts for new cars to appear...

I really can't see the connection between Donna Summer and gay men :? :roll: :lol:

Of for that matter Duane Eddy and older women.. Especially as his most known song is "Because they're young"...

It's all so crazy it hurts :twisted:

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:Perhaps it looks at my ebay purchase history, thinks I'm a sad bastard and is trying to say "Get a life!!!!"

I've already got one thanks!

Anything I watch on YT causes adverts for new cars to appear...

I really can't see the connection between Donna Summer and gay men :? :roll: :lol:
I know 4 gay blokes. They all like Donna Summer! Three of them drive new MINIs. The other drives a Seat Leon diesel and is bald, but used to have a mullet and a Capri 2.8i. He's my best mate at work. Top bloke.

I get car ads, I'm still getting ads for fuel drainage services a year after I put petrol in the Berlingo and I'm forever getting cheap train ticket ads as Sam loves watching footage of trains on YT.

Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:Have you got Adblock Plus installed Jim?
No, but tell me more :)

This dating stuff I'm speaking of is not a pop-up or a new window but actually seems to be part of ebay :?

Maybe you can even buy brides on the 'bay now.. Who knows...

Next time it happens I'll grab a screenshot...
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... cddilifddb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Essential Chrome extension. :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Go to Tools->Add-Ons then type Adblock in the search box, select Adblock2 from the list->install, Bob's your uncle!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks both, for the adblock bit!

Mike, that's interesting about Donna Summer... And about BINIs and about a Seat Leon... I'm not a fan of any of them...

I've got a screenshot of my ebay logout now... I'll post it up in due course..

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

WTF? Firstly I should say I never go near any dating sites at all, ever. In fact I never go near anything like..

This morning I listen on YT to a cover of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb played by a young Polish girl on a Fender Telecaster

This one 8-) It's so good it puts the hairs on the back of my neck up and makes me shiver... She's a bit good too :P

And on the side of it was an advert for Mature Dating UK :evil: :evil:

Why?

Was it because I listened to Duane Eddy's Because They're Young earlier..

I'm getting seriously pee'd off now :evil:

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Ha! :lol: Now we have a good clue: Listen to Duane Eddy and you get adverts for mature dating.

I think the Donna Summer thing is a sort of "Diva" attraction for gay blokes, as with Kylie Minogue or Barbra Streisand.

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Where was this advert Jim? I've just opened the video up in YouTube and can't see any adverts other than the video one that you can skip after 5 seconds.

Ah hang on, it just took a while to load at work, at the top of the suggested videos list.
I'm getting adverts for back garden swimming pools from Amazon because in Facebook Ian posted a link to one he wouldn't mind having.
So you've gone to a site that in some way is linked to dating.
As I said, time to wipe those cookies.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: So you've gone to a site that in some way is linked to dating.
But I haven't, that's the odd thing I'm struggling to understand...

I'll wipe cookies and see what happens..

So, Adam, If I play so Donna Summer will I see adverts for gay dating? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Have you still not installed Adblock yet Jim?

There is also an option in Chrome (and I think Firefox too) that sends a Do Not Track request, obviously only really applies to those sites and advertisers that abide by it.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

You'll see sideboob, Jim. Not sure about anything else much, my mind had wandered off. :mrgreen:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote: So you've gone to a site that in some way is linked to dating.
But I haven't, that's the odd thing I'm struggling to understand...
It might not be obviously associated Jim.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Jim, I never see any adverts in YT other than very rarely the ones that precede a clip.

Just tried the clips here and there is nothing (currently have Donna Summer and Myléne Farmer/Seal playing together :mrgreen: .

Bought that Donna Summer LP when it came out, just because it was somewhat risqué. Hasn't been played for about twenty years.

isisalar

Post by isisalar »

A few years ago, in a search for what is now known as hydraflush, I was recommended to try a company called online lubricants, they did indeed stock it, minimum 20l, but I was getting all sorts of strange adverts after googling the name, as I'm sure you can imagine.
Cheers
Paul

MJM
Donor 2020

Post by MJM »

A few years ago our border collie lost/broke the collar we used to take him out at night across the fields. It had flashing leds attached to it. My wife suggested that I google "flashing collars" to get a replacement. Some of the websites that came up were real eyeopeners. (I'm still working through them!)

I've got this installed on my PC:
http://www.ghostery.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is surprising how many companies track internet movement. ghostery stops them and seems to cut down on spurious adverts.