Is it just me....or is it rudeness?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Is it just me....or is it rudeness?

Post by qprdude »

Have to agree. I know lots of polite youngsters. I know a lot of bloody rude older people as well. As you say Mike , rudeness has no age barriers. Thankfully, there seem to be very few on the FCF.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

mendedit wrote: AND don't get me started on the woman I held a door open for once
This isn't a new thing. Back in 1996 I stood up on the tube to give my seat to an obviously pregnant lady, and she simply went into a mad rant at me. I suspect she was probably having a bad day (who wouldn't when they have to use the tube?). She called me a sexist pig, swore at me, asked me if I thought she was incapable of looking after herself, called me a ***T and had a right old go at me and just stood there staring.
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Here's a little "forum" story for you: Was trying to mend airgun for nephew, joined airgun forum site for "quick bit" of infor and resolve problem. Came over as rude to the forum admin guy (a guy with a name that sounded like "dave hall") for not officially introducing myself and slagged me off on the thread I started. I found his phone number as he advertised himself as a gun repairer of note and rang him to put things right. I introduced myself, he was slightly surprised, embarrassed and felt the need the need to explain himself - I politely explained my young nephews problem and after chatting he even offered to repair the gun free of charge, just pay for postage, saying "how nice am I" and we laughed. Could not have been a more polite and friendly conversation. Said to email him my details and he would give me address to send gun. I thanked him and ended call as "made up friends". I also thanked him on forum. He then ignored my emails. I worked out a repair myself and had the gun up and running and posted as such on the site but have since been permanently prevented from accessing the site.

The internet and forums de-personalise us and always will. You can moralise forever but not everyone joins a forum to be best buddies with members, everyone's different and some have faster lifestyles than say retired people but at the end of the day if someone receives good advice they should say thank you which I would have done on the airgun forum given the chance - if the admin guy was not so aggressive when dealing with a "newby." Unlike this site where everyone is more mature and civilised and free with excellent information to help each other. Thats why I tune in.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed that this thread was even started as generally it does not belong on here.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Jeff wrote:Here's a little "forum" story for you: Was trying to mend airgun for nephew, joined airgun forum site for "quick bit" of infor and resolve problem. Came over as rude to the forum admin guy (a guy with a name that sounded like "dave hall") for not officially introducing myself and slagged me off on the thread I started. I found his phone number as he advertised himself as a gun repairer of note and rang him to put things right.
Am I alone in finding this a little creepy? I wouldn't want anyone off even this forum rooting out my number and ringing me up without my permission, or say, if CitroJim had given my number to , for example Chris570 because I told him too..
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Jeff, I started the thread after looking back over a couple of weeks and seeing that some members are a little short on manners. I wanted to see what fellow members thought, and it has turned into a decent debate, with NO aggression so far, just opinions. Why would you feel that the topic doesn't belong here? There are loads of non Citroen threads around, and surely the forum is better if people can discuss other subjects? If not, I am in the wrong place. Of course, if you feel that it doesn't belong here, you don't have to contribute, that's the beauty of the FCF. It seems to be administered and moderated by some pretty laid back guys. Sorry you feel the thread shouldn't be here, but the amount of opinions expressed on it, seem to say otherwise.

Northern Mike, No you're not alone.
Rick.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

do i qualify as a grumpy old git as i get my bus pass this month
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:do i qualify as a grumpy old git as i get my bus pass this month
NO! You're just a stripling Maclolm :twisted:

And you certainly don't qualify for the grumpy appellation.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

must just be a dirty old man then (H Arold ) :shock: :twisted: :roll: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Jeff wrote:Here's a little "forum" story for you: Was trying to mend airgun for nephew, joined airgun forum site for "quick bit" of infor and resolve problem. Came over as rude to the forum admin guy (a guy with a name that sounded like "dave hall") for not officially introducing myself and slagged me off on the thread I started. I found his phone number as he advertised himself as a gun repairer of note and rang him to put things right.
Am I alone in finding this a little creepy? I wouldn't want anyone off even this forum rooting out my number and ringing me up without my permission, or say, if CitroJim had given my number to , for example Chris570 because I told him too..

The forum administrator / airgun tuner was advertising on the same forum for business with his phone number in a prominent position. Because I very politely confronted his rudeness I am somehow "creepy" Lol
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

I enjoy being a dirty old man as long as it isn't costing to much and it's warm.
The world is full of them and a lot are in
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

citronut wrote:do i qualify as a grumpy old git as i get my bus pass this month

No, you get less grumpy when you get your bus pass. It means you can travel enormous distances for nothing. Sometime you even remember what you went for, but eventually you realise that you just got something for free, so you don't care anyway. Plus the fact that you won't get tailgated, sideswiped or cut up. I often get the bus into Aberdeen from our little town. The bus has on board free Wi-Fi, so the hours journey gives me time to fire up the Google Nexus 7 tablet and check the FCF.
I can have lunch and a drinkypoo without worrying about being pulled up by Mr Plod and not paying diesel or parking charges means the lunch is well subsidised.
I sometimes pretend to be grumpy though, as the youngsters expect it, and who am I to disappoint. :roll:
I've had my pass for 22 months, and must have saved a couple of hundred quid in fuel and parking.
Rick.

MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

qprdude wrote: The method of asking is a bit iffy too sometimes. No introduction, just "Quick question...............................?" and then nothing.
And your name again was?

Whilst I agree with you there are lots on here who are very appreciative and it is important to get both sides of the story. :oops: :wink: :roll:

Thanks
Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Jeff wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:

The forum administrator / airgun tuner was advertising on the same forum for business with his phone number in a prominent position. Because I very politely confronted his rudeness I am somehow "creepy" Lol
Yes. Honestly. It's creepy. I've been using the internet , usenet and various forums for nigh on 18 years now. If I had rang everyone who'd ever been rude to me for no reason on a forum or a usenet group I'd have spent a huge amount on phone bills.

There is no reason this thread does not belong here.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

While I admit that I may be biased the stand out thing about this forum is the gentlemanly disposition of the members.

It is a rare thing to see any rudeness or unfriendliness. Well worth preserving IMO.

This carries on into real life too. I haven't met a member who was anything other than polite, friendly and helpful.
Long may this continue.
While I may be lumped in with the old guys (due to retire next week - 'ain't gonna happen) I don't think I can be described as grumpy.
Anyone who disagrees will have me to deal with, so watch it :twisted:

Just to add: as Franklin says, because you are young does not mean you are rude or impolite. The younger members of this forum dispel that myth admirably.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

myglaren wrote: Just to add: as Franklin says, because you are young does not mean you are rude or impolite. The younger members of this forum dispel that myth admirably.
I've met a couple of the younger (or even youngest?) members of this forum, and I have to say they are extremely polite! I've met some of the older ones too, who are also just as polite.
Everyone is impolite when armed with a big spanner and a stuck bolt though.. :-)