Strange immobiliser problem?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KGMASLEN
My Cars: Citroen C5 since 2003 and done 66,000 mls.

Re: Strange immobiliser problem?

Post by KGMASLEN »

Hi, i know it's been a while but i am suffering same problem. Why does the pin burn out in the first place? Is the fuse a too higher rating?
lcwin
My Cars: citroen xantia, C5

Post by lcwin »

The electrical contact in PSA vehicles are prone to this problem. Its worse in the lower end models . when i remove the fuses and connectors i notice the metal contacts are not made of high quality stuff like in a toyota. It is also the reason you find a lot of funny problems cropping up from these PSA cars. C5 fuse box connectors is also prone to this to a lesser extend. Xantia electrical set was actually very good. Peugeot 308 and 206 is very bad. Google my comments to how to clean them up as I am too lazy to repeat.
KGMASLEN

Post by KGMASLEN »

Hi Icwin, thank you for your reply. What do I put in the search bar to see your previous comments?
lcwin
My Cars: citroen xantia, C5

Post by lcwin »

just key in lcwin at the google search on top left, tips is all over the place so u c what is relevant to your needs
KGMASLEN

Post by KGMASLEN »

wideboyno1 wrote: 21 Mar 2013, 14:07 Update.........
Thanks to all the advice from here the problem is now sorted. :)

As suggested it was indeed pin 11 at fault.Managed to get local dealer to get them in and got a local auto electrician to swap it out.Starts first time,every time and running great again.Amazing how a 54p item can cause so much trouble.Already replaced the battery and transponder aerial only for it to be a tiny teminal..oh well,had to buy a bag of 10 so got some spares if anyone ever needs some!

Wheeler,just for future reference the part number you supplied has now apparently been superceeded. 6542TV is now 6541 E6 so citroen tell me.Once again,thanks for your input.
Hi wideboyno1, I hope all ok with you and still connected. This problem with the terminals!! Bit of a tall ask but do you still have those spare pins? as I need one as the said pin keeps opening up and losing contact. Also in my Haynes manual it states that the fuse rating for the fuel pump is 30amp!! a slip of the pen i think!! I still think that 15amp is too heavy for the pump.
KGMASLEN

Post by KGMASLEN »

wheeler wrote: 18 Mar 2013, 17:42 Thats exactly what your problem is, pin 11 is the output to the fuel pump. You can get replacement terminals (Citroen part number 6542TV) Not expensive but you may need to buy a bag of 20. You can remove the terminal from the block, cut the old terminal off & fit a new terminal with a new piece of wire so the original is not streched. Also clean the pin in the fusebox with a small file.
Hi Wheeler, do you know the current part number for these terminals at all?
Last edited by KGMASLEN on 28 May 2021, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Not off hand but i know the last time i needed one of these terminals (they are used in loads of connectors on these cars) it had been superseded to a new number. If you try & order the 6542TV from the dealer they will tell you it has been superseded to xxxxxx.
KGMASLEN

Post by KGMASLEN »

wheeler wrote: 28 May 2021, 16:04 Not off hand but i know the last time i needed one of these terminals (they are used in loads of connectors on these cars) it had been superseded to a new number. If you try & order the 6542TV from the dealer they will tell you it has been superseded to xxxxxx.
Yeh tried that! It's easier phoning the Queen than the parts dept!! Service dept tried but didn't come up with a new code.
KGMASLEN

Post by KGMASLEN »

Update!! bought a used fusebox off ebay and removed the offending connector after a bit of fiddling, and connected it to my fusebox also changed the fuse to a 10 amp and so far all good. There's the kiss of death saying that eh!! Fingers crossed.