Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 17:52
All the best with your search for a genuine ballast Davie, here's hoping you can find a scrappy who doesn't know the value of them 😉🤞

Sounds like the Hilux was well bought despite the MoT fail :)
It's due to it being a cat N writeoff. It has had nothing spent on it in the 6 months I have owned it. It still bears the scars of its accident, which consists of a scratch down the drivers side and that's it. I'm saying nothing spent, but it did get a service.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

The leon is going to a new owner. It's not going far, its going to be a hot food delivery car 7 days a week. The boss at the moment owns a golf tdi with the dsg box and two combo vans. Both combos are elderly and high mileage and both broke this week. I think that one may be repairable with bits off the other and he asked me to look for a van for him, he told me his budget. That would have bought a 3 or 4 year old van but with big mileage. I said do you fancy the leon for a delivery car? So a deal was done which means he has a 78000 mile leon which is essentially the same as his golf at about 1/2 his budget. That's a leon with full service history including timing belt and a new mot, and I have back every penny I have spent on buying it and servicing and repairs for two years. Cant beat free motoring! For now I will run the hilux and retrieve the bora from son. I'm not going to keep the rover, it is lowered and has a stupid exhaust, and is not the most comfortable or refined of things. Son can have the rover since he wants a diesel from me. I may now keep an eye out for a suitable replacement for the leon, or just run the bora until it dies.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a nice result on the Leon Davie :) And good plans ahead!

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I hope that Shaun has not f****d the Bora for you.

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

I bet the hilux has been handy Davie with the weather being like it is. How are you finding it economy wise ?

Mark

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 09:09
I hope that Shaun has not f****d the Bora for you.
The bora is sitting at my house needing new brakes. It's now on a sorn, due MOT in a couple of weeks and I'm wanting to split up the tests of the hilux and the bora. It needs the brakes all round and one track rod end. I have all the parts but it is too cold for me outside to do it just now. The plan is to leave it on sorn until say April then get it moted and back on the road then, as long as the old rover behaves that long.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

bxzx16v wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 15:58
I bet the hilux has been handy Davie with the weather being like it is. How are you finding it economy wise ?

Mark
I'm unconcerned about the economy of it. I have never worked it out to see how accurate the trip computer is. It usually says 27ish mpg, which I consider ok for a big heavy 4wd with a 3.0 engine and auto box. It is still in the garage yet, everything is done for mot apart from an abs sensor which is being troublesome to source.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Still no signs of the ABS sensor appearing and the hilux getting a MOT and returned to me. I have just had the rover for the last couple of weeks. I like it, but it doesn't like me. It starts and drives no problem and seems really easy on fuel. But it has one very big failing which makes it not one for me to keep. At some point someone has replaced all the springs with lowering springs. It is very hard on the road, crashing over e very minor imperfection on the road, and is a nightmare over speed bumps. So it will be going. I am now going to sell the hilux too, as I have just bought something to replace both it and the Leon in one go. So it's a Skoda Yeti 2.0tdi 4x4 dsg auto. I have had to finance it to get it, but the finance will be paid off as soon as the hilux leaves me. The Skoda should suit me, being a bit higher than a car for ease of entry and exit, being auto, heated seats, a tow bar for my trailer, and dreaded xenon headlights, which nearly put me off, but to get one with heated seats and 2.0tdi then the xenons are kind of compulsory. I was debating between two completely different cars to buy. It was either a yeti in the spec I found, or it would have been a cactus 1.6 hdi etg semi auto. However because of my experiences with the vw dsg box, and the c1 sensodrive I once owned I would have been very wary of a cactus, although I know the etg box is not the same as the sensodrive one was, it would have always been in my mind how bad the citroen was compared to the Seat one.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

FB_IMG_1613912797501.jpg
FB_IMG_1613912787747.jpg
FB_IMG_1613912777658.jpg
Theres the pics of my new arrival. I used it for deliveries last night, it's great. The higher driving position and the heated seats are a godsend for my back which doesn't want to work too well.

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Allegedly better on bumps than a Range Rover, if you carry a working tattooist in the back seat!
(Top Gear)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great to see you looking so happy Davie :D Looks like you and Yeti have just got married!

I hear the Yeti has a good reputation and I hope you'll both be very happy together :D

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have friends who run a pair of Yeti's. They are on the third pair since they started and nothing abominable has happened at all!! :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 18:41
I have friends who run a pair of Yeti's. They are on the third pair since they started and nothing abominable has happened at all!! :)
:lol: :-D You do make me giggle Mick!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Because its white it was suggested at work last night that I am an abominable snowman

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Having major problems getting toyota parts. The hilux has now been in a garage for 5 weeks getting what should really be some minor jobs for MOT. The two problem parts are an abs sensor, which has now been got, and a power steering pipe which seems to be unobtainable. Toyota cant say when it will arrive, it's due to their parts warehouse being in the EU, and now due to Brexit parts are just not getting to the UK. None of the usual motor factors here have any, and the garage has ordered from an ebay seller who claimed to have them, and then sent the wrong parts, twice! So the Hilux remains out of MOT therefore out of use.

So today, as the hilux was booked for MOT I had decided yesterday to fit the brakes and track rod end on to the bora and present it instead. So after a few hours yesterday afternoon and finding a duff balljoint while I was at it the car was presented to Graeme, my usual tester, without a new ball joint so knowing I would get a fail. There was also a tyre that looked iffy but I thought it might get an advise. As expected the car duly failed, balljoint and tyre as expected, but also both CV boots split, a rear axle Bush, and a hole in one sill very localised and about the size of a pound coin. It was commented on how sound the car is for 16 years and 245000 miles it is. I had forgotten how nice that car is to drive, for a VW it is amazingly comfy, very nearly on a par with my old xantia, and has far more grunt about it than the xantia had. It shows how well it's been looked after in the past, and its life and miles in the Bolton area all it's time have been good to it. It will soon be back on the pizza run, it is so much better than the rover for that. The rover would be ok if the lowered suspension was removed and standard suspension reinstated, but I have no intention of doing that. Shaun is still looking for a cheap diesel commuter so he can have it for the £7 it cost me lol