A Good Source of LT71141...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: A Good Source of LT71141...

Post by Ben82 »

Jim, was that from the company you posted originally or oeldepot?
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Company I posted originally Ben...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

CitroJim wrote:The Company I posted originally Ben...
Almost 3 weeks? Ouch. According to opie there were some supply issues at Mobil recently so maybe a contributing factor.

I did also contact nielsencdg, who did say to me they were looking at spicing both 1l bottles and 20l barrels from Mobil, and would get back to me, suffice to say they haven't yet though.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:I've only just received my barrel of LT...
[...]
The XM can have a gearbox oil change now...
Or two, or three.... :-D
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:
CitroJim wrote:I've only just received my barrel of LT...
[...]
The XM can have a gearbox oil change now...
Or two, or three.... :-D
Depends on what the first drain looks like Simon. She's performing beautifully but as I have 20 litres of the stuff it might be rude not to do a couple...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Mine was performing beautifully with no symptoms when I first got it too Jim, then less than 1000 miles later it was groaning and grinding like it was about to die. :(

Just saying...

By the way I'm not driving mine much because of the engine performance issues but the last few times I've driven it I've noticed the gear changes are really smooth - even 2nd to 1st in sport mode no longer jolts, its a sudden but smooth change. A world of difference from a few months ago when I thought it was auditioning for the knackers yard...

4HP20's REALLY like clean oil it seems.... :wink:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I wonder if this supplier could do you a deal on LT4711?

Oh, the irony!
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

@Simon, what does the groaning and grinding sound like on a sick box?

Mine has always had a bit of a groan every now and again with accelerating in the car (generally when cold), and generally for me letting off the accelerator briefly it will go away. I've often thought nothing of it, and it's just one of the characteristics of the engine (also none of the garages that have had the car have pointed it out at all as being a problem) so didn't think much of it until you mentioned it.

Closest thing I can think of that mine sounds like when it does it is a deep dog growl lol
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm, hard to describe really, its more like a metallic shudder. Imagine a welded steel table with bare steel legs dragged across smooth concrete. :)

Mine did it worst in 3rd gear at around 1500 rpm with the torque converter lockup clutch locked and wide throttle. Particularly between 20-25mph in around town traffic up a hill. At first it only did it with wide open throttle but it got progressively worse to the point where I couldn't accelerate up a hill at 25mph without it shuddering almost constantly...I was having to manually change down a gear to keep the revs above the "danger zone"... :?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Unless that table is being dragged at a constant high speed, I think it's safe to say we're talking about different noises.
All the same will try to remember to capture it tomorrow as it could be the 4HP20 growling rather than the engine :)
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

No luck this morning...

Anyway, one thing I've been reading for the C5 that with the lack of a dipstick, checking the level is based on the gb oil temperature reading and whether there is oil coming out of the drain hole! Has anyone done it this way?
My understanding of it is thus too:
- Engine idling without anything putting load on it (ac/heat etc).
- Use Lexia to monitor the GB Temperature
- When it is ~55C, remove the drain plug
- If no oil comes out, then top it up with half a litre and start again.
- When it is ~60C (and oil is coming out), replace the drain plug.

This sounds really unreliable compared to a dipstick! Also (probably a good point) means I can't chicken out and give it to the Indy to do as I would need to let them borrow my laptop and Lexia (and I'd need to take time off work!). :)

Also would this be something worthwhile getting for doing it? (Found it whilst looking for a ~ 5l measuring jug).
furriegurrie

Post by furriegurrie »

I found those to be too big and clumsy to use so it all became messy with spilled oil. I've created something my self from a smaller funnel with a piece of hose connected to it. This I could place so it would sit more or less on it's own so you can leave it to empty and drip completely. As my gb does have a dipstick this was useful as you need to take out the funnel for every measurement. The outside diameter of the hose needs to be slightly smaller than the filling hole to allow for air.
It does take some time to fill as unfortunately the hose diameter will be small....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

furriegurrie wrote:I found those to be too big and clumsy to use so it all became messy with spilled oil. I've created something my self from a smaller funnel with a piece of hose connected to it.
That's exactly what I use and the pipe will catch behind something convenient to keep it held nicely upright,

Down side is it take a time to refill a gearbox. In the cold the time is measured in geological epochs..

I've checked according to procedure and it's not as bad as it sounds... The method is to remove the plug and the level is correct when a stream becomes drips so there is still some guesswork and interpretation involved..

I much prefer to measure what comes out and measure the same back in. No guessing then..
Jim

Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Thanks furriegurrie and Jim, what size is the hole? trying to gauge what sort of funnel and tubing I need to get :)

Jim, yup wanting to do the "amount that comes out" = "amount that goes in", but wanted to ensure it was at the correct level too afterwards (just incase it had lost any etc)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ben, I use a length of tube about two feet long and the diameter is just smaller than the breather hole in the gearbox.. I used a funnel that had a spout so sized that the end would fit tightly into the tube... the widest part of the funnel is around five inches across perhaps...

I used clear tube so you can see when the tube is empty else you'll have a mess if you withdraw it too early and it's still half-full of ATF..
Jim