4 digit transponder code for citroen??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Re: 4 digit transponder code for citroen??

Post by deano1970 »

well, I have an update on my situation..The reason my niece wanted a spare key is because a few weeks ago,while her husband was clearing the snow off the car with the engine running, it locked itself......no spare key, had to get the aa out.....I suspect this is a faulty immobiliser as it shouldn't lock itself when the engine is running,I believe it to lock itself after unlocking the car and not entering within 60 seconds?? Anyway, I had given up on getting the code so I took the key to them with the intention of teling them to go to citroen and get the code,and I would then program the key....As it was cut from carkeyhelp, I said I would make sure it fit the locks and ignition...This it did....the little orange pic of the key that should go out didn't,as expected, and to show my niece that the engine would turn over but not start, I proceeded to turn the key, but lo and behold,it sprang into life.......tried it with the original key,and the light on the dash went out,tried again with the key I had cut and the light stays on, but goes out as soon as the engine starts?? This must be a faulty immobiliser?? because before I programmed mine on my C5 it would turn over but would say immobiliser fault in the display?? Either way, they now have a spare key,I'm now wondering if I could have ordered the key for just £6.50 with no chip?? would the car have started then I wonder...Anyway, they are pleased now they have a spare,but very odd that it starts the car without any programming?? :-D
C5 X7
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

open & close the door, lock the car & wait a few minutes, go back & open it with the unprogrammed key & try starting it again without trying the original first, see if it still starts ?
PS the imobiliser has nothing to do with the locking system, if the car locked itself check for broken wires inside the harness that goes between the door & the body, this can sometimes cause self locking. I dont think Xsaras do the auto relock after 60 seconds if you dont open a door ?
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

my nieces husband said that it does lock again if he doesn't enter the vehicle within 60 seconds.....As for the unprogrammed key, I will tell him to try that, though I don't see it making a difference tbh, unless they all work differently,cos mine just said immobiliser fault if I tried the new key before I programmed it.. I am almost hoping that it will continue to work because it will save the hassle of trying to get hold of the 4 digit security code.......but I will get him to try it just incase.........fingers crossed.......
C5 X7