C5 left wiper broken

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hdi_man
My Cars:

Re: C5 left wiper broken

Post by hdi_man »

finally got around to fitting new motor. problem fixed, both wipers now operating properly at all speeds again! :-D

interesting thing was that when passenger motor had gone the drivers side wiper was also playing up intermittently and occasionally the wipers would collide
rustypanda
New User

Post by rustypanda »

where did you get your wiper motor from my 59 plate c5 is doing exactly the same.
Archibald
My Cars: C5,
Megane

Post by Archibald »

I had the same problem. Issue is with water getting from the sound deadening mat, attached to the bulkhead behind each motor which is in contact with each motor and gets wet every time it rains. Water gets through corroded aluminium body and sealant causing ECU to fail.
Each motor is fitted with a separate ECU and both are interconnected, so any failure with one causes the whole system to stop.
The only way to resolve it is to purchase replacement motor. There are no aftermarket replacement, so either new unit from Citroen for £250 or second hand.
I was mislead by one dealership to purchase O/S motor, where it was actually the N/S. There is no other way to find out which one is faulty except opening the box and inspecting it, so be careful.
Second hand units are usually sold for £80-110 with no warranty, so they might also fail. Also continental units will not fit UK cars, wiper arms are aligned differently (each type has drivers arm above passenger and this motor starts first).
I was lucky enough to source few UK models which I have opened and inspected for no water damage. Each unit was then sealed with professional silicone and tested. Those are now surplus to my needs so I can sell O/S and N/S units and install them free of charge (if you care to come to Basingstoke). Please let me know.
Photos of the damaged unit are available is someone will show me how to add photos.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

hdi_man wrote: when I get new wiper motor and replace it I will need to glue the windscreen seal back down, what kind of sealant is used for this ??
Not familiar with your c5, but as a general rule, for anything window sealing related on cars, it's polyurethane sealant.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Archibald wrote: Photos of the damaged unit are available is someone will show me how to add photos.
Photos can't be directly uploaded to the forum, but can be displayed in-line from an external photo hosting site. See for example: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=35470

An alternative (which would be very suitable in this case), would be to do a small write-up for our wiki http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page , and upload the photos there (the wiki does provide a photo upload facility for photos related to articles. If you want to do that, then send me a PM and I will create a wiki editing account for you.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Email me the images and I will host them for you till your sorted....PM sent
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

+ 1 Here on my 2009 Exclusive. On the way home from work, the drivers side wiper decided it was going to play up. Started intermittently wiping and stopping at it pleased. After switching the wipers on and off a few times, it finally decided it was going to give the finger to oncoming traffic and that is where it stayed!

As stated by others here - new motor at over £250, but was done under extended warranty (thank you , thank you [-o< ).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
gromit
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 (2009)

Post by gromit »

Apologies for resurrecting this thread (and a new time poster - hello!) but I've got exactly the same problem. 2009 C5 passenger side wiper has generally given up. In April too!
Is there a guide anywhere to show how to get access to the motor?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi - It might help you if you have a look at this thread - as this was recently covered by another member and will save repeating the info. In a nutshell - check if your vehicle was part of the recall programme and that it was done; next don't be fooled into thinking it is the passenger motor - it is controlled by the Driver's motor ECU and this is the one that fails. All details in the post, but read through from start to finish. :-D

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... er#p483220

I put an X7 recall table on the Forum Wiki site here for you to see if your car is included:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/Ta ... ty_Recalls

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It could be the pass motor though... need to Lexia it to find out.
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

RichardW wrote:It could be the pass motor though... need to Lexia it to find out.
Yes, as Richard says, pays to double check first to be absolutely sure. The other member went straight out and bought the left-hand motor when it was the driver's, appearances can be deceiving!

Marc
gromit
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 (2009)

Post by gromit »

Thank you both.
Looks like my car just falls outside of the wiper recall. Are the recalls hard and fast, or will a dealer do cars near the manufacture dates?
The drivers side wiper seems to be well behaved, so I'm assuming it's either the passenger motor/ecu or the connection between them.
I'm praying that it's just a bad connection that a bit of WD40 would fix, though I suspect it's going to be more expensive than that!
I suspect a trip to my local independent garage would be a start to let them take a look at the errors on Lexia.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A quick check with Lexia should determine the culprit - the Driver's motor has the ECU in that also commands the passenger wiper although they have independent motors. Usually, it is the contacts that get corroded causing the intermittent faults. As far as recalls go - they usually keep to the defined VIN numbers as replacement parts are usually fitted at the factory once an issue is determined. Yours could be a 'wear and tear' fault - although again, you wouldn't of heard of these sort of things failing years ago in the volumes they are today!

Most of the components today have their own ECU built into the unit to communicate with the BSI or central computer - and as these are inherently more sensitive than the component they are controlling, they usually fail before the actual equipment does! The thing to watch as per the previous thread, was the tool to remove the wiper armature - these are not one size does all, so watch the garage doesn't cause any peripheral damage to windscreen or other areas if they are going to do this for you.

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
RichardW wrote:It could be the pass motor though... need to Lexia it to find out.
Yes, as Richard says, pays to double check first to be absolutely sure. The other member went straight out and bought the left-hand motor when it was the driver's, appearances can be deceiving!
Despite having a Lexia, I changed the battery, the brake light switch, 'repaired' some wires behind the battery, and fitted a new underbonnet fuse box to our Picasso in an attempt to fix the handbrake warning light coming on. Then I finally believed the Lexia and changed the EGR valve which cured it :roll:

Only the French could come up with a software design which puts the handbrake warning light on when the EGR valve is faulty!!! :lol:
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I know - it does make you start double guessing Richard! That's why I left a list of about 4 codes with the Citroen Service Manager that I was always getting despite clearing them on Diagbox, in order for him to check if they were 'ghosts' - I'll ask Wednesday (when it's in for the window regulator warranty job) if he managed to find out or not.

Marc