Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Post by Citroenmad »

Well it sounds as though you have found the car for you, if not the engine. I have to say I'm not a fan of petrol engines due to the rev happy nature. If in the correct and and I'm in the right mood then thats fine, I'll go for a thrash. But I don't want to appear to be thrashing the car just to get somewhere brisky, as is so easy to do with low revs in a diesel car.

I'm really considering a C4 at the moment, not sure if it will be Coupe or 5 door yet but certainly diesel. And no doubt the 1.6HDi as I like the economy figures and tax rating. That said the 2.0HDi 138 went well in my C5 and so in a C4, that would be pretty nice.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

The diesel I did test drive was a facelift 5dr vtr+ 1.6 egs, with 19000 on the clock, was ex motability and like most of them was scratched all over the place, and every wheel kerbed. Engine was smooth and quiet, but for me the gearbox totally spoiled it. I found it slow, unresponsive and ponderous, which was a pity because I think not many more years will pass before I need to get an auto. Also the garage had it about £1000 too expensive, and insulted me with the trade-in figure for the 107. As I went out the door the second word was OFF!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I wouldnt have an EGS C4, it would be manual only for me. I'm sure the EGS suits some people but they are very slow and jerky really, with a lack of 'creep'.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

This is unexpected. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261183475071? ... 1423.l2649 He told me he wanted it to learn daughter to drive in. I wonder if I have conned now by a dodgy dealer and there is something seriously wrong with the C4, it is hpi clear' but then that doesn't really mean much. As we all know there are lost of ways for a dodgy car to look ok. I need better weather to really go over it with a fine toothcomb.

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

That does seem a little odd but it might well be easily explained, maybe a change in circumstances ...

Looks a great little car and seems quite well priced there too. Looks so much better without that large chrome bar at the front 8-)

Have you managed to remove the covering on the glass roof of your C4 yet? I hope it is as you expect :)

The C1s and 107s sell like hot cakes, I wonder if the C4 was a bit difficult to sell so he took up the chance for a swap :?

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

The weather has been rubbish here Chris. Hasn't been much more than freezing temperature wise with occasional showers of rain and snow, and the cold goes for my back so the c4 has not been touched. Not even been out the door today. If it is better tomorrow, unlikely', then I might make a start on it. After that I don't know when I'll get near it, got to have a steroid epidural injection in the hospital on Thursday, never had one before, it should help with my problems, but is near enough guaranteed to make me even sorer for a couple of days before I see an improvement. As always the medical profession says it might even make me worse, full stop, but they always say something along that line when you go get some work done. I wish the human body was so easy to repair as a car!!!!!!!!!!

I will miss that 107, for a basic car,,,,,, well I've said my opinion before. It is in good nick that one, the only real mark on it is a tiny dent on the sill that is hardly noticeable. I had just caught the front corner, really just touched the paint on the plastic, a quick rub down and a rattle can and polish later and it's really unnoticeable also. Had been serviced every 10k by myself, always using decent oil. Just been serviced with new filters and plugs as well, only done 2k since. It will make someone a cracking wee car even though it's up a wee bit on the miles. It's amazing what a difference side stripes which cost me £17, and a bit of carbon fibre wrap, cost £5 and a wee bit of time putting them on made to the look of the car. The one thing I hated about that car was the chrome on the front. Really ugly. And so easily changed.

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

The weather hasn't been good here either, thick blizzards and fog yesterday :shock:

I think I might go for a look at some C4s at the weekend, see if there is anything tempting :lol:

Your 107 sounds like a great buy for the next owner. I am going to miss our C1, its a very handy car to have around and I just know it wont go wrong or if it did it would be something and nothing.

Good luck with your steroid injection, I hope it has the desired results :)

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I swapped the fronts and rears over today, well I didn't, my son did, and pleased to report the front discs and pads look very recent, the rears look original, but good enough. Does anyone know, I know these are very different callipers etc to the C5, but do these suffer from the same corrosion build up that the C5 and Xantia do. If they are original I would think they would be a bitch to get off after 6 years!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I am more annoyed right now than I've been for a long time. Nice day, went for a drive to price tyres locally, and get exhaust looked at. 2 tyres, dunlop or goodyear £100 each. He said the wheels and tyres were in excellent order. Exhaust that the rotten lying cheating theiving ba5tard of an Irishman said needed a wee braize up, rotten joint between back box and centre section, needs centre section and back box not far away. Centre section in mild steel £170, Full exhaust in mild steel garage would not say. Custom built stainless steel cat back £369 made on premises, built on the car as you wait. So that's£570 down. Then comes the worst bit. Got home, decided to get the heat gun on the roof and take off the carbon fibre. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!! Found the reason for the wrap and why the car was well below trade value. The glass roof is cracked, and I'm not talking a couple of Inches, there are three or four cracks nearly the length of the roof. Fvck knows how much that's going to fix. As if I werent having a bad enough time just now with medical problems and selling my family home cos I got a lying cheating sh1t of a wife trying to take me for all I've got. I'M FUxxING PIxxED OFF

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Oh dear :shock: :(

Thats not the news you want!

What will you do, get the roof wrapped again? The cheapest way and if you got the car for less than its worth then your not loosing too much come resale.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Either that or insurance job. My policy says glass damage £75 excess and not affecting No claims. It is glass. I'll need to phone them. You could not see the cracks inside with the roof wrapped. I could turn it into a pre DS3 racing with an orange roof, orange mirrors and powder coat the wheels orange, then some lairy orange graphics down the side.
But then, I'm only a few months short of 50. People will think I'm having a mid-life crises. They would be correct!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I was thinking insurance might do it, so long as your premium is not affected by glass and they cover the roof.

Otherwise, orange could work 8-)

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Dont know if that will work. Just been quoted £1307 from citroen for a new roof. They asked how it happened, and their advice was to wait a few weeks then try Insurance, cos if I try them too soon they might think I did get it like that. I'm in a total quandry at the mo about what to do. It is actually a cracking car apart from that and I really want to keep it. I've ordered a custom built exhaust, getting done next week sometime, and blagged two tyres off my daughter's astra wheels that she upgraded to 18's so thats all taken care of. Don't know if I would be happy driving around with the roof broken, even if it's wrapped, and I certainly could not sell it on like that, would just have to be away to auction or we steal any car and take a big loss :cry:

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

That's a terrible shame Davie about the roof - suspicious arose when I remember reading it had been wrapped.

Not surprised at Citroen's quote for the roof - infact dare I say it I was expecting more!

Hopefully you can get it through the insurance... [-o<

That custom exhaust will make it sound well Davie - a few more mods and you'll be pushing 200bhp...

A remap and a GSR Induction Kit will put you near that figure if you fancied going down that route in the future...

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm not really wanting to go for power, it's just that on balance the custom exhaust seems the best way to go when it needs a complete system anyway. It will get a K%N panel filter when serviced, that will be it as far as performance mods go. I mean I'm pushing 50 and used to a massive 68bhp, don't know If I could cope :-D If I get roof off insurance for £75 excess glass damage I'll be happy, otherwise I don'k know what to do. The idea of driving about with broken glass just held together with a wrap 2" above my head does not really appeal, and I could not do a con job like I got done to me, so I guess I'll end up out of pocket. It's a real shame because otherwise it's a good car, been looked after and drives really well and makes me smile even looking out the window at it, even dirty!. It's a bit plain down the sides, I'm having a little think just now abour graphics. I am wondering to go subtle, dark grey or silver graphics and tinted windows and black wheels, (remind you of something Franklin!) or go in yer face with orange. Depends on the roof i think. If insurance does it then subtle will be the order of the day, if not.............................who knows