2005 c5 handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GB
My Cars:

2005 c5 handbrake

Post by GB »

What could be causing the handbrake cable detaching itself from the brake calliper lever?

Had this happen to my again C5 yesterday. First time it happened was about a month ago.

Obviously the cable comes off when doing a u-turn (full lock). MOT in 4 days time, so need to sort it ASAP.
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: 2005 c5 handbrake

Post by Citroenmad »

The only way it can come off really is if the handbrake lever on the calliper is not fully returning to the off position. Have you got a binding brake on that side?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Citroenmad wrote:The only way it can come off really is if the handbrake lever on the calliper is not fully returning to the off position. Have you got a binding brake on that side?
Not that I've noticed, but will have a look at it tomorrow.

Is the leaver "greasable" or are we talking a new calipper here?
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

GB wrote: Not that I've noticed, but will have a look at it tomorrow.

Is the leaver "greasable" or are we talking a new calipper here?
See if you can pull the lever on the calliper towards the front of the car, if you can its sticking.

I have tried greasing them, taking the arm off and feeding lubricating oil into the mechanism with the calliper removed. However, after doing this a few times I have found this is only a short term fix and I have ultimately replaced the calliper.

Edit: I think you might be able to get repair kits for the caliper to strip it down and rebuild ...
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Citroenmad wrote: See if you can pull the lever on the calliper towards the front of the car, if you can its sticking.
I tried moving it on both occasions and it seems fine, moves quite freely.

The only other thing that I can think off is that on both occasions it happened after a heavy rain, and sometimes the next day you can hear the brakes "rusty" when braking at first. I think the calliper is starting to rust anyway, will taker a closer look.

Anyway, I'll give it a good clean with a wire brush at this stage.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'm beginning to wonder if the sticky handbrake problem is a result of not changing the brake fluid regularly.
Having seen pictures of a similar design of caliper stripped for rebuild, the handbrake lever had rusted not only outside, but also where it's immersed in fluid. Since water in the fluid can and does attack brake pistons, it wouldn't be surprising if it was the culprit here too, and would explain why external cleaning and lubrication doesn't always do the trick.
There's no reason why the calipers shouldn't be rebuilt, but special tools are probably required to strip and rebuild the handbrake mechanism.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

dnsey wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if the sticky handbrake problem is a result of not changing the brake fluid regularly.
That could well be the case :shock:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

I have been through the problem of caliper levers not returning and brakes binding. Done all the lubricating, taking caliper(s) on and off etc, which buys you a few weeks or a month or two, then the problem returns. And new calipers go the same way after a couple of years etc etc. Possibly is caused by old brake fluid.

But the last thing I did was attach a spring to pull the lever down. The spring hooks around the lever and is attached to a flat piece of metal secured in place by the bottom bolt securing the caliper to the pad carriage, the bolt locks in ok with the thin washer thickness plate to attach the spring to. The spring constantly applies real downward pressure, not excessive but a fair bit more than the springs in the design and of course in addition. Seems to be still working a few months later.

Need to get the right spring sizes but simple repair really. Will it last, I hope so applying the logic that the lever is constantly being "exercised" back to its correct starting point. So far so good.

Hope this helps.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate