Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Post by CitroJim »

That's serious about Toyota parts Davie... I'm wondering if that might affect spares for the C1/107/Aygo given they're basically Toyotas?

You'd have thought a big firm like Toyota would have sorted the Brexit situation as it affects them by now...

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

The bora is ready for retest tomorrow. The garage that has the hilux got the job of getting the parts and sorting it. While I was there we discussed the hilux, with the result being he is going to ask the local shipyard if they have suitable threaded fittings if they can make up hydraulic hoses to use as power steering pipes. If this does happen then this will be a good solution. The hydraulic hoses on a fishing boat can be running at 5 to 6000 psi in difficult conditions so I think they would be up to the job of power steering pipes on a hilux. If it does come off it will be ready for MOT tomorrow too, maybe!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Bora passed MOT and taxed ready to resume food delivery duties. Still waiting on hilux parts. The rover is donated to Shaun. It only cost me 7 quid, so if he wrecks it then it gets sold spares or repairs, or if noone wants it then it will get weighed in. I hope he does not break it though, it's a sound old car, just not for me.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

And after 5 weeks I have the hilux back! Not got a MOT yet, but it is driving so good. It has new front springs, new rear shocks, new rear brakes, power steering fixed, abs fault fixed, couple of brake pipes so now is ready for mot. This has been an expensive week, just over a grand for two vehicles up for MOT at the same time, on top of buying the Yeti. I need to settle down and just buy diesel for a while for the cars and replenish the bank account. I am probably still going to sell the hilux, but I love the drive of it.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Hilux now has a fresh MOT. It failed initially for a hole about the size of a 5p in a sill. Quick run to a man with a welder, then back to the garage and MOT issued. It has an advisory on power steering pipes being poor, as they have been "fixed" read bodged due to NFP. So I now have 3 vehicles due MOT in February and March, still too close together and the wrong time of year.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yay, well done!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good news on the Hilux Davie 👍😎😀

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

And the vw bora has left the party. My poorer health was making it increasingly difficult to get in and out of it. Not good for doing 35 to 40 deliveries in an evening. I am presently using the Yeti for deliveries. The hilux is also for sale. I'm not too bothered if I sell it, but if I do I will be looking for something else for my work. Something diesel, auto, cheap on insurance and tax, a higher driving position, easy entry and exit. I may just have described coming back to citroen, a c3 picasso would probably suit.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

daviemck2006 wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 22:48
And the vw bora has left the party. My poorer health was making it increasingly difficult to get in and out of it. Not good for doing 35 to 40 deliveries in an evening. I am presently using the Yeti for deliveries. The hilux is also for sale. I'm not too bothered if I sell it, but if I do I will be looking for something else for my work. Something diesel, auto, cheap on insurance and tax, a higher driving position, easy entry and exit. I may just have described coming back to citroen, a c3 picasso would probably suit.
Sounds like you've just described a diesel Ford Fusion, Davie.

The higher seating/driving position was the main reason that my father had two of them as the first two Motability cars when after years of fighting with red tape we eventually got him onto the scheme. While our two had the decidedly thirsty 1.6 petrol engine, a friend of ours got a diesel one and rarely used to see less than 50mpg out of it - only question mark is whether the diesel was available as an auto, I honestly don't know. Don't imagine they're expensive to buy either these days. Basically a Fiesta under the skin so parts should be readily and cheaply available I'd think.

I always felt it was a car which was quite underappreciated. We had two of them over six years and really liked them. Loads of space inside, fiercely effective heater and absolutely dead easy to drive.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Zelandeth wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 12:11
daviemck2006 wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 22:48
Sounds like you've just described a diesel Ford Fusion, Davie.

The higher seating/driving position was the main reason that my father had two of them as the first two Motability cars when after years of fighting with red tape we eventually got him onto the scheme. While our two had the decidedly thirsty 1.6 petrol engine, a friend of ours got a diesel one and rarely used to see less than 50mpg out of it - only question mark is whether the diesel was available as an auto, I honestly don't know. Don't imagine they're expensive to buy either these days. Basically a Fiesta under the skin so parts should be readily and cheaply available I'd think.

