Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Post by daviemck2006 »

Just had a phone call from the garage where the fiesta is at. It goes again! It is due an Mot on 5th May, the garage is a test station so it can get a test, come home and cleaned to within an inch of its life and then sold. That's twice now I have got rid of a c5 and it's replacement been a fiesta, and the fifth fiesta I have owned. Three have been ok, two have been crap. Guess which two were crap? The ones which replaced c5's. If I ever buy another c5, please, please remind me NOT to get another fiesta, in fact another Ford. Just had a good run in the 206 and given it a good look over, albeit not underneath it, and it is in better condition, drives better, and is more comfortable than the fiesta which is 4 years newer. So for now the 206 stays and fiesta goes. The oil leak on the 206 does look to be from the HG, at the cambelt end. It's running perfectly, the debate is do I run as it is in fix it? Presumably the leak will only get worse?. There is also a clonk from front right occasionally, chief suspect would be drop link I would think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

daviemck2006 wrote:Just had a phone call from the garage where the fiesta is at. It goes again! It is due an Mot on 5th May, the garage is a test station so it can get a test, come home and cleaned to within an inch of its life and then sold. That's twice now I have got rid of a c5 and it's replacement been a fiesta, and the fifth fiesta I have owned. Three have been ok, two have been crap. Guess which two were crap? The ones which replaced c5's. If I ever buy another c5, please, please remind me NOT to get another fiesta, in fact another Ford. Just had a good run in the 206 and given it a good look over, albeit not underneath it, and it is in better condition, drives better, and is more comfortable than the fiesta which is 4 years newer. So for now the 206 stays and fiesta goes. The oil leak on the 206 does look to be from the HG, at the cambelt end. It's running perfectly, the debate is do I run as it is in fix it? Presumably the leak will only get worse?. There is also a clonk from front right occasionally, chief suspect would be drop link I would think.
My advice for what it's worth (i.e. 2/3rds of sweet FA) would be to get it fixed. They're a nice little motor with a nice economical little engine, and you're probably going to end up liking it as the ride, from what I remember is pretty soft and back-ache friendly too, even if the seats aren't the best. If the rest of it is solid, for a few bob you could probably find an interior in VGC from a more luxurious model and have a lovely little runabout.

I've never owned a 206. There's one for next year then ;-)
daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

My ex had a 55 plate 1.4 16v sport 206 a few years ago. It was 3 years old when we bought it. It had sports seats and big wheels with low profiles and upgraded suspension. It was horrible. Very uncomfortable. The normal LX trim is comfier seats and comfier ride. It's like a different car. For the 200 quid outlay I can't go wrong really. It's not worn inside at all, could just be doing with a go with the shampooer

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

After a week with the 206 I've decided it is a good example. Everything works that should, there's a clonking from the front which is its only fault. I'm going to do the crusty bit on the bonnet and the one wheelarch then it will get a big clean. It's an ok car, but not a keeper. The garage that has the fiesta now have it going, it has a new wiring loom for the engine. It's getting a fresh mot next week then a quick clean and sold. I have no faith in it. Once it sells I will look for something else, hopefully with a 1.9 td xud engine. I don't do many miles now and fancy something from the 80's or 90's

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

daviemck2006 wrote: I don't do many miles now and fancy something from the 80's or 90's
You won't once you've spent a week in something from that era after having had the C4, C5 and even the 206..
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

^^^ :rofl2: ^^^.

Mark
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I tend to agree with you Mike. Cars from that era now are best enjoyed as weekend fun and not as daily drivers...

Even running something as basic as my C1 tells me that. New cars are pretty much stress-free...

Davie, no faith in a car is an excellent reason to get rid. Anything I loose faith in is sent packing, not just cars... Again, it's all about stress...
daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I need no stress. And Shaun's 205 should put me off an 80's car. They have the engine out and gearbox off. Have ordered a clutch, timing belt kit and water pump kit for it. Someone has changed the injection for a single car on the engine they bought, so that needs changing too. Had that been a daily it would be causing untold stress. It's also unlucky that it and the fiesta broke at the same time. I don't know what to do really. Since I bumped the c5 things have gone toes up. Money reserves are at an all time low, divorce and near 3 years on benefits have seen to that, can't afford a decent car now. The 206 does nothing for me, the ex's 55 plate sport didn't either when it was 3 years old. The only thing I have to say about it is its a car.
I may also need another operation on my back. To be honest that's bothering me more than anything else. I have no faith in it, i'm just wondering how I can replace it,,,,,,,, Any ideas?

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hurry up medical scientists, and get a decent functional exoskeleton working. Daviemck2006 needs it in a hurry!
daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

When the surgeon told me if it was a knee or a hip it would get replaced, but they can't replace a bit of spine, I asked if that was yet. His reply was yes, that's yet. I did offer to be a guinea pig in the name of medical research.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

May I ask, muscular, cartilage or skeletal ? and what position is the pain.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'm going to rudely hijack Davie's blog for one post and ask if you can suggest anything to help torn paraspinal muscles. .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

YES there is...that WAS my problem from an old HighJump (before mats) injury and too much water skiing.....

PM sent
daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

That's nae problem hijacking my blog Mike. My problems are skeletal. My back is slowly disintegrating, I believe it's called spondylitis. As I move about my spinal joints move trapping the nerves sending bolts of pain up my back and down my legs. The spinal stimulator that I have in is supposed to electrically block the pain signals to my brain. It doesn't seem to be working as it should, and now, 6 months later the wound has opened up and became infected. We hope penicillin clears the infection so the docs can figure out what has gone wrong. It seems I may need another op. For someone who has had a breakdown, my head not the car, this is playing on me and it's really not a good time.

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

Ah Dave.....sorry to hear about this. Are you back on the painkillers then? I have a mate with similar. Two cages built in the spine, still works, but shouldn't be working. No feeling in one leg, which is coming from spine of course. About 50, same as you?

The possible ops are a downer of course. However, an op might help you if they come up with something? When things like that aint good it paints the rest the same colour. Stay in touch on forum.