XUD Valve Shims

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: XUD Valve Shims

Post by CitroJim »

smoker wrote:Think I'd rather tackle it now, especially as summer's here!
I agree, it many be next winter that starting problems arising from tight clearances and the odd XUD quirk of having tightest clearances when stone-cold come and bite you.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
smoker

Post by smoker »

I was thinking, rather than disturbing the whole timing belt end, I could zip tie the belt to the cam sprocket, unbolt the cam sprocket while keeping it tensioned then suspend it for example from the underside of the bonnet using a bunjee chord or similar. Is this a recognised process, or just mad corner cutting?

Separately I'll try to contact a few cylinder head reconditioners to see if they have shims on a sale or return basis.
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd not bother with that as its so so easy to tension the XUD with its auto tensioner (assuming its not seized but there's ways around it) as you'll have to unbolt the tensioner to get the head off anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

No !!Just reading that makes me shudder......... One false move and you will have bent valves,a camshaft in four pieces and cracked head caps when you try to start it.
Its a proper job or nothing.If you don't its going to defeat the object of adjusting the clearances in the first place??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

smoker wrote:I was thinking, rather than disturbing the whole timing belt end, I could zip tie the belt to the cam sprocket, unbolt the cam sprocket while keeping it tensioned then suspend it for example from the underside of the bonnet using a bunjee chord or similar. Is this a recognised process, or just mad corner cutting?
Oh gosh no :evil: As OldPug says, do it properly. It's an accident waiting to happen...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

smoker wrote:I was thinking, rather than disturbing the whole timing belt end, I could zip tie the belt to the cam sprocket, unbolt the cam sprocket while keeping it tensioned then suspend it for example from the underside of the bonnet using a bunjee chord or similar. Is this a recognised process, or just mad corner cutting?
Yes! Do it! Please post pictures of the results!

I once changed a timing belt by cutting it in half along its length with a stanley knife, sliding half of it off, sliding the new one half on, and cutting the remainder of the old one off. Wriggled the new one fully onto the sprockets, job done.

That was on a Ford Pinto.

Seriously, You're dealing with something with the potential for engine ruining damage if you get it wrong. Don't risk it..
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Consider yourself well and truly chastised smoker.
smoker

Post by smoker »

Hangs head in shame. :oops:
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote: I once changed a timing belt by cutting it in half along its length with a stanley knife, sliding half of it off, sliding the new one half on, and cutting the remainder of the old one off. Wriggled the new one fully onto the sprockets, job done..
You old bodger :evil:

I have heard of that being done on an XUD and another variation doing it with the engine running to make slicing the belt easier :roll:

Thing is if it goes wrong on a boat anchor (sorry, Pinto) it's a non-interference engine so it just stops. On an XUD it's to all intents and purposes bye bye head..
smoker wrote:Hangs head in shame. :oops:
No need, you asked a fair question and suggested a method and we just pointed out that it could all end in tears... No shame there and exactly what a forum is for :wink:
Jim