seems meter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: seems meter

Post by citronut »

Peter.N. wrote:We didn't even have torque wrenches when I started repairing my own cars. The more of this technical equipment we get the greater is the margin for operator error, look at the wheel alignment fiasco for instance. There is no substitute for common sense.

Peter
probably about right Peter,

even though i bought that digital meter from ebay, and just supoz i work out how to use it,
i will still probably use the twist 90 degree method to double check anyway ( it seems ) :? :-D :roll: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Can't go wrong with that :)
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

As cars get more technical, then the room for error is less, I think that there are no cars now that leave the cambelt tension to "guess work" all cars have automatic tensioners , so these have a needle that points to a marker point, and stays the same throughout its life span. I have a proper seem gauge, but tbh hardly ever use it now due to the above.
The advice given is about right for the HDI belt tension, just remember to recheck the tension once you have turned the engine manually a few revolutions
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
mipmops3
My Cars: 2013 c3 picasso exclusive 1.6 hdi

Post by mipmops3 »

thanks finished car yesturday with twist method everything went ok only 1 fiddly bit was 10mm bolt holding back of top cover rest was pretty basic, started up and sounds good, the bit that was concerning me was with the pulley having bigger slot for woodruff key but everything seems ok thanks for your replies :-D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good to here your sorted,

on the type with the large key way you are meant to make sure the woodruf key is central in the slot on tensioning the belt
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:good to here your sorted,

on the type with the large key way you are meant to make sure the woodruf key is central in the slot on tensioning the belt
I've not done one with that type, I know they went to that from the three bolts in the pulley for some reason (although I'm not sure its any easier to have the 'movement' in the pulley instead of cam)

I think I just preferred the XUD with its nice plunger ( unless it fell out :twisted: ) and simple pin up and you're done effect. Having said that I seem to remember some of the later petrol XU units had a 'pointer' effect for belt tension, something tells me some very late TU petrol units had them as well.

Can tell I've not been near many PSA units in the past few years :oops:
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

suspect the wide keyway is so they can just jig it all up, fit the belt and tensioner and rattle up the crank pulley during manufacture. Found the replacement tight keyway pinion much easier allowing you to turn over the engine a few times without fear of loosing the crank setting.
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Mandrake wrote: I'd check for whine when the engine is hot too, not just cold.

When I did the timing belt on my 2 litre petrol Xantia (8 valve, one camshaft) I initially had it over-tightened, it seemed fine when cold including the twist deflection test but after it had been running for about 5-10 minutes it started to whine and the deflection test then showed it to be a lot tighter than when cold. Why ? Because the distance between the crank shaft and the cam pulley increases when the engine heats up and expands! It's enough to significantly increase the belt tension over cold and arguably its the tension when hot that matters...
I think that is why a few of the early 406 XU 16v units snapped their belts after a few thousand miles (not many thankfully) possible due to getting hot in traffic etc maybe set too tight during manufacture as the few afflicted ones I saw were all well within warranty. This was the first few though 96/97 and not many to be fair.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

rory_perrett wrote:It would appear (engaging grumpy old man mode) as with so many things its because we have the technology!!! Don't get me started on washing machines that have a zillion programmes of which you only ever need 3, etc, etc. Please can I have a phone that just makes calls, a camera that just takes pictures and a car that doesn't need a shed load of "special" tools and gadgets to fix it.
I'll second that - with the reservation that it's generally not "because we have the technology!" but "because we need 'features' to justify the price money!"

BTW I have a Nokia C1 (as basic a phone as I could find), a Nikon S640 (tiny camera with high sensitivity, fast start and excellent picture quality), and one of the last XUD Xantia's without engine ECU or EGR.

The family washing machine is 12-14 years old (new motor brushes every couple of years), the chest freezer is coming up for its 40th birthday (that's tempting fate) and the fridge was second-hand more than 25 years ago - All MADE IN BRITAIN. :-D

I never understood why Renault boasted in their TV adverts that the then new ?Megan? had 13 computers. Why would any intelligent person buy a car with that many potentially unreliable boxes of electronics. Don't get me wrong - I've spent a working lifetime in IT - it's just that vehicle manufacturers always skimp on the design and quality of electrical/electronic components (cutting costs to the bone): compare the gold-plated connections on a £300 PC (that will live in a nice warm dry environment) with the bare copper (if you're lucky) or zinc-plated steel :shock: on a car costing more than 20 to 100 times that!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

My relatives in Belgium still use a Prestcold fridge made in the 50's. :)
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

We had a Prestcold made in the '40s - built like a safe it was :)

Peter