A Good Source of LT71141...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: A Good Source of LT71141...

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote:A bit hard to be 100% certain since your picture is zoomed in too far to see the context of where it is but if its on the bottom of the gearbox and has an allen key drive in the middle then yes that will be it. From memory its 5mm or 6mm. To undo it you'll need an alley key bit for a normal 3/8" drive ratchet.
Yeah it wasn't easy to take the picture under the car, at first I could not see the plug at all, I knew I was looking at the gearbox (going by that it's under the airbox etc), but the drain plug was very well disguised for me.

Thanks for the tip on the allen key bit for the ratchet, will see if my toolbox has one big enough to fit it :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Pretty sure that's a UFO Ben.

:mrgreen:
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

myglaren wrote:Pretty sure that's a UFO Ben.

:mrgreen:
that gave me a well needed chuckle, thanks! :lol: :mrgreen:

Maybe next time I need to take a mirror with me so I can at least see what the phone is trying to capture, and hopefully get it to focus :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Forgive me if you are already aware of this but there should be a Macro setting on the camera for close focussing - looks like a tulip.
Even my ancient, crap HTC has it.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

myglaren wrote:Forgive me if you are already aware of this but there should be a Macro setting on the camera for close focussing - looks like a tulip.
Even my ancient, crap HTC has it.
Yeah, doesn't appear to be one on the iPhone 4 (good ol' Apple! just tap to focus on something, bit difficult to see when you can't see the screen).... Maybe should take my Powershot G7 out for the task, at least it has a manual focus by distance (and a macro mode).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The drain plug is easy to spot Ben and as Simon has said, it's the only one on the underside of the gearbox with an Allen (hex) socket head. It can't be missed really - just look at the lowest point of the gearbox.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

CitroJim wrote:The drain plug is easy to spot Ben and as Simon has said, it's the only one on the underside of the gearbox with an Allen (hex) socket head. It can't be missed really - just look at the lowest point of the gearbox.
That'll definitely be it then :) I was half looking for a bolt to undo.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ben82 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:The drain plug is easy to spot Ben and as Simon has said, it's the only one on the underside of the gearbox with an Allen (hex) socket head. It can't be missed really - just look at the lowest point of the gearbox.
That'll definitely be it then :) I was half looking for a bolt to undo.
I suppose we should be lucky it even has a drain plug being sealed for life and all that :roll:

Shame it doesn’t have a proper filler hole though. It is jolly tedious filling it through the breather or dispstick hole :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

How long does it generally take to fill it with ~4l?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ben82 wrote:How long does it generally take to fill it with ~4l?
About 20 minutes Ben...
Jim

Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

CitroJim wrote:
Ben82 wrote:How long does it generally take to fill it with ~4l?
About 20 minutes Ben...
Thanks Jim, that's not *too* bad then, I was thinking (going by all the "it's slow" comments) it may take upwards of an hour 8-[
Glad I overestimated though :D
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Do the v6 transmissions have an oil line that goes to the radiator to act as a heater and cooler? I know my soarer does and that's a really good way to flush the system out instead of using the drain plug. See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0W_iIMLZcc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That works out about five minutes per litre Ben and that's still a long time to gently pour from a jug into a funnel...

Dom, no not like that as the HP20 has a water/oil cooler mounted atop the gearbox. However there is an external feed pipe with a banjo union on the end of it acting as the main feed from the cooler to the gearbox itself.
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Could you not disconnect one of the supply pipes to the heat exchanger to do a "hot flush" of the gearbox Jim ? Connect one end to a 20 litre drum of new oil and the other end to a waste drum, let it idle as it pumps the new stuff in and pumps the old stuff out, and switch it off when the stuff coming out is clean ?

Of course unless done very carefully it could be a recipe for letting dirt and muck from around the hose coupling into the gearbox, and I'm not sure whether the oil pump would regulate the incoming and outgoing oil flow to the same volume when they're not connected - eg would it drain the exact amount that went in or would it end up overfilling it if you weren't careful ?

Perhaps if the new oil drum was below the gearbox (and the hose primed) so that the pump had to suck it in rather than gravity feeding it would prevent it overfilling ? Of course you would want to check the level when finished...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
stevelp

Post by stevelp »

Hi. How many litres should come out of an XM?
As you know, the XM doesn't have a dipstick so I going to work on the 'replace with the same amount you drained out' principle. But it would be nice to know how many litres is 'normal' to change on an XM (just in case my gearbox is half empty!).
Cheers
Steve