Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Looks like you looked at it!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Sure did. I like them in red. I think I'll either be buying my own back and fixing it, or buying another c5 or c4

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I've just had a call from the bodyshop. They are not going to pick up the car tomorrow and are recommending that the car is a total loss. Therefore no courtesy car and have to wait for an engineers report to be sent to insurance company. I need to hassle them then.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Davie

:cry: It's probably time to work out if it's worth claiming.... You've got £250 excess, and this will end the policy, so you've lost N months of the remaining policy. Then you will go back 2 years on your NCD, which is probably going to add £500 to the insurance over 2 years, plus there will be a hike in the premium (which may or may not be more than if you'd don't claim - as you should tell any new insurer about the incident, whether you decide to claim or not. I suspect a lot of insurance hassle is only going to find you up £100 or so on the deal....

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

If i was certain that a pair of normal headlights would work without problems then I would cancel the claim and fix it enough to do and continue to run it. Once the headlight was out I would maybe get the wing straight enough, touch in ye broken paint on wing and bonnet with a touch up pencil, fill the scrapes on the bumper and paint with a rattle can. Sorted enough for that 100 quid.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

RichardW wrote:I suspect a lot of insurance hassle is only going to find you up £100 or so on the deal....
....With a car with correctly specc'd headlights, a working heater and that's not (hopefully) been in a recent crash.

Surely this is what we pay insurance for? Why bother with anything other than basic third party if we never claim?

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

northern_mike wrote:

Surely this is what we pay insurance for? Why bother with anything other than basic third party if we never claim?
It is....but you can't deny the figures, and yes, maybe 3rd party is what we should have (but it can be more expensive):

Claim route:

Insurance offer £1200 (generous!), less £250 excess = £950 in hand. New policy required - sure davie said he paid £190 somewhere - now that is going to go up. Say it's 65% discount at present and is going to go 40%. So new policy = £325, and assuming it's loaded 20% for the claim (figure picked out of thin air!), it's now £390. Cash in hand now £560. Next 2 years insurance are going to be an extra £250 say because of loss of NCD, cash in hand now = £310. If the insurance offer comes in at only £1k then it's only £110 in hand :roll: Depends on how long the policy has to run of course, if it's nearly spent, then not so much of an issue (but it will still be hiked next year). New car at £1k cost to you = at least £700 and probably more.

If no claim is made, then no loss of policy or NCD (albeit there will be a price hike no doubt), you've got the car (min £100 scrap value), and can go looking for another at around £1k - which you've got to do anyway. Cost to you £900.

It's a fine line, Davie needs to get an offer from ins co, and an idea of the cost of next years policy before deciding to proceed. Still, if they're going to offer you £2k for it, party on down to the bank!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Ive just been out for a blast in the c5 using up some diesel before it goes away tomorrow. Went into a car sales I know quite well for a bit of advice. The trade value, CAP that they use is 1180 trade in, 2450 retail. He would have given 1800 as a trade in against anything he had for sale, and having looked at the condition of the car would expect it to get 1400 min at auction, where it would have ended up had I traded it in there. he said I should get near 2 grand from insurance as most of them pay nearer retail than trade now. I'm just wondering if I will have time to remove the towbar and expensive citroen specific electrics in the morning if its dry. To further muddy the waters until I know the price offered, at 115000 miles it is due a timing belt, the heater is still (-expletive removed-) which I was quoted £400 + parts + VAT from a citroen indy to do, and the clutch is slippy on occasions, so probably 2 grand needing spent on it in the next few months to make it perfect. So unless they offer some ridiculously silly low price its going and aint coming back. If they offer me a buy back it would have to be silly cheap and the whole car would appear on ebay as a damaged repairable. It would be worth more broken, but I cant be arsed. 1st claim in 32 years, well I just have to handle it. The next car will be a cheaper road tax band and easier on fuel so will claw back my no claims and the loss of 9 months of my insurance policy.

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

If claim don't go ahead, I assume the garage get their storage cost and time from Ins. Co. and Davie's NCD is intact.
Does that go as a cost though in estimating further Ins. Policy? Eg. you can make a claim for windscreen replacement without denting NCD. However it will affect future quotes. They don't give nowt for free.

Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern »

This may not end your insurance policy. When my 1st VTS was written off, they suspended the policy until I got a new car. I was very (pleasantly) surprised.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Just spied a very nice and beautifully polished up black c4 vts for sale. It doesn't have red stripes on it any longer, but has only done 5000 miles since I swapped it for a freelander, which incidentally has appeared for sale also, it has needed a head gasket, brakes, propshaft bearing drop links, anti roll bar bushes and an exhaust. Just as well I sold it then. The c4 according to his advert has just been serviced and needed nothing else. When I saw the c4 I was tempted, but then remembered there is a reason why I sold that car. It was not practical for me, and I dare say still wouldn't be. Its looking fabulous in his photos though. Vastly overpriced at £3000, only worth 2 maximum I would say.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Fake Concern wrote:This may not end your insurance policy. When my 1st VTS was written off, they suspended the policy until I got a new car. I was very (pleasantly) surprised.
Yes, that's correct. Thinking back to when I wrote my MX5 off, they suspended it and I was covered for the rest of the policy (361 days) with no further payment. It only went up by 50 quid at renewal too..

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

The C5 is away [emoji174] [emoji26]

Still no sign of a courtesy car[emoji35] had more words with Privilege Insurance. It could be into middle of January before claim is settled.

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

What about this one?
http://www.gumtree.com/p/citroen/citreo ... 1094056533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2.2 yes.......... but leather seats.......nicer than the dracula type two tone dralon. Low miles. Cazy lunt cannot clean it out seemingly......hence no pics inside?

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

A 2.2 wouldn't scare me. A lot of people don't like them but I loved my 03 plate 2.2. This one is about the Eolys top up and dpf clean. The stealer relieved me of about £400 to top up dpf on the last one, I think it was about 82000 miles. My local garage did the dpf. He removed it and blasted the airline through it. The cloud of soot that came out was quite a sight. I was standing beside him as he did it. I wish I had had a camera phone back then! It kind of negated the point of having a dpf. 80000 miles of soot in one go lol. I would have an estate, I like the wicked red ones and I fancy black leather. That could be a good boy if the Eolys and dpf are done. I can make a big difference with a day and some cleaning products. I have worked as a car valeter in the past. And it's not too far to go get, train to Edinburgh about £30, drive to my sisters 1/2 hr away, festive party for a day or two then £30 of fuel home. Sorted!