Davie's french attraction.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Re: Davie's french attraction.

Post by daviemck2006 »

It means that I can manage the 107 with the aid of a twirly knop on the steering wheel quite adequately, so it's still ok for day to day use, something like a xantia v6 or 406 v6 kind of thing would be nice for comfy "Sunday best" car.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Might something like this help with your wrists?

http://powerballs.com

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I bought one of those powerballs and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'll get a better try when I get home again James.

The 107 picked a really bad time to tell me it wants new brake pads and discs today. If anyone has been north to Caithness will testify, the A9 north of Inverness is a decent road in bits, with some really steep hills and hairpin corners. 25 miles north of Inverness the brakes started scraping. I had a ferry to catch so couldn't do a total go slow. Believe me, going down the Berriedale braes in 2nd gear with the brakes scraping is not pleasant. And I have over 200 miles to do on Friday going home. It is sitting in a car park at Scrabster and I am sitting in my sister's new abode in Stromness. I will order discs and pads and hopefully get them fitted at the weekend. I did consider taking the 205 for the run, but decided on the 107 as it would behave better if there was snow, thin 155 section all weather new vredestiens on the front and recent Falkens on the back would be better than 1/2 worn 185 section budget summers on the 205!

On the run up the road, I am convinced that this 107 is less nippy than my old one was. This may be due to the fact it still has the original spark plugs and air filter, and front brakes for that matter after 54000 miles. I have a full service kit of plugs oil and filters to do it but the problems I am experiencing in my hands has delayed fitting them. It's going to have to be tuff on my hands though this weekend, or get someone else to do the big service it needs. It should then go better, and use even less fuel.

205 news, it's heavy to steer and that's it[emoji4]

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Enjoy your time on the island Davie :D

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Sorry to hear about the brakes, the 107 really doesn't have any engine braking to speak of, that I will testify to!...especially when I was used to the Skoda where you only need the brakes for the last 2mph...

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

That's the 107 got its new brakes, plugs, oil and filter and new air filter at just under 55000 miles. It was well overdue plugs, and brakes. The oil wasn't bad, think shaun changed it a few months ago, the air filter was not too bad. That's it's first brakes air filter and plugs. No wonder it was a bit sluggish. It's like a different car now. My right hand is not working well, it's a faff using left hand most of the time. However a set of discs and pads fitted at pug dealer is £200, a main service is near £200 also. If I can do it all in just over two hours then I have saved like £300! For me that's worth pushing myself and probably suffer later on or tomorrow for that! I have immense satisfaction tin that I did it myself, and did it all in my current condition, and that's worth a suffer after it also. I am working tonight, but then 3 days off to rest and get rejuvenated. We have had none of the rain that a lot of the country is suffering from. Howling gale of wind though!

On to the 205. It is still awaiting it's springs, it's going well as it is so it's not a high priority, so can wait yet. It's been a bit neglected, not started or moved for over a week, lying outside as I have no garage. I had to move it to get the drive for 107 and it started instantly, and couldn't resist a run out the road in it. I still love it and it still drives really well, more comfy than the 107 and once out the town the steering is vastly improved. The advantage of no power steering is the feel and feedback through the steering. That's great!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased the service has perked up the 107 Davie! Mine's due too.. I've done nearly 5000 miles now!!

£200 for a service on a 107? That's daylight robbery for the works that needs to be done :twisted: How do they sleep at night? I mean, it's not exactly difficult is it?

Just goes to prove my point that 205s are brilliant! I still say they are the best small cars ever.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Average service cost for my 107 was around the £250 mark up north. ...both of the dealers in question are no more. Funny that...

Obviously it's long off finance now and gets serviced by me. ...you have reminded me that it's long overdue plugs actually.

If I had the space I would totally make you an offer for the 205. Have never owned one but always fancied one.

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

That would have been Glenvaragill in Aberdeen, then I think peugeot went to Kemnay, I can't remember their name, but it is now an Arnold Clark, which is about the only thing worse than a pug dealer lol. It's Alan Milne in Elgin I use when a pug dealer is called for. They are good, although pricey, as we have bought two 107 from them I get a courtesy car no problem if I ever use them, but now this one is out of warranty I'd be willing to bet it will never be back there. Not at 200 notes for a service, which on these is little more than an oil change!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm pleased just now that I have two cars that I like and do what they are supposed to do with little or no problems. I thought the 205 was going to play silly beggars, as one day I turned the key and the ignition lights came on then went off and a click from a relay in the fuse box instead of starting. It got bump started that night and it's been perfect since. I have no explanation for this other than its a 20 year old french car! The heavy steering is not good in the town, but it's ok out of town.
I would sell the 205 if something big and comfy or something fast for fun came up at the right price. For example a certain c4vts LEZ6446 which has just been advertised locally at a reasonable price, only having covered 15000 miles or so in the two years since I sold it. I only sold it as it was not good for me as a daily, but for an occasional fun toy,,,,,,,,,mmmmm tempting to take it home.[emoji4]

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Go for it Davie!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

Not going to buy back my old c4. It hasn't had timing belt done and it's due and the clutch is on its last legs and no replacement exhaust yet either, which shows how good the last bodge repair I got done to it was, but can't be far from one so it would need to be seriously cheap to be worth it.

Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern »

You should get the C4 back Davie, it's a great car! How much are they asking?

BenC5HDi
Not Mike

Post by BenC5HDi »

Going off my cousin's experience with his C4 VTS 180 recently, if it needs a new clutch, exhaust and a timing belt kit, the price should be near enough free...

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I thought it was not far from a clutch when I sold it. It still looks in fantastic condition, still a real gloss to the paintwork. It's done 75k now which isn't a lit for a 2007 car, the guy selling is not who I sold it to and he's looking for £1500. I think it probably wouldn't be far from tyres either, it had 4 nearly new good years 15000 miles ago. To do the cambelt and water pump would be £500 I would think, I remember getting a quote of about £330 for a stainless steel cat back exhaust, before you added in a clutch and possibly 4 tyres I'd be spending 3 grand. That's worst case scenario but too much of a risk for me. He is not budging from his price, I was thinking of offering a grand! I did love the driving of it and there was not any chips or sratches on it or any signs of previous damage. There's another vts for sale locally for £450. I'd rather go look at it if I were to go the C4 route again