I always felt it was a car which was quite underappreciated. We had two of them over six years and really liked them. Loads of space inside, fiercely effective heater and absolutely dead easy to drive.
I hadn't thought of a fusion. Mainly because I've never really got on with any ford ive ever owned, including a mk 6 fiesta, which is what the fusion is based on. The auto bit is not quite so important as the ease of entry and exit. Using the yeti just now and dont suffer the same pain levels that I did. It's just too good a car to be subjected to the work I do.

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Post by mickthemaverick »

I had a Fiat Doblo van for a few years and it fitted the bill perfectly taking into account load space and ease of access not to mention comfort and economy. Consider something like this Davie:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Fiat-Do ... SwRNFgVZ6W

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

daviemck2006 wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 14:03

I hadn't thought of a fusion. Mainly because I've never really got on with any ford ive ever owned, including a mk 6 fiesta, which is what the fusion is based on. The auto bit is not quite so important as the ease of entry and exit. Using the yeti just now and dont suffer the same pain levels that I did. It's just too good a car to be subjected to the work I do.
It's the access that really brought it to mind. My father had balance issues in addition to major issues with both his hips, so being able to get in/out with the bare minimum of contortions was a major factor. They both had the lightest clutch of any car I'd ever driven up to that point - to the extent that the first time I drove the red one I honestly thought I'd snapped the cable the first time I put my foot on it.

We had a couple of Fiestas at work of the same vintage as pool cars and they didn't honestly feel that they had any family resemblance to the Fusion aside from the dash layout really.

Sadly from a quick look (i.e. sticking the model into AutoTrader and seeing what drops out) it looks like the automatic was only offered on the petrol models so that's a bit of a non starter. Shame as it seemed a decent shout otherwise!

Still remember how proud Dad was when we got the first one - first new (or to be honest, not near-end-of-life) car he'd had since 1981!

The facelifted version which the second one was was definitely the better car though - they'd basically fixed everything which we found mildly irritating about the first one.

Sadly our local dealer stopped doing Motability halfway through the lease of the second one and Dad couldn't deal with driving into Aberdeen to get to the one that did - so we jumped ship to Peugeot after that, with a string of 208s. Which he had serious issues getting in and out of, but *just about* managed. Did mean I finally managed to demonstrate to him that diesel tech had moved on from the early 80s at long last though!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Zel, the pic of the red fusion shows how this car could well be suitable. The seat looks higher than normal off the floor, and the sill looks very low off the floor. For ease of entry and exit I'd does look ok. I would look at one before I decide.

Mick, I am considering something like a doblo. Van or car wouldnt make much difference, also worth considering are berlingo/partner, or the smaller nemo and sisters.

But, the hilux has not left yesterday as it should have, the buyer texted saying he couldn't manage and is now coming Sunday. I hope this is not a hoax sale, but I do have £200 deposit so I would think he is genuine. He is coming up from Glasgow, it was a very poor day weather wise here yesterday, but nothing that would stop travelling in my opinion. I am not doing anything until it is gone. I have a couple of left field things I want to see and drive. I have taken a shine to a Nissan cube. 1.5 petrol CVT, and boxy shape, although petrol supposed to have reasonable economy it not booted up. Or Mercedes A class, a few diesel autos on the go, worth investigating. The plan is to use about 1/2 the value at the most of the hilux on a 2nd car, and the rest creating an ensuite wet room upstairs off my bedroom, as the only toilet and bathroom is downstairs and in my old age and with my diabetes I have to go to the loo twice or even 3 times overnight, and I'm not steady on my feet on the stairs 1/2 asleep. And if the sale of the hilux does fall through then I may well keep it as it actually suits me perfectly for non work stuff and the yeti is perfect for work, apart from being too good to be subjected to it non stop. I cant remember if I said my old leon was bought by my work as a delivery car. In the two months since it has done nearly 7000 miles! I've never driven it since and to be honest have no inclination to do so. When it and the yeti are parked together you instantly see, although both having essentially the same floorplan, why the yeti is so much better for me. The leon was a good car to drive but it was killing me getting in and out, as was the departed bora. That's the single biggest thing about a vehicle I need.