Stick or twist?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Stick ot twist?

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote: I'm tempted by superloopy's V6, but that comes at c£1k year fuel penalty, so perhaps not!
Have you taken leave of your senses Richard ? :-D A brilliant car the V6 as long as the gearbox is in good nick, a brilliant and relatively easy to work on engine (I think I've just been unlucky with the problems on mine) and if I didn't already own this one I would have given serious consideration to buying Superloopy's one.. but frugal on fuel it ain't. :wink:

Mind you long motorway miles are what it's designed for, they can manage a respectable 33-34mpg cruising at 60-70mph, and it puts a smile on your face every time you press the loud pedal :twisted: It's short runs in stop start traffic that kills the mpg, so its definitely not a shopping cart. How many miles a day do you do and how much of that is motorway cruising ? A fair bit I'd imagine.

If you do lose your senses and buy it I'm happy to help with anything it might need doing - for better or worse I think I know the foibles of the gearbox and engine of the V6 inside out now :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this looks very nice, private sale as well....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ouch, 0-62mph in 13.3 seconds :shock: Must be a fairly heavy beast! Even my 123hp 2 litre petrol auto Xantia could have easily beat that, and it was no speed demon... But great fuel economy and otherwise a very nice looking car... :)

I have to say, my next car (or next but one) may well be a C5 X7, there's a lot to like about them, although I'm yet to sit in or drive one. The earlier C5 models don't appeal to me at all, except as a means to get from A to B.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yep a c5 could be next as per your first post Rich..

mine is the old thing, but still looks tidy, has been almost faultless in 2 years and only set me back 600 to start with..

I think my trailing arms may need attention sometime.. something definitely knocks or rattles these days... otherwise not much to report.. just a cold start issue I am yet to get to the bottom of..

Also, after Citroen Xm's sort-of praise for the 1.6, and that the 2.0 16v hdi's seem good.. a newer C5 could be worth a look..
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Can't believe some of the sentiments. By the criteria of some of you guys, we'd still be riding horse and carts!!
Move on. There comes a time when every car becomes uneconomical to keep on the road. A time when it's technology becomes outdated. A time when parts get more difficult to source. A car Doesn't have feelings. It's a piece of machinery, nothing more nothing less. When it starts to cost more than the total worth to get through an MOT, it's time to let go.
For the dedicated owner, who wants to keep a classic on the road whatever the cost, it's fine to finance it, but for the cost concious driver, it just doesn't make sense.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:Can't believe some of the sentiments. By the criteria of some of you guys, we'd still be riding horse and carts!!
Move on. There comes a time when every car becomes uneconomical to keep on the road. A time when it's technology becomes outdated. A time when parts get more difficult to source. A car Doesn't have feelings. It's a piece of machinery, nothing more nothing less. When it starts to cost more than the total worth to get through an MOT, it's time to let go.
For the dedicated owner, who wants to keep a classic on the road whatever the cost, it's fine to finance it, but for the cost concious driver, it just doesn't make sense.
Hear hear!

(Says the man who just bought a 16 year old V6 Xantia)

The Berlingo is near enough 10 years old now but it's only on 95k and in sound condition. That's the car we rely on, it won't be the Xantia. That's just amusement for me and for the journeys up for cheap fuel. The Berlingo will stay as long as it only requires the usual consumables.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Stick or twist?

Post by RichardW »

Up to now it's only needed mostly consumables, with the odd 'extra' thrown in. This is the first time it's had a 'serious' fail at an (attempted) MOT. TBH I knew it was coming - I've seen the state of the pipes underneath.... Could do without buying another motor just now, but there you go! I think C5 is probably where I'll end up. C4 too small really (I use it like a builder's van really, and likely to be worse later this year, as planning an extension); Berlingo would suit, but not that many available, and most are without AC, and the current edition is still too dear; Xsara estate would probably do, but can't see any locally; Xsara Picasso is another possibility, plenty about, but our last one was hardly a paragon of reliability!! Current options include: C5 2.0 HDi 16V Exclusive estate (105k miles @ £2k); C5 1.6 HDi 110 VTR+ Estate (65k / £4k); Xsara Picasso 1.6 HDi 110 Exclusive (80k; £2250). Must be a glutton for punishment, 2 1.6 HDis on the list, having just changed a turbo on our other one!! The 2.0 C5 looks pretty smart, probably go and see it on Friday.
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Northern_Mike wrote: (Says the man who just bought a 16 year old V6 Xantia)
Superloopy's ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

When it starts to cost more than the total worth to get through an MOT, it's time to let go.
some old cars will never cost what the new car depreciates. When you are dropping 3 and 4k a year on a new one, the above statement seems illogical.

Both schools of thought say the same thing..............cars are not an investment?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote: (Says the man who just bought a 16 year old V6 Xantia)
Superloopy's ?
No, Hydrocobra's..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

lexi wrote:
When it starts to cost more than the total worth to get through an MOT, it's time to let go.
some old cars will never cost what the new car depreciates. When you are dropping 3 and 4k a year on a new one, the above statement seems illogical.

Both schools of thought say the same thing..............cars are not an investment?

True, but the OP isn't talking about a new car, just a newer car. The car he's interested in will have lost most of the depreciation long ago.
Rick.

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

True, but the OP isn't talking about a new car, just a newer car. The car he's interested in will have lost most of the depreciation long ago.
That's the way I like em Rick!
At the end of the day it is what you can stand on money hits OR "mechanical torture" :rofl2: You just have to balance for your capacity either way I suppose.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

They reckon(the motor industry) that depreciation of a "new" car lasts for 8 years, then the depreciation is mileage and condition related so realistically, if you buy an 8 year old motor and look after it until the bills get too high, you should be quids in. The optimum for reasonable technology , low depreciation and fairly good condition is said to be a 5 year old car.
Thing is, you can buy a 5 year old car with 30,000 on the clock and think your getting a good deal with low miles, but it might have been thrashed to death for every single mile. It's a lottery I tells ya.
Buying a new car will never be a problem for me though unless it's one of those Indian single seat electric thingies.
I think the newest car I've owned has been 4 years old. I envy guys who still have the energy and funds to keep the older cars running, but I couldn't live without my heated massage leather seats , sat nav, proper suspension, park sensors , electric brake window blinds etc etc etc. Well , not at the moment, but I'm seriously considering an old Fiesta runabout if I move South .
Rick.

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The newest car i have was 7years old when i bought it and i still have it :)

Saying that it hasn't actually depreciated much other than normal running costs and the normal mechnicals :)

on the other hand i've bought older stuff for £2-600 and then run it into the ground.

Man maths for me is that they are cheap to run ( 80p/l) get good MPG (45+) are reasonably cheap to keep going (biggest bill in the last 2 years was £200 for one!) but when they cost more for a repair than i have paid for them they go straight on fleabay and gumtree :)

a new or nearly new decent car is knocking on at least £200 PCM for payments unless you buy outright. that buys another car easy enough after 2 months that i actually own and wont lose much money on.

Worst example, Saab 93. Cost me £400 with 1/2 tank of juice. I ran it but the engine was more gone than i thought so it last 3 weeks. I sold bits off it totally £300 and then the scrap for £75. £25 i lost on that :) not bad for 3 weeks of motoring at warp speed!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Glutton for punishment I must be - just bought another 1.6 HDi 110....clothed in a Pug 307 SW body. No noise from the turbo, but it will be getting the filter removed pronto when it arrives!

End of an era - first time we haven't had a hydraulically sprung car in the family for about 35 years :cry:
Richard